• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Australian Senate rejects bringing back Radio Australia on SW

No surprise there. Australia is 99% urban, and from the news releases I read it seemed that the ABC was more concerned with DAB in Hobart than adequately serving the Outback. The cities are where all the votes are, anyway.

They could cover the entire continent and beyond with one L-band satellite.

Or they could jack up the power of a couple of their MW outlets.

They would need a number of 600 kw to 1.2 mw facilities to cover the entire country reliably day and night. That would be far more expensive than maintaining one medium power shortwave transmitters in the 50 kw range and a backup.

My L- band proposal provides 100 high quality stereo channels plus a couple hundred medium and low quality circuits with perfect stability 24/7/365.25 with one or two 3Kw transmitters.
I wonder how many channels a medium wave or shortwave system would provide with perfect reception all the time into couple-inch antennæ feeding less than $100 receivers?
This should probably be moved to the International Radio < Australia forum!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom