KSBJ files to move their transmitter site to cover more people - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KSBJ files to move their transmitter site to cover more people

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldtech1 View Post
    KSBJ announced on air this morning their intentions to move to the new site by next summer. They said the cost will be near 1 million dollars for a new tower. It's sounds like the will rebuild the current tower at the new transmitter site or co-locate a tower right next to the existing one.
    Interesting, but not entirely unexpected. That tower has been there for a long time, and I noticed they have taken a lot off of it. Perhaps KSBJ is saving KPFT the expense, and it is a tremendous windfall for KPFT. There isn't a lot of room on that parcel of land for another tower, unless they go up right beside the existing tower. That isn't unheard of, I think I see two closely spaced towers on Senior road. Still, the proximity of Fairbanks / N. Houston road is a concern for all involved. If it ever went down, it could potentially cross Fairbanks N. Houston, fall into houses, fall into a business, etc. The transmitter shack also looks pretty small, they may have to add on / build their own.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrucecarter5 View Post
    If it ever went down, it could potentially cross Fairbanks N. Houston, fall into houses, fall into a business, etc.
    Unlikely. Towers that fall generally collapse or "crumble" rather than falling like a tree. Particularly if they are guyed structures, they will often come down in a radius not much larger than a couple of tower sections. The only "straight falls" I have seen or heard of were intentional fellings where a tower crew cut all of the guys on one side at once or when a controlled detonation was used on a self-supporting tower.

There are likely rare cases of straight falls, but their rarity just shows how unlikely such a fail would be.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

That tower is an old Allied tower ...Bob Moorman's old company...he has been gone for a couple of years after retirement years ago..had several towers around Houston supporting two way and some broadcast...
    Possibly KSBJ could put a new antenna up that KPFT could diplex into...that would reduce loading on the stick...time will tell...an antenna with less bays would require KPFT to increase TPO to compensate but not much and they probably can do that with the current xmtr

I do notice that the tower has been considerably less loaded in the last few years, perhaps cell sites have been deserting it.
    I saw a new cell tower that popped up in front of the tower (closer to BW 8) on my last trip to Bush a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ContinuousWave View Post
    an antenna with less bays would require KPFT to increase TPO to compensate but not much and they probably can do that with the current xmtr
    They just replaced their tube transmitter with a transistor-based, all-in-one HD Radio unit a few years ago. Surprisingly, they raised slightly over the goal during that fund drive.

The KSBJ move also got a writeup on the McGuff blog: http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2017/...listeners.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    The KSBJ move also got a writeup on the McGuff blog: http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2017/...listeners.html
    Funny how their big update video has a sound clip from the 1960 movie "The Time Machine" at the beginning of their dance party. Given crazy Rocketman Kim over there in NK, I don't think I would want to broadcast a nuclear alert over the air right now.

Funny how their big update video has a sound clip from the 1960 movie "The Time Machine" at the beginning of their dance party. Given crazy Rocketman Kim over there in NK, I don't think I would want to broadcast a nuclear alert over the air right now.
    Why was rbrucecarter5 banned?

Bruce was banned for making religion and ethnic based slurs. I have deleted many of his offensive posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12