• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe Mathieu Starts Thursday

I'm with you, Norm; I've liked Braude since he was at WTKK. In fact, I enjoyed "Jim and Margery" a lot more than Boston Public Radio, where they're in to authors and other artsy types that play to 'GBH's audience.

But Braude has a wry sense of self-deprecating humor which I enjoy.

Joe may have a great sense of humor, too, but, of course, in his role as news anchor that doesn't quite fly.

WTKKK had Jim and Margery play the inane and rather stupid, formatic, liberal vs. Conservative point counterpointless.

....had Jim and Margery play the inane and rather stupid, formatic, liberal vs. Conservative point counterpointless.

Why is it stupid to expose both sides of an argument?

Also, J&M were still finding their way when they were put together on 96.9FM....they were a new program, and had to work out the kinks, and figure out how to work together.

Childish.

mnw1890 talks about Joe being a better interviewer than Jim Braude. He may be but I think you'll see him doing a lot of interviews in his new role, not just straight news and headlines.

Not in the way right wing talk 96.9 did it. It was phony, it sounded phony, and it hamstrung the immense talent, and intellectual brain trust of Margery and Jim. They both shine brightly on WGBH

Last edited:
Not in the way right wing talk 96.9 did it. It was phony, it sounded phony, and it hamstrung the immense talent, and intellectual brain trust of Margery and Jim. They both shine brightly on WGBH

Oh, I get it...it was wrong when it was on conservative 96.9....but now it's great when it's on Liberal NPR station.

Gotcha!

Oh, I get it...it was wrong when it was on conservative 96.9....but now it's great when it's on Liberal NPR station.

Gotcha!

Right. Kind of stupid to call Jim and Margery liberal. But I've come to expect STUPID from the right

Kind of stupid to call Jim and Margery liberal

Who called them Liberal?

Regardless, what would you call them? Moderates?

"Braude as far back as the 1980s, when he was head of the liberal Tax Equity Alliance for Massachusetts "

"Braude when he was launching a liberal magazine called Otherwise"

"Jim is....a “secular progressive”. Jim Braude is liberal, pro choice, pro gay marriage, is not comfortable with the religious right, etc. etc. etc.

As far as Margery....did you ever read her columns when she wrote for the Herald (I think you can get it in Worcester). ;-)

Me thinks you are in a public radio bubble.

Last edited:
I just listened to GBH a few times (never listened before) to hear Joe. In a half dozen attempts I heard him for about 30 seconds and that was promoting the Egan and Braude show. Strange. I get it - he has a family and I would sacrifice some job satisfaction for money - if that was why he made the switch. Certainly as a media star he was better off. on BZ.

I just listened to GBH a few times (never listened before) to hear Joe. In a half dozen attempts I heard him for about 30 seconds and that was promoting the Egan and Braude show. Strange. I get it - he has a family and I would sacrifice some job satisfaction for money - if that was why he made the switch. Certainly as a media star he was better off. on BZ.

Being on an FM station brings him to a whole new audience who would of never found him at BZ.

Plus...with AM's on the decline...this gives him room to grow.

I think he grow into the role there at GBH...as they do more and more local content on ME.

Started seeing some 'GBH TV promos for Mathieu (during the Vietnam series).

Now if we could get Joe Jen Brien in a "Crazy Gugenhiem" type sidekick role on air!

Now THAT would be "appointment radio"!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom