• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

100.3 The Beat is beating a few FMs in the ratings

I've been told over and over that Mobile is a terrible market for translators because of the geography and the ducting and all that, and the consensus seems to be that it's futile to put anything on a low power signal. So imagine my surprise when the 12+ numbers came out recently and this little translator is beating WNSP, WZEW and even WAVH. Not bad to be beating the legendary AAA and the market's primary FM talk outlet.

What spot do you think The Beat would take based on revenue alone?

Isn't it amazing to see, the formerly cursed, 104.1 in the #1 spot?

And do you think TK is really #1 in P'cola or is unlisted Cat Country in that spot?

Where do you think TK falls in Mobile? #4?

BLX and DLT in Pensacola? (I never hear WRRX in Pensacola businesses, they all seem to play WDLT.)

WNSP only has listeners during football season.

I can't imagine The Beat is much of a money maker. Everyone says that the demographics of that format are a pretty difficult sell to business owners. I can never hear it clearly enough to catch a commercial break.

One thing I really miss is seeing the out of market signals in the ratings. I know it was like that at one time because I specifically remember seeing stations like TK 101 and WWL (AM) show up in Mobile. I would think Cat Country would easily trounce TK in Pensacola and that TK would be a reasonable performer in Mobile. It wouldn't surprise me if the "true" ratings had Cat at #1 and BLX at #2. Dunno where it would fall. Mobile to me is not really a "rock" market for some reason. Just a personal feeling.

I've been told over and over that Mobile is a terrible market for translators because of the geography and the ducting and all that, and the consensus seems to be that it's futile to put anything on a low power signal. So imagine my surprise when the 12+ numbers came out recently and this little translator is beating WNSP, WZEW and even WAVH. Not bad to be beating the legendary AAA and the market's primary FM talk outlet.

The 12+ numbers mean nothing. WAVH could be #10 12+ but #3 25-54. A certain station in the market I was involved with back in the 90's would occasionally get at 1.2 share 12+ in the market, but got nothing in other demos. In some cases, the top 5 in 12+ reflect good numbers in other parts of the survey, but not always. Plus, we can't see the stations that didn't subscribe so 100.3 could be further down the list. There have been a few cases that the numbers have been decent on a translator, and the format was moved to a full power (Jacksonville FL for example). I think that station showed up in other books with a 2 share or more.

There is only one station in the group I could see the Beat moving to if the ratings are viable (and they would probably wait to see if any trends continue). I'll let you guess what that station is.... unless after numerous changes, it is finally seeing some results.

Last edited by a moderator:
If iHeart's 104.9 had t moved from Mobile to Biloxi, it would make a great Hip Hop station to go against BLX. ;)

If iHeart's 104.9 had t moved from Mobile to Biloxi, it would make a great Hip Hop station to go against BLX. ;)

CC was over the ownership cap. in order to keep 104.9, They needed to change the COL, or divest it. 104.9 will not go back to Mobile unless the FCC changes the limits.

But all they really had to do was change the COL for The Rocket to a town in the Pensacola market and keep on truckin'.

But all they really had to do was change the COL for The Rocket to a town in the Pensacola market and keep on truckin'.

That would require a main studio move and designate the station out of a top 100 market. Not a smart business move.

Clear Channel was over the ownership cap (in Pensacola?) and to solve that problem they sold Sports WTKE 98.1 Andalusia and swapped Country 104.1 Atmore for Hip Hop K104.9 Moss Point.

5 years later they moved 104.9 from the Mobile market to the Biloxi market without changing the COL.

How did CC wind up over the ownership cap in Mobile 5 years after divesting 104.1? I don't remember them buying anything in Mobile or Pensacola but they did buy a station or two in Biloxi around that time. Did it have something to do with the Mobile-Pensacola-Fort Walton TV stations they owned?

I figure most of us know the 12+ numbers aren't what really helps sell an individual station's audience performance to advertisers. But it's still amazing to see any measurement of people prioritizing certain formats over others, particularly when the more popular format (12+) has such an inferior broadcast footprint vs others.

(Birmingham comes to mind particularly because of how many full power FMs that have been moved in or re-engineered to better cover that market, only to still trail new translators and local AMs in overall listening. Crawford's 101.1, anyone?)

In terms of Mobile, that opportunity for The Beat/iHeart has been there for as long as 93BLX's has gone without direct urban competition.

Last edited:
I figure most of us know the 12+ numbers aren't what really helps sell an individual station's audience performance to advertisers. But it's still amazing to see any measurement of people prioritizing certain formats over others, particularly when the more popular format (12+) has such an inferior broadcast footprint vs others.

(Birmingham comes to mind particularly because of how many full power FMs that have been moved in or re-engineered to better cover that market, only to still trail new translators and local AMs in overall listening. Crawford's 101.1, anyone?)

In terms of Mobile, that opportunity for The Beat/iHeart has been there for as long as 93BLX's has gone without direct urban competition.

The Beat will need to get a few more books under the belt to see if it is actually viable contender. Once again, we can see the numbers that are important to advertisers.

Looks like the migration to the new frequency on air has started, and preparation for a new format is in the works in the future.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom