• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tom Wopat (Dukes of Hazzard) arrested in Massachusetts

He and John Schneider reunited on an episode of "Smallville". When they got in the car, I was going to be so disappointed if they used the doors. It turned out the doors were broken.

Back in 1999 Wopat teamed up with Bernadette Peters to do a broadway show in New York. I don't remember the title of the show but I do remember those posters,

What's Tom been doing the last 40 years?
He briefly had a country music singing career in the early '90s. I remember playing one or two of his hits back about that time. (I would say, however, that John Schneider probably had the slightly more successful country career out of the two of them, but I don't remember playing any of his tunes back when I was in radio.)

Better question is, whatever happened to the actors who played Coy and Vance Duke? Anyone remember them?

He briefly had a country music singing career in the early '90s. I remember playing one or two of his hits back about that time. (I would say, however, that John Schneider probably had the slightly more successful country career out of the two of them, but I don't remember playing any of his tunes back when I was in radio.)

Better question is, whatever happened to the actors who played Coy and Vance Duke? Anyone remember them?

Schneider had the better voice by far. I thought he should have had a much longer career in country music, but he came along in the mid-'80s, when a deep-voiced crooner could find chart success. The new traditionalist/hat act era was only a few years away, though, and by 1988 his style of country was no longer commercial. Still, he had four Billboard No. 1s from 1984-86. I can't say I've heard any of them on classic country radio, including SiriusXM's channel that specializes in '80s and '90s country. A forgotten talent.

Last edited:
What's Tom been doing the last 40 years?

Last year he appeared at Motor Jam in New London (Waterford), Connecticut. - It's a car show put on by Full Power Radio a small company hat owns around a dozen stations in New London, Hartford, Providence, and Springfield MA. This year the General Lee will be there without him. I think they have had the General Lee there a few times.

As for 'Coy and Vance': Christopher Mayer actually had a somewhat viable acting career later on, appearing on the NBC soap 'Santa Barbara' for a while, and playing a supporting role in the Jim Carrey movie 'Liar, Liar.' Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago.
Byron Cherry was a Warner Brothers 'contract player', who did the usual guest roles for a while, but doesn't appear to have been in anything since the '80s. Like Wopat, he has also done a lot of personal appearances at car and memorabilia shows.

Schneider had the better voice by far. I thought he should have had a much longer career in country music, but he came along in the mid-'80s, when a deep-voiced crooner could find chart success. The new traditionalist/hat act era was only a few years away, though, and by 1988 his style of country was no longer commercial. Still, he had four Billboard No. 1s from 1984-86. I can't say I've heard any of them on classic country radio, including SiriusXM's channel that specializes in '80s and '90s country. A forgotten talent.

I remember John Schneider's musical days. His hit "It's Now or Never" ( yeah the old Elvis tune ) and his appearances of the John Davidson Show and Toni Tenniille's shows. Funny I don't remember any of our country radio stations playing him at all BUT the MOR stations did..a lot !!

A lot of people seem to have an aversion to actors who (also) sing. Maybe it is because of the belief (whether true or not) that the actor in question used name recognition to get a record deal, rather than playing all the bars and clubs trying to get noticed. It might also explain why some of these don't continue to get airplay after their hit-making days are over.

There are plenty of actors who can't sing and that's probably why people think it automatically means anyone mainly known as an actor will be bad. I'm thinking of Bruce Willis, William Shatner and Lorne Greene.

There are plenty of actors who can't sing and that's probably why people think it automatically means anyone mainly known as an actor will be bad. I'm thinking of Bruce Willis, William Shatner and Lorne Greene.

Pretty sure Shatner knew he was no singer and made those recordings as a joke. One actor who could sing was David Soul (Starsky & Hutch), but he proved to be a one-hit soft-rock wonder.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom