• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

San Diego airchecks and commercials from the late 70s/early 80s

rassoodock

I recently found an old tape from my early teens with a bunch of songs I had taped off the radio. To my surprise, there was a bit of the hilarious comedy of Ron Jordan and Wendy Ross who were my favorite DJs back in the day along with Crazy Dave.

This sent me down the rabbit hole of nostalgia. I am now seeking any and all recordings from the glory days of San Diego radio (Mighty 690, KS-103, 91X, KGB) in the late 70s/early 80s as well as a few very cherished commercials and national radio programs. Below is the list of what I'm looking for. But before the list, please enjoy the bit of tape that started this whole journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M54i4CEmtHY

RADIO DJ AIRCHECKS
I am looking for any recordings from these DJs during the years given.

Jon Jordan & Wendy Ross - KS-103FM - San Diego (Fall 1983 - 1984)
Crazy Dave Otto - KS-103FM - San Diego (1983 - 1985)
Sally Jesse Raphael - NBC TalkNet (1981 - 1985)
Bruce Williams - NBC TalkNet (1981 - 1985)
Bill Ballance - KFMB FM - San Diego (1980 - 1985)

RADIO COMMERCIALS

Sav-On Drugstore (from late 70's or early 80's)
This radio commercial features one of my favorite jingles. I can't remember all the words, but the melody is very clear to me. The jingle is sung by a military-style male chorus in a style that resembles a marching drill song. The words, as best I can remember goes: Sav-on! Sav-On! We save you money everyday. Sav-On Drugstore, Sav-on Drugstore. SAV-ON!

Big Bear Supermarkets (from late 70's or early 80's)
When I was growing up in San Diego, Big Bear was the supermarket that our family shopped at. The chain is no longer in California, but back in the late 70's/early 80's it had a major presence in San Diego. This commercial holds a special place in the hearts of my sister and I as it reminds us of our mother who would sing it to us. We were very young, but the main part of the jingle had the lines "You'll be surprised by a Big Bear".

Picnic 'N Chicken (from late 70's or early 80's)
This radio commercial features another of my favorite jingles. Once again, I can't remember all the words, but the melody is very clear to me. The words, as best I can remember are: "Picnic 'N Chicken, pick the pick of the chick". My sister and I used to sing that all the time when we were growing up. I'd really love to hear this one again.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated. I will happily share whatever I find if given permission by the person who shared it with me. Thank you!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have found all the television commercials I had been looking for, but there's not too many radio commercials on YouTube. Of course, the radio jingles I'm looking for might have also been used in the television commercials. I will give it a try. Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom