List of ABC Affiliates That Preempted NYPD Blue in Its Early Days

Thread: List of ABC Affiliates That Preempted NYPD Blue in Its Early Days

List of ABC Affiliates That Preempted NYPD Blue in Its Early Days

The other day, while watching an episode of CNN's "The Nineties" miniseries about popular TV shows of the '90s, one show that was discussed was NYPD Blue on ABC. After seeing that, I was reminded that there were quite a few ABC affiliates that preempted the show in its first one or two seasons because of the show's content (heavy amounts of profanity and nudity). These are the affiliates that I know preempted the show at least in its first season...

WYTV Channel 33--Youngstown, Ohio
    WNWO Channel 24--Toledo, Ohio (became an NBC affiliate in 1995)
    WSIL Channel 3--Harrisburg, Illinois
    KAMC Channel 28--Lubbock, Texas
    WBKO Channel 13--Bowling Green, Kentucky
    WFAA Channel 8--Dallas, Texas

I'm wondering if anyone happens to have a complete list of ABC affiliates that preempted this show in its early years of life, as I found out at least 50 stations opted not to show it. I also understand several of the ABC stations that chose not to show it had the local Fox stations in those areas pick it up (e.g. KBSI in Cape Girardeau, Missouri and KJTV in Lubbock, Texas).

In my area, WEWS Channel 5 in Cleveland aired the show throughout its entire run, but I'm not so sure about the now-defunct WAKC Channel 23 in Akron (was an ABC affiliate prior to 1996). Anyone happen to know that too?

I think all the ABC affiliates in Virginia preempted NYPD Blue at first. Not really a big deal unless you were in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area since most of the state can pick up WJLA out of DC which carried the show from day one. I wonder if WJZ out of Baltimore carried the show ?? They were one who preempted SOAP at first. If they did like Virginia most of Maryland can pick up WJLA too.

The WSIL-TV preemption in Harrisburg, IL was mentioned by Entertainment Tonight. It's ABC for the Cape Girardeau/Paducah DMA. WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8 of New Haven carried the show for its entire run.

I seem to recall that WBBj-TV of Jackson, TN, did not carry it, at least at first. They also did not carry Soap, if memory serves.

Interesting. I did not know this as I had moved out of the Toledo TV market in 1990, and never could
    get WYTV at any of my homes in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977 View Post
    Interesting. I did not know this as I had moved out of the Toledo TV market in 1990, and never could
    get WYTV at any of my homes in Pittsburgh.
    From what I've been told, during the first season, WYTV aired The Crusaders (syndicated newsmagazine that only lasted two seasons) in its time slot.

I remember wanting to see the first episode but my local affiliate would not air it. That was WJKS 17 Jacksonville, FL.