• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KJOZ Will Stay Put in Conroe

I don't see why WWL would file an objection - all they should care about is advertising revenue from New Orleans. Listening outside of New Orleans, particularly in Houston, is unimportant. Or - so I have been told ------

You'd think WWL wouldn't care. I was working for one station where there must have been a skip or incredible skywave near sunset to pull in our daytime station 250 miles away and in the opposite direction of our directional antennas. The 50 kw. 200 miles further away wanted to know why their listener 200 miles from their city was receiving the station I was working for. As one broadcaster put it, (a station) 'taking only one listener is too many', implying that would be the radio version of starting a war. Even so, WWL is protected by FCC Rules on separation and that is the reason for the rejection, it would seem.

Such stations served an important service early in radio's history. With few rural stations, the stations were a way to inform people over a wide area. For example, during World War II, these stations allowed the whole nation to stay informed on the war even if that person was so far in the sticks the sticks were out in the sticks.

I don't see why WWL would file an objection - all they should care about is advertising revenue from New Orleans. Listening outside of New Orleans, particularly in Houston, is unimportant. Or - so I have been told ------

If you read the decision carefully you will note that FCC sidestepped making a decision on another opposition filed against the license. This would have otherwise been an open shut rubberstamp approval. This is the third time the FCC has denied applications on "other" grounds to avoid having to address contentions raised by "some person" in numerous 2013 and 2014 oppositions.

You'd think WWL wouldn't care. I was working for one station where there must have been a skip or incredible skywave near sunset to pull in our daytime station 250 miles away and in the opposite direction of our directional antennas. The 50 kw. 200 miles further away wanted to know why their listener 200 miles from their city was receiving the station I was working for. As one broadcaster put it, (a station) 'taking only one listener is too many', implying that would be the radio version of starting a war. Even so, WWL is protected by FCC Rules on separation and that is the reason for the rejection, it would seem.

Such stations served an important service early in radio's history. With few rural stations, the stations were a way to inform people over a wide area. For example, during World War II, these stations allowed the whole nation to stay informed on the war even if that person was so far in the sticks the sticks were out in the sticks.

If only 10% of our population is not in urban areas, that is still 30 million people - relying on DX / skywave for their radio service. Yeah - try again - internet junkies. You think those people in rural America REALLY have access to broadband internet? Not really. Unless it is expensive satellite. So don't go telling them to stream. That is why the countries abandoning shortwave are foolish. It isn't people in their country losing international service. It is people far afield from home in other countries losing service. If you have travelled at all in the vast reaches of the West, you understand that people in those small little towns hundreds of miles from a major city are about as isolated and in the sticks as you can get. Stop in one of those towns and you will get a real taste of rural America and what they think of radio stations not caring about their DX listeners.

I remember a rest stop on I-20 - Colorado City about 40 years ago. Playing on their AM radio - WBAP. About 250 miles away. That was their "local" station. These days - looks like they got one of their own - finally.

If only 10% of our population is not in urban areas, that is still 30 million people - relying on DX / skywave for their radio service.

Most rural areas today have a radio station or two or are near a larger town that has many.

And the towns that used to have just a Class IV AM or a daytimer now often have full power FMs covering multiple counties.

Since little radio listening occurs at night, skywave is not important.

Stop in one of those towns and you will get a real taste of rural America and what they think of radio stations not caring about their DX listeners.

Stations have not cared about night skywave listeners, for the most part, since TV took over evening entertainment.

And advertisers do not buy the un-quantified listening to stations in distant markets. They buy local markets and they buy mostly 6 AM to 7 PM.

As an example, KFI from LA used to be the NBC station for Palm Springs. Now, there are 55 licensed AM, FM, translator and LPFM signals in the Palm Springs market. And KFI is useless, anyway, due to the man made noise.

It's kind of like that nearly everywhere in the USA.

I remember a rest stop on I-20 - Colorado City about 40 years ago. Playing on their AM radio - WBAP. About 250 miles away. That was their "local" station. These days - looks like they got one of their own - finally.

Mitchell County has both an AM and FM, and there are now quite a few other FMs penetrating the county.

Last edited:

It's kind of like that nearly everywhere in the USA.

Mitchell County has both an AM and FM, and there are now quite a few other FMs penetrating the county.

The high levels of ambient noise, I think, are a defective Chinese wall wart switching supply. One resistor is seriously underrated and burns out. The supply still puts out voltage, but is very noisy. Sometimes up to a block. When every house has half a dozen of these things, there is no hope for AM reception. 95% of all those switching wall warts (switching mandated by the government, by the way) have this design defect regardless of case style. I bought a reel of 1 watt resistors and fixed all that I own, and with a little persuasion convinced the neighbors to let me repair theirs - so I have perfect AM reception again.

Snyder and Big Spring stations came in 40 years ago, too. I think the rest area was a Stuckey's. It was known for its great country music from WBAP, and for a myna bird that greeted guests with "hello stinker"!

and with a little persuasion convinced the neighbors to let me repair theirs - so I have perfect AM reception again.

Maybe you're closer to your neighbors than I am, but if my neighbor tried to do what you did, I would give him a funny look and shut the door in his face.

What you did is almost OCD. But more power to you for doing it, I guess.

Maybe you're closer to your neighbors than I am, but if my neighbor tried to do what you did, I would give him a funny look and shut the door in his face.

What you did is almost OCD. But more power to you for doing it, I guess.

It didn't hurt that I told him the truth - parts had burned out in his power supplies, and they were defective. Which they are. The resistor is in the snubber network - not technically needed for voltage regulation, but it can and will allow high energy spikes out of the supply, eventually they could destroy the unit they are powering. But hey - in the infinite wisdom of our government that mandated the use of switching power supplies instead of linear power supplies - they save electricity. They don't care that it causes radio interference or potentially destroys what it is hooked to over a three year period or so. More sales for our Chinese trading partners that way! And radio stations pay more for power to overcome the interference levels.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom