• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD stations

vb2285

Inactive
Inactive User
I noticed that HD stations changed.
94.7 no longer has an HD-2 but last week HD-2 was Russian Radio
95.5 HD-2 is now Russian Radio while HD-3 is now WFAS
102.7 HD-4 was Radio Russian now it's nothing
I also noticed that 101.1 has CBS Sports on HD-3 and HD-4 seems to be a waste of space.

94.7 has had an HD1, 2 and 4 for a while but no HD3. 106.7 HD2 plays iHeart 80's. Does anyone know of a station in NYC or Long Island that plays or will play iHeart 70's? It would also be great if Q-104.3 would bring back their Deep Tracks HD station.

Programming on HD stations in NYC has really deteriorated. I don't see the point of duplicating WCBS-880 WINS and WOR on HD 2 stations. I would love to hear a WCBS-FM classic on 101.1 HD2 and a recreation of WNEW-AM on 102.7 HD3. Also the 80s channel on 106.7 HD2 duplicates WCBS-FM HD1.

WCBS WINS and WOR make sense.AM on FM,where the younger listeners are. Agree.CBS Sports onboth HD 3and 4 is dumb.How about a true oldies station? Running religious programming on the HD subchannels is a waste.There are more than enough on the main stations. Smooth Jazz on 102 7should be in stereo.How about ClassicCountry on 947 and standards somewhere? Boston and Philly do a much better job with their HD subchannels

They should have aaa on hd-3 on 95.5 or 103.5. I miss the alt project they need that on 104.3

I like HD radio but it just gets no love, not to mention the signals SEEM to be getting worse. All of my travels are within 30 miles from NYC and I can almost never get K-Rock to stay on without interruption.

HDRadio.com dosen't update and is nearly totally wrong for its NYC listings. 1- It has WFUV still with HD and HD2... it hasent had any HD in a few years now. 2- WEPN no longer has any HD, yet it shows 3 HD signals. 3- It shows WFAN HD - its not HD (yet isnt there a HD version of the station in Florida or DC?).

Lastly - alot the commercials on HD are for HD radios and cant be heard anywhere else. Hey guys - I already have the product - no need to waste lots of time selling it to me more.

Lastly - alot the commercials on HD are for HD radios and cant be heard anywhere else.
Hey guys - I already have the product - no need to waste lots of time selling it to me more.
[That is] a good point, but...
MUCH worse were some commercials I remember hearing back in the very early 1970's.
FM radio was "taking off", but it was still in a battle with legacy AM music stations
and a local FM'er chose to air spots for Panasonic's Toot-a-Loop AM-only radio.
Some famous communist (attributed to many of them throughout the web) once said (approximately):
"The capitalist will sell us the rope that we hang him with"
(because Communists love to end sentences with prepositions)

Last edited:
They should have aaa on hd-3 on 95.5 or 103.5. I miss the alt project they need that on 104.3

They should have
92.3 HD-2: K Rock
92.3 HD-3: Radio Disney
94.7 HD-2: Classic Country
94.7 HD-3: Russia Radio
94.7 HD-4: The Bridge
95.5 HD-2: WFAS
95.5 HD-3: 770 WABC-AM
97.1 HD-2: Radio Desi
97.1 HD-3: Classic Hip Hop
98.7 HD-2: Classic R&B
98.7 HD-3: Variety Hits
100.3 HD-2: Nick Radio
100.3 HD-3: New CHR
101.1 HD-2: WCBS 880 AM
101.1 HD-3: Classic CBS FM
101.1 HD-4: CBS Sports
101.9 HD-2: Smooth Jazz
101.9 HD-3: AAA
102.7 HD-2: Rock as WNEW
102.7 HD-3: 1010 WINS
103.5 HD-2: Pride Radio
103.5 HD-3: WYNY FM Country
104.3 HD-2: Alternative Project
104.3 HD-3: Classic Alternative
105.1 HD-2: Gen X Radio
105.1 HD-3: WOR 710
105.5 (WDHA) HD-2: Classic Rock
106.7 HD-2: iHeart 80s
106.7 HD-3: iHeart 90s
107.5 HD-2: Gospel
107.5 HD-3: Ethnic Programming

WCBS WINS and WOR make sense.AM on FM,where the younger listeners are. Agree.CBS Sports onboth HD 3and 4 is dumb.How about a true oldies station? Running religious programming on the HD subchannels is a waste.There are more than enough on the main stations. Smooth Jazz on 102 7should be in stereo.How about ClassicCountry on 947 and standards somewhere? Boston and Philly do a much better job with their HD subchannels

Religious programming on HD subchannels may seem like a waste, but I bet they pay for that privilege, making HD channels bring in some extra revenue.

Just sayin'.

Good list.Just add Standards. I heart runs a nice Standards channel. Run it on one of Ihearts subchannels. There are five to choose from.Seems a no brained but it probably won't happen

It appears that HD Radio subchannels are increasingly being used to provide signals for translators, or being leased to ethnic programmers. As these uses can bring in revenue to the stations, can they be blamed for doing this, instead of providing niche programming that attracts few listeners or advertisers? When a broadcaster is willing to lease an HD channel, the broadcasters seem to be quite willing to dump their original programming to make room for it. A recent example is WPLJ dropping the WABC simulcast to accommodate a Russian broadcast.

I think FM stations need to sell ads about HD radio a lot of newer cars have them no one uses them. If they market them well and putting useful formats on them much like Sirius XM does they'd gain listeners.

The salespeople do not even know what HD Radio is. I asked my salesperson and he said "High Definition Radio?" 99% of the people out there have no clue of its benefits. It also doesn't help that the A/V Receivers that contain HD Radio are the ones that cost at least $1000. They need to get it in the $250 to $500 models to get people aware of it.

The licensing cannot be too expensive given that you can find HD Portable Radios so why can't Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and Pioneer start putting it out to the masses?

The salespeople do not even know what HD Radio is. I asked my salesperson and he said "High Definition Radio?" 99% of the people out there have no clue of its benefits. It also doesn't help that the A/V Receivers that contain HD Radio are the ones that cost at least $1000. They need to get it in the $250 to $500 models to get people aware of it.

The licensing cannot be too expensive given that you can find HD Portable Radios so why can't Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and Pioneer start putting it out to the masses?

The general answer you will receive here is "nobody buys standalone radios."

Well, some people do buy them. But the younger the demo, the less likely, and we all know what that really means... "no one buys standalone radios."

WBLS now has an HD3. It is broadcasting what seems to be programming in Chinese. Can anyone confirm the language? Is it an existing service that moved off another frequency, a simulcast, or something new?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom