• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anchors Away at Fox News Radio

In late June, evening anchor Kathleen Maloney, overnight anchor Tom Graham, and weekend/fill-in anchor Joe Chiaro all vanished from Fox News Radio.

Maloney and Graham started about the same time in Fall 2015. I loved Maloney's style, she had a worn, slightly raspy voice, but it was interesting, and made you listen. Tom Graham replaced Bill Vitka on overnight after Vitka's retirement, he had a bit too energetic style for the overnight newscasts.

So far the replacements appear to be Jack Callaghan on evenings (he's great) and Chris Foster as overnight anchor.

With Fox News Radio's growth and the largest radio reporting corps out there (far more reporters these days than ABC, CBS or AP), I was surprised to see a shakeup. But I guess, that's the business.

This is part of the same problem that exists for all top of the hour news. Two things that helped Fox was the association with conservative talk. The other was it's distribution by iHeart. But last year, iHeart added NBC Radio News to their products, so iHeart stations have a choice. That has meant a drop in the Fox affiliate base, and a loss of revenue. It's likely that iHeart has also cut the fee they pay Fox for the brand association, due to revenue losses for AM radio.

This is part of the same problem that exists for all top of the hour news. Two things that helped Fox was the association with conservative talk. The other was it's distribution by iHeart. But last year, iHeart added NBC Radio News to their products, so iHeart stations have a choice. That has meant a drop in the Fox affiliate base, and a loss of revenue. It's likely that iHeart has also cut the fee they pay Fox for the brand association, due to revenue losses for AM radio.

Also the AP has a distribution contract with Iheart. There's even a third choice apparently for Iheart news/talk stations to get national news content though its the AP, NBC News Radio.

https://www.iheart.com/live/associated-press-radio-6986/

Tom Graham is working the Saturday evening anchor slot tonight. First time I've heard him on the air in eight weeks. I wonder what his new role is...

Interesting... Today was the first Sunday in probably close to 2.5 years (since Ron Flatter was forced out) they've used 4 anchors. Typically they run with 3 anchors on 8-hour shifts on Sunday, usually Pam Puso, Lisa Lacerra, and Tom Graham (or lately, Chris Foster) on overnights.

Today was a very different line up... Regular Sunday AM anchor Pam Puso in the morning, DC based national correspondent Jared Halpern (who I've never heard as an anchor) middays, Jane Metzler in the evenings (Lacerra was off last Sunday, too), and Tom Graham is back in his familiar overnight slot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom