• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

July Ratings

jabba17

Star Participant
Nothing much doing; River gave back 0.7, Kicks picked up 0.6, B98.5 picked up 0.8 but still not enough to get out of last place at Digital White Columns. 92.9 had their worst book in a while but I'm guessing people have given up on the Barves for the year, basketball is over, and football hasn't started yet. Probably the worst seasonality of any radio station in the city this side of The Fish.

What is interesting are entries for a WSB-FM stream and a WSRV stream, each with a 0.1. Are these the main signals, or are these the HD-2 signals (soft AC and TOSOTR respectively)?

106.7 has dropped again. I wonder if it's the Braves afternoon games? On the other side for Cumulus, 101.5 had a tremendous jump 4.1 to 4.8.

Last edited:
Nothing much doing; River gave back 0.7, Kicks picked up 0.6, B98.5 picked up 0.8 but still not enough to get out of last place at Digital White Columns. 92.9 had their worst book in a while but I'm guessing people have given up on the Barves for the year, basketball is over, and football hasn't started yet. Probably the worst seasonality of any radio station in the city this side of The Fish.

What is interesting are entries for a WSB-FM stream and a WSRV stream, each with a 0.1. Are these the main signals, or are these the HD-2 signals (soft AC and TOSOTR respectively)?

92.9 seems to have missed the baseball season. All season long when I punched up 92.9, they were usually talking about the Falcons or the rest of the NFL. Occasionally they talked about the Hawks or the rest of the NBA, and once in a while they discussed college football. Aside from their Sports Flash, I almost never heard them covering the Braves.

I realize the Braves are not contenders this year, but I still wonder whether The Game made the right decisions about how to allocate their time.

92.9 seems to have missed the baseball season. All season long when I punched up 92.9, they were usually talking about the Falcons or the rest of the NFL. Occasionally they talked about the Hawks or the rest of the NBA, and once in a while they discussed college football. Aside from their Sports Flash, I almost never heard them covering the Braves.

I realize the Braves are not contenders this year, but I still wonder whether The Game made the right decisions about how to allocate their time.

Just sitting in front of the computer arm chair programming, why would 92.9 talk a lot about the Braves where they can’t be heard on 92.9? Why spend airtime making the Braves interesting, then have the folks that you made interested, go and listen to the Fan or 106.7 for the play by play.

Could the Games slight drop be related to its soccer coverage? Someone with access to the “real” ratings might tell us.

The Fan has the Braves games and they are still behind around 92.9 about two to one in the ratings. Of course these are 6+ numbers and billing could be different due to demographics. 106.7 has the Braves on a much better signal and they are down a little. No hour by hour breakouts on 106.7 are public so there might be something else going on there.

Just sitting in front of the computer arm chair programming, why would 92.9 talk a lot about the Braves where they can’t be heard on 92.9? Why spend airtime making the Braves interesting, then have the folks that you made interested, go and listen to the Fan or 106.7 for the play by play.

Could the Games slight drop be related to its soccer coverage? Someone with access to the “real” ratings might tell us.

The Fan has the Braves games and they are still behind around 92.9 about two to one in the ratings. Of course these are 6+ numbers and billing could be different due to demographics. 106.7 has the Braves on a much better signal and they are down a little. No hour by hour breakouts on 106.7 are public so there might be something else going on there.

Because Atlanta sports fans are interested in the Braves and expect to hear about them on a sports radio station.

Which sport is more "in touch" with the under 55 folks who listen to sports on the radio: Soccer or Baseball ? The five strips have really done well attendance wise this year.

Rock 100.5 is showing some surprising stamina!

I'd be curious to know if the ratings growth is across the board or confined to one or two dayparts.

100.5's numbers would likely be even better if some recurrents and even a few currents were added to the mix. Sister station KBER in Salt Lake City has done precisely that in recent months and has been rewarded handsomely in the ratings.

I'd be curious to know if the ratings growth is across the board or confined to one or two dayparts.

100.5's numbers would likely be even better if some recurrents and even a few currents were added to the mix. Sister station KBER in Salt Lake City has done precisely that in recent months and has been rewarded handsomely in the ratings.

Whatever Rock100.5 is doing seems to be working. Although, classic rock as a whole is doing great nationwide right now. Not sure as to why...it's not like country which tends to be affected by fads or CHR which tends to be affected by the pipeline of new material.

Here's a thought: Has the current political mess caused a lot of older listeners to switch from talk to music radio? WSB AM's ratings don't show any weakness there, though. And talk has been a minor bright spot for 106.7.

Here's a thought: Has the current political mess caused a lot of older listeners to switch from talk to music radio? WSB AM's ratings don't show any weakness there, though.

Down a full point since April? Hmmm.

Here's the thing: What music will they go to? No obvious choice. WABE has picked up a little bit, because they talk a broader range of subjects beyond national politics.

And that may be why WSB hasn't lost as much as news/talkers in other big cities: They are mainly a local talk station that deals with more than just one subject. Meanwhile, take a look at the same format in some other places.

Down a full point since April? Hmmm.

Here's the thing: What music will they go to? No obvious choice. WABE has picked up a little bit, because they talk a broader range of subjects beyond national politics.

And that may be why WSB hasn't lost as much as news/talkers in other big cities: They are mainly a local talk station that deals with more than just one subject. Meanwhile, take a look at the same format in some other places.

I wouldn't go as far as to call WSB mainly a local talk station. The have a local AM news show, which is like most stations in the News/Talk format. Then they have Herman Cain (out of Atlanta but on other stations and covering national politics), Rush and Hannity. They do have Eric Von Haessler from 11AM-noon, who is local but speaks mostly about national politics. Their other local show is Mark Arum from 7-9PM so they have somewhat more local hours than many stations in the format.

I think its their morning show. It seems Baily and Southside have managed to tap into old “The Regular Guys” audience. IMHO the old TRG got too political and got away from the “bathroom humor” but that is another tread. I have to give someone at Cumulus credit for putting the show together. Rodney Ho (a rival Cox employee) had an article about them.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/201...ley-z-leaves-q100-will-freeman-leaving-cbs46/

IMHO Rodney is fair like a professional local journalist should be. He seems to be very accurate on his radio stuff. I am not making any kind political comment about anybody else.

I think its their morning show. It seems Baily and Southside have managed to tap into old “The Regular Guys” audience. IMHO the old TRG got too political and got away from the “bathroom humor” but that is another tread. I have to give someone at Cumulus credit for putting the show together. Rodney Ho (a rival Cox employee) had an article about them.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/201...ley-z-leaves-q100-will-freeman-leaving-cbs46/

IMHO Rodney is fair like a professional local journalist should be. He seems to be very accurate on his radio stuff. I am not making any kind political comment about anybody else.

Now would be the chance for Power 96.1 to get Ashley Z over there on evenings. She sounds great on air and would be a live/local show at night for them. Thoughts?

Now would be the chance for Power 96.1 to get Ashley Z over there on evenings. She sounds great on air and would be a live/local show at night for them. Thoughts?

I agree that Ashley Z is an excellent jock, and I thought she fit in perfectly for evenings on Q100. I don't know why she left, but I'd bet she has a non-compete in the Atlanta market. Also, I doubt iHeart would pay for live evening programming (although they do it for The Bull). Aren't Mack, Nick & Nina voice-tracked (out of Y100 in Miami)?

Assuming Ashley sticks around Atlanta, it might be worth IHearts time to bring her back. Just depends on the revenue. A point or two in the sub 25 demos could be serious money even during the evenings. IHeart could bring her back on with a 6 or 9 month “out” in the contract. If it doesn’t work they can always go back to VT.

Now if she would sign such a contract is another matter. If I was negotiating for her, I would have a release of all non-compete if CC / IHeart cans her during the first year, or some kind of separating payment like 3 or 4 months’ salary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom