• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wpbb 98.7 cp

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/...&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

Just discovered this on Radio Locator two days ago; I had the impression that 98.7 (as well as sister station 92.5) were pretty well locked in to their current tower site; but according to the CP, 98.7 will move to the area just south of Gandy Blvd in Saint Petersburg, on San Marcos Blvd, near Derby Lane and either on the same site or next to the 680 AM tower.

Power would decrease from 50,000 watts to 47,000 watts as well as a very slight decrease in antenna height, but all in all it will help their signal in Tampa and most of Hillsborough county and no significant loss of coverage in Pinellas and moving their tower site west and away from the Gulf of Mexico will certainly should give them more land coverage and less of the signal being wasted on the Gulf of Mexico.

The AM 680 tower has disappeared and I'm guessing they're building a new one back there. The tower wasn't that old as the original one from 1977 was knocked down in the accident involving the Bayflight helicopter in early 2000.

Looking at their proposed contour map,
it is a small but definite improvement.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/...&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

Just discovered this on Radio Locator two days ago; I had the impression that 98.7 (as well as sister station 92.5) were pretty well locked in to their current tower site; but according to the CP, 98.7 will move to the area just south of Gandy Blvd in Saint Petersburg, on San Marcos Blvd, near Derby Lane and either on the same site or next to the 680 AM tower.

Power would decrease from 50,000 watts to 47,000 watts as well as a very slight decrease in antenna height, but all in all it will help their signal in Tampa and most of Hillsborough county and no significant loss of coverage in Pinellas and moving their tower site west and away from the Gulf of Mexico will certainly should give them more land coverage and less of the signal being wasted on the Gulf of Mexico.

I would imagine the HAAT and ERP decrease has to do with avoiding using an expensive directional antenna because I'm sure the new site is shortspaced with someone, most likely WMMO 98.9. Otherwise why reduce power if you are not required to do so.

When Entercom owned WISP 98.7, it downgraded WKTK to move it to its current location. I'm guessing the decrease is to protect its former sister station, though it's pretty close to WMMO, too.

Looks like they plan to move the 106.9 translator from the Gandy Blvd tower back to that new one as well. Also wondering if they'll turn the HD2 back on 98.7 once they get it moved as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom