• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot 93.3

sox fan matt

Leading Participant
KLIF-FM 1.7 1.5 1.4 1.7 .

I honestly have no idea how they are holding on because we have (if I'm not mistaken) 106.1,102.9,103.7 all broadcasting pretty close to the same CHR format. With that being said, aren't they still at 50,000 watts from west Dallas? So anything they try as we know will have signal issues, I just wouldn't know what to try if I programmed it..thoughts?

KLIF-FM 1.7 1.5 1.4 1.7 .

I honestly have no idea how they are holding on because we have (if I'm not mistaken) 106.1,102.9,103.7 all broadcasting pretty close to the same CHR format. With that being said, aren't they still at 50,000 watts from west Dallas? So anything they try as we know will have signal issues, I just wouldn't know what to try if I programmed it..thoughts?

problem is Hot 93.3 KLIF-FM has always been a rimshot that don't cover all of the DFW listening area like 106.1 Kiss FM, 102.9 Now and 103.7 Amp does. as long as it's treated as a major DFW area station, it will always fail, i think what Cumulus should do is cut their loses with this station and sell it to a local company and let the station be a local station that can focus on the area it covers instead of all of the entire DFW listening area.

i think what Cumulus should do is cut their loses with this station and sell it to a local company and let the station be a local station that can focus on the area it covers instead of all of the entire DFW listening area.

How would a local station be different from what it is? When you talk about companies like Cumulus, look at it the way they do. They own two stations in the Top 5 that are hauling in a lot of money. They have several other stations that are huge money-makers. This station is probably more limited in terms of what it can bring in. It's easier for a company to combine this station with the others, than for a company to use it for ALL of its income.

problem is Hot 93.3 KLIF-FM has always been a rimshot that don't cover all of the DFW listening area like 106.1 Kiss FM, 102.9 Now and 103.7 Amp does. as long as it's treated as a major DFW area station, it will always fail, i think what Cumulus should do is cut their loses with this station and sell it to a local company and let the station be a local station that can focus on the area it covers instead of all of the entire DFW listening area.

It's not really a "rimshot". The signal originates from a fairly central location. The problem is that the DFW market is an enormous 11 county region and KLIF-FM is only a Class C2 (which is limited to 50kW from 150 m of elevation from average terrain). It's pretty good in Dallas County and most of Tarrant County, but not good enough everywhere else. That's just not enough to get it done when it is competing against mostly full Class C stations which are 100kW ERP from more than 500 meters.

I would not be surprised about a flip at some point now that the CHR field is more competitive with KVIL. It has probably been used mostly as a blocker to keep Kiss down a little against The Wolf in the overall numbers. If they had completed their proposed moved to downtown Dallas, it would have been a good complement to 96.7.

I guess I'll be "that guy" and suggest alternative for that frequency. Cumulus is friendly to the format as they recently moved Alt Rock to a much bigger stick in New Orleans... it would almost certainly pull in bigger numbers. The powers at be must feel that they can bill more with CHR or I suspect they probably would have already flipped it.

Last edited:
The thing that would scare me about Alternative would be that the format is changing. It is the same thing that happened to Top 40/CHR in it's life. As music trends change and new artists hit the chart, it becomes difficult to reach the bulk to the Alternative crowd. You wind up either playing few currents and lots of base library tracts or you go almost all currents with a small base library. The lack of consensus in newer music is the issue. In both cases, you attract only a percentage of the Alternative audience the format has. Then, those listeners are skewing older meaning they are not quite as desirable as those formats that skew younger. The risk is attracting less than what the Alternative format once attracted a few years back and being less desirable to advertisers.

I lived through the CHR days when Hip Hop and Rhythmic hits began to dominate. You had to chose to alienate the older listener or skew younger. The problem was to play the biggest hits left you with only a percentage of the overall audience. As a kid I saw the same when rockers began having hits in the late 1960s and early 1970s that alienated the older top 40 listener. In fact, Adult Contemporary came about thanks to that and older skewing "Middle Of The Road" or 'Pop Standards" stations that had problems with an aging audience. AC reached the person that couldn't handle All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix or Strangers In The Night by Frank Sinatra.

With that said, you can bet the low CHR numbers are not doing much for them at all. Almost anything else would likely do better, at least as far as the sales department goes. If anything, the format makes it possible to put their other stations in better position at getting those advertising buys they might lose to Kiss if Kiss got the KLIF listeners under their belt.

It is a real tough choice what to do with a station competing with full market coverage stations. It actually makes sense, if you're looking for each station to pull their weight, to go to the most mass appeal format you can because the number of potential listeners is fewer than your competitors. You simply need a higher percentage of listeners in your coverage to have a shot at numbers similar to the full coverage station. At least that way you have a shot at more impressive numbers that might get more ad dollars coming to them. Even so, it is a tough situation no matter what you choose.

Hasn't 93.3 already tried and failed at nearly every rock format available? (Merge, The Zone, The Bone, Quality Rock) Even with the simulcast on 104.1 they still couldn't make it.

Hasn't 93.3 already tried and failed at nearly every rock format available? (Merge, The Zone, The Bone, Quality Rock) Even with the simulcast on 104.1 they still couldn't make it.

That was because of the "rock wall" that Clear Channel/iHeart had. Back in 2004, when KEGL flipped to soft AC, The Bone began growing but then fell once KEGL went back on air with The Eagle. Merge/Zone failed once The Edge moved to 102.1. And Quality Rock was more of a joke. Glad KXT took their format. It would seem to make more sense if they could try alternative once again after KDGE's flipped to AC to reinstate the format in the market.

Besides, think about how many times CBS tried some sort of pop station to compete against Kiss FM with Hot/Wild 100.3, Movin' 107.5, and now Amp 103.7.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom