• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dan Rea Show Question

J

JoePyne

After sampling extensively,.... Burning question,....

Do 99% of callers have "old man voice",...loose dentures and speech impediments?

Just sayin' 😆

I'm not a listener, but to be fair all talk --besides sports-- is in the 75-dead demo.

Dan's promos are enough for me.

After sampling extensively,.... Burning question,....

Do 99% of callers have "old man voice",...loose dentures and speech impediments?

Just sayin' 

How about some callers just have lousy cell phones, lousy service providers, or just praqctice lousy cell phone technique?

Hold the freakin' mouthpiece near your mouth, not under your chin, dammit! And bluetooth (sic, I won't dignify it with an upper-case "b") should be forbidden, unless the sound of someone who sounds as if he's at the bottom of a fish barrel is appealing.

"Other than that, I have no strong feelings on the matter." - Jay Severin

Admittedly, some of Dan's callers are blockheads, but that's not an age thing. Dan treats everyone who calls with respect (more so than I ever would).

All talk minus sports is in the 75 to dead demo? It must still have at least some appeal though as WRKO has yet to dump it. We don't yet have La Mega 680. And a couple former WTKK hosts seem to be doing nice running talk shows on public
radio. WBZ must be doing well at Marian Manor, I guess. Admittedly Howie is now 65, Rush 67 etc.As for their listeners...

All talk minus sports is in the 75 to dead demo? It must still have at least some appeal though as WRKO has yet to dump it. We don't yet have La Mega 680. And a couple former WTKK hosts seem to be doing nice running talk shows on public
radio. WBZ must be doing well at Marian Manor, I guess. Admittedly Howie is now 65, Rush 67 etc.As for their listeners...

WRKO rates top 10 with adults 35-64

BUR & GBH also rate very well adults 25-54.

The original post was about telephone talk. Not the BBC, BZ news, "the Takeaway" et al. I haven't heard RKO in a generation, never mind listened. 'BZ... not since Brudnoy died. I have heard BZ overnights and on a pretty regular basis too. That's it. I don't listen to old people complaining.

G.Williams was hanging up on Seniors 30 years ago because he was paranoid about the perception that his demo was to too high. Some like the frequent Boston caller 'Selma' were banned. Producers will verify this. This is when talk was hot. It isn't hot anymore. I think we know who it attracts.

OK, we all know his P1 is 55 to dead.

AM radio is all but dead after 7 PM, except for Baseball.

So Dan, who is pushing 70 himself, and by all accounts is a patient host, attracts older listeners.

IT WORKS.

WBZ makes money, a local host, producer, etc have jobs, and people don't have to dial to some national show that may have nothing to do with the local issues.

Brudnoy is not coming back anytime soon, this is what is offered in the local market, take it and be thankful.

Or turn it off.

I'd really enjoy some Gerry style hang ups for the unprepared, speaker phones, blue "toofs" and crypt keepers, makes the "show" humorous and interesting!

The original post was about telephone talk. Not the BBC, BZ news, "the Takeaway" et al.

I think we know who it attracts.

Then you are unaware of how well telephone talk does on WGBH FM with Egan and Braude.

...or telephone talk with Tom Ashbrook.

Occupy Radio

Then you are unaware of how well telephone talk does on WGBH FM with Egan and Braude.

...or telephone talk with Tom Ashbrook.

Well those "bow tied board ops probably make "Braude" like wages over there!
"thanks to your donations!😉
As opposed to those "minimum wage, slack jawed, mouth breathing, neckbearded, seat warmers in the "Dreaded Private Sector" Board Ops

Eat The Rich!😎

I am. Never have heard the show. As for Ashbrook you really don't consider that a telephone talk show I hope. The calls Stephen Pinker takes are a bit different than Scott Brown.

WRKO rates top 10 with adults 35-64

Top 10 35 to 64. That doesn't even make them the biggest banana in the strawberry patch. Just listen to the type of advertisers they attract, they are not what I would call bllue chip and I know for a fact those ads are being sold a rock bottom rates.

It wasn't Selma so much as it was " Mary from Chestnut Hill" who called G.W.
Were required to ask and and log in the age of the callers which is pretty meaningless.
Not everyone sounds their age. Had the personal experience of logging in a woman who said as being logged in that she was in her 40's. No loose dentures and a good modulated voice but as soon as she got on the air she said to GW, " You know Gerry I'm 75 years old and......" Seconds later the GM who resembled Trump in all aspect - including being a moral leper - came charging through the door demanding to know why there was a 75 year old woman on the air. Showed him the log but he just sputtered the F - Bomb and any other expletives you would like to include. Scaramucci was right with his phrase " a fish rots from its head...". No way you can tell from someone's voice but old women do tend to use their age as means of declaring their legitimacy. You can control repeaters but next to impossible to control age.

Last edited:
Funny line about Marian Manor but probably more true about Howie and RKO. They are asleep by the time Dan comes on a 8 PM...

Who is G.W. ??? It's Jerry Williams not Gerry Williams. It kind of takes away your credibility doesn't it Omnibus? Back you go on my ignore list.

It's Jerry Williams "
-----------------------
A mistake. Did it say Jerry on his birth certificate? IDTS.

It's Jerry Williams "
-----------------------
A mistake. Did it say Jerry on his birth certificate? IDTS.

Birth name Gerald Jacoby. Maybe he spelled it Gerry before getting into radio. The Jacoby had to go, of course, the way most "Jewish-looking" surnames did in those days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom