• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

San Diego's Social Justice Flamethrower FM 89.1 Signal Off The Air

sdwulfdawg

Star Participant
East County Magazine reports that KNSJ 89.1 is off the air due to lightning damage to their tower site in Descanso:

"KNSJ Radio, 89.1 FM Descanso, has been knocked off the air by lightning hitting the transmitter during last week’s monsoonal storm. Funds are needed to help the station get back on the air.

"The station’s engineer believes the problem is a “worst case scenario” of sound boards to the transmitter, EAS, router and tower computer all destroyed. Repairs are likely to run $2,100 or more for the parts alone. You can help get KNSJ back on the air by donating at www.KNSJ.org. The transmitter atop Monument Peak in the Laguna Mountains is at one of the highest elevations in the county, which means the signal can be heard as far away as El Centro in the East and the beach areas to the west. But the high elevation also leaves the transmitter vulnerable to extreme weather and other disasters. On its launch date in July 2013, the station was knocked off air during the Chariot Fire, when a firefighting plane drenched the tower in fire retardant foam. A couple of years later, a winter storm caused so much ice to form that it broke off part of the transmitter, again knocking the station off the air.

"Despite grounding that protected some equipment at the site, the circuit boards sustained damaged. KNSJ’s station manager said the transmitter company informed them that they are aware of more than 80 similar situations of transmitters damaged by lightning strikes across the U.S.

I mean, how is San Diego going to live without KNSJ? Bring on the Oxycontin!

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/knsj-radio-tower-damaged-lightning-strike

I mean, how is San Diego going to live without KNSJ? Bring on the Oxycontin!

The website musta' been hit by lightning also. The most recent item on the rotating banner took place in June, and they are still promoting a "progressive anti-inauguration party" in January.

The website musta' been hit by lightning also. The most recent item on the rotating banner took place in June, and they are still promoting a "progressive anti-inauguration party" in January.

Must be a Pacifica affiliate operation when I read the article though.

That "flamethrower" description in the headline is hilarious. KNSJ's signal is very spotty. Yes, it does (sort of) reach the beaches, but in many parts of San Diego you can barely hear the station.

Last edited:
That "flamethrower" description in the headline is hilarious. KNSJ's signal is very spotty. Yes, it does (sort of) reach the beaches, but in many parts of San Diego you can barely hear the station.

The interesting thing is that there are just under 13,000 persons in the entire 60 dbu contour of the station. Flame? It's a wet match.

Wow! I was about to start a thread on this station. I just discovered it last month. I live in the City, kind of near downtown. I haven't tried to find it on an actual radio, but it has a pretty good website (though I can't find a playlist).

I am a native San Diegan, but in the early 90's, I lived in the Tampa Bay area, where I listened to WMNF 88.5, which to me is similar to this. I'm enjoying the station. Good mix of freeform music and good political shows. But the current moniker "Justice 89.1" kind of makes me cringe. While some of the political stuff is interesting, it's not why I listen to KNSJ (or for that matter, WMNF, which used to be called "Radio Active"). It's just corny branding.

I do wish them luck, though. They're a good web listen. Hoping their OTA situation improves. I've always wanted something freeform but not college. This is basically it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom