• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 770

south of the MN river suburbs (Minneapolis, MN)

Daytime-KUOM (RadioK....college station)
Nightime-WABC faint

770 daytime in Charleston, SC is a weak WLWL Rockingham, NC with a cool beach, boogie and blues format. It is a 5kw daytimer. It comes in OK with the loop.

Nighttime is WABC, as what most people get in the eastern part of the country.

Daytime: nothing

Nighttime: WABC. I've always wanted to catch KKOB but have never heard it from home.

Critical hours: sometimes I can pick up WEW from St. Louis (very early mornings).

Retro: WABC was a rarer catch for me years ago in its Top 40 days than it is today. It's still not the strongest of the NYC 50Ks -- that's still WCBS. (However, I am hearing a lot more stuff mixed in with WCBS these days, including KRVN, which never used to be a factor at all. But that's another story.) I can hear WABC more nights than not, although when I was a kid I ALWAYS wanted to pick up WABC. Cool music from the big city! Sorry that those days are over. I have zero interest in any of their programming today.

@ Ai4i :

That station from Senegal formerly had been on 764 kHz. At some point they changed all those frequencies across the Atlantic from us. IIrc, Radio Deustchrundfunk went from 1586 kHz to 1590-something.

In retrospect, I sometimes cease to amaze myself at what we punks in Southeastern Queens could do to null out stations like WABC and hear some other swell stuff. That four-foot National Radio Club loop antenna and that underrated Lafayette HA-600 combined to provide some pretty good DX.

The sonics on those Lafayette HA 600's and 700's were atrocious. But those rigs sure could 'pick it'.
In the logbook, though, I still have a big 'dot' next to 'Senegal' on 764. What a pest they were, hi.

Retro Houston - late 60's or early 70's. My cousins heard about a "new" station at night - WABC. They had to turn their radio to get rid of KOB, and when they did, it came punching right through on rather ordinary radios. Apparently the word was spreading at their high school about it. They were calling me "cousin Brucie" and I had no idea why (my name is Bruce). Then they let me hear WABC and I understood because there was the real cousin Brucie.

@ Ai4i:
That station from Senegal formerly had been on 764 kHz.
At some point they changed all those frequencies across the Atlantic from us.
IIrc, Radio Deustchrundfunk went from 1586 kHz to 1590-something.
I remember when France Inter moved from 164 to 162 (local dusk to French dawn)
and when "208" moved from 1439 to 1440, I heard them on 6090 (49m)
I had an HA-600, but only used longwires to hear my favorite international broadcasters.
OK, no more hijacking the thread...LOL

WABC nights but around sunrise I get WVNN out of Huntsville Alabama.

Daytime::: Nothing

Nights::: KKOB out of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Very strong for the distance and I can easily listen to it all night with minimal fade. Almost as strong as 660 KTNN, Window rock AZ, some nights.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: nothing but WBBM IBOC noise
Nightime: with WBBM IBOC turned on it's pretty much unusable frequency these days.

DX/RETRO: in the past when IBOC was not an issue WABC was the usual station. WEW St. Louis during sunset skip used to make a frequent appearance. Other DX catches on this frequency include KJBC (Lafayete, LA), KATL (Miles City, MT), WJMW (Athens, AL), WJMM (Nicholacville, KY) and the two foreigners YSKL San Salvador and HJKH Bogota

Bump
Was listening to WABC today and the signal went silent . In its place was a 4 Seasons record and then a Stampeders’ record
It was faint and far away but audible . I wonder where that eminated from . .

Bump
Was listening to WABC today and the signal went silent . In its place was a 4 Seasons record and then a Stampeders’ record
It was faint and far away but audible . I wonder where that eminated from . .

If the Stampeders record was anything other than "Sweet City Woman," their only U.S. hit, I'd guess you were hearing a Canadian station fulfilling its CanCon requirements. It might have been Canadian anyway.

A round trip from WABC to a star twenty-four lightyears away would take about forty-eight years to DX.

Last edited:
I would say 750 watt WKFB in PA is the station you heard. If this was pre-sunset, of course.

Thanks . Yes it may have been WKFB. There was a weather report given , very faint but the temperatures given were in the range for this state .
I had investigated all the others mentioned along with their formats and none matched what I heard . And it was about an hour and a half before sunset .
That was quite a skip.

The Stamps’ record was “SC Woman”.

In the near north Chicago suburbs during the day it's all WBBM IBOC splatter. At night I rarely hear WABC anymore due to the WBBM hash.
Retro: Back in the day (60s & 70s) WABC was one of my favorite stations to listen to at night. "The home of The All Americans" was a must listen for me many nights in the 60s.
Other stations I heard on 770 pre sunrise were WEW St Louis, WCAL Northfield, Mn and KUOM Minneapolis. I heard KOB once or twice when WABC was off the air on Monday mornings.

Same results for me. WABC is a nighttime regular. I've been waiting years to hear KOB or the 770 from Calgary. WEW and KUOM show up occasionally early morning.

Thanks . Yes it may have been WKFB. There was a weather report given , very faint but the temperatures given were in the range for this state .
I had investigated all the others mentioned along with their formats and none matched what I heard . And it was about an hour and a half before sunset .
That was quite a skip.

The Stamps’ record was “SC Woman”.

My guess is WKFB. I'm not aware of any Canadian music stations on 770. Oldies or or therwise. As for the Stamps, they had two other significant hits on the Canadian charts. "Monday Morning Choo-choo" and "Devil You". The former was bubblegum, but the latter is a nice littlrocker. Both still get occasional play on Canadian oldies stations, but neither ever got much airplay on this side of the border.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom