• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

USA commecial soccer coverage program formats?

someguyonline

New Participating Member
I have a suspicion I'm going to have to make a clock for a soccer broadcast as a rush job.

The slight problem is that I know exactly nothing about soccer, and less about radio coverage of it. I've run plenty of other sports so I assume you put your breaks when there's a delay in game for penalty or at the end of a period or something like the usual stuff, but if there's anybody out there who knows what's a normal commercial soccer broadcast in the USA it would help lol.

also
>implying there's ads sold during English language radio soccer coverage

Soccer consists of two 45-minute halves with no breaks except for injury. The referee keeps the official time so you will never know the exact amount of time left (which could also change due to added time for injuries). TV could do something like NASCAR does with split screens for commercials but that won't work for radio.

There are no "penalty" time-outs as in American football. If the referee issues a warning (yellow card) or penalty (red card) it takes but an instant and there is no such thing as multiple referees consulting each other or instant replay.

OTOH, adult soccer is mostly a defensive game so by inserting a short commercial almost anywhere you are not risking missing an important play.

Soccer is hard. The national networks that cover soccer (so World Cup games) only take commercial breaks during the half-time, with a large number of live reads by the announce team.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom