Unusual Song Selection for KTWV The Wave - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual Song Selection for KTWV The Wave

What about K-Earth 101? What's the earliest decade of hits that still get played on there?

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cer1992 View Post
    What about K-Earth 101? What's the earliest decade of hits that still get played on there?
    The earliest decade is really the 70's, and the median year is 1983. Looking at an era map, there are 12 70's songs played in the last week, vs. 229 from the 80's (more than half from 1982-1984) and 40 from the 90's. There were about 330 titles played in the most recent week.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by cer1992 View Post
    Yeah, checking KTWV's mediabase page: http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/st...?c_let=KTWV-FM, I notice the wave is apparently beginning to lean Rhythmic. I even saw B.o.B's Nothin On You and Bruno Mars' That's What I Like listed on that list. I mean, since when has the wave played any rap? I know that one particular b.o.b song isn't hardcore but it's still weird. Who agrees that this is a sign that this station will eventually evolve into an upbeat Rhythmic AC station with the soft, jazzy slow jams being slowly woven out?
    It's been a rhythmic AC since just after KKHT flipped to Urban in February of 2015. Obviously, as they built their core and did music tests, they have improved the music mix. It looks like they must have tested somewhere in April or early May, giving rise to the most recent additional growth and improving 25-54 demos.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    I don't know what the big deal is. Winwood's 80's music, particularly the "Back in the High Life" material, has been played before on smooth jazz and classic R&B formats for decades, much as Boz Scaggs' late 70s music has ) been as well. They both fit the format. In fact, I have even heard "Arc of a Diver" on classic R&B radio before and I believe Winwood's music was a staple on KTWV's original New Age format (the format was really only about 50% "new age", the other 50% being comprised of mainstream artists like Winwood and Steely Dan that have a jazz element to their music.)
    Winwood's Valerie (released 1982) was a staple of Classic Hits stations for years. It seems like it would fit fairly well in this format.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The earliest decade is really the 70's, and the median year is 1983. Looking at an era map, there are 12 70's songs played in the last week, vs. 229 from the 80's (more than half from 1982-1984) and 40 from the 90's. There were about 330 titles played in the most recent week.
    Are you saying that the 60s are completely gone now on K-Earth? I ask for comparison purposes in that the Portland station still plays one every two hours or so.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post
    Are you saying that the 60s are completely gone now on K-Earth?
    Yes....the daily influx of "Brown Eyed Girl" and others has finally ended on that station. But you can certainly enjoy hundreds of them on K-SUR 1260, L.A.'s newest oldies station.

http://laoldies.com/
    Last edited by oldies76; 08-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    Celebrating 62 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

I wonder then, what will replace the 60's Brown Eyed Girl and the 70's Hotel California as K-Earth's most over-played song from the 80's? Take On Me?

Quote Originally Posted by AM FM listener View Post
    I wonder then, what will replace the 60's Brown Eyed Girl and the 70's Hotel California as K-Earth's most over-played song from the 80's? Take On Me?
    Out this way, "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" would have to be a contender. It was among the first '80s songs to be added to the playlists of classic hits stations I listen to, and it's still in power rotation on the ones that are still in the format today. Of course, Lauper is a New Yorker, so maybe the song doesn't test as well in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by AM FM listener View Post
    Take your pick from these songs all played the same amount last week:

Take On Me
    Girls Just Wanna...
    If You Leave
    I love Rock and Roll
    Beat It
    Our House
    Don't Stop Believin'
    Sweet Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Take your pick from these songs all played the same amount last week:

Take On Me
    Girls Just Wanna...
    If You Leave
    I love Rock and Roll
    Beat It
    Our House
    Don't Stop Believin'
    Sweet Dreams
    Wow, no Katrina and the Waves' "Walkin' on Sunshine"?

Possibly the most overplayed 80s hit ever. The only thing "Brown Eyed Girl" has on it is 20 more years of over-exposure.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast