• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCSN - KSBR partnership about to commence

John, I work at the AT&T offices on Red Hill @ Edinger in Tustin - KSBR comes in quite well

Wow, turns out we're all neighbors! I live in Tustin ;)

Just tuned in driving around my house and it comes in. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Wow, turns out we're all neighbors! I live in Tustin ;)

Just tuned in driving around my house and it comes in. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Getting fired from A T & T was the best thing that ever happened to me. Seems there was this new Radio Network in town, Transtar, and that turned out to be my best job ever!

Listening to the stream on KCSN.org it went off right as Nic began the transition. It appears to be working on iHeart. So, can someone share how the coming together played out on air?

Listening to the stream on KCSN.org it went off right as Nic began the transition. It appears to be working on iHeart. So, can someone share how the coming together played out on air?

Hi David! Well KSBR was playing a live version of "Let's Stay Together" and at the end at approx 10:01 the TOTH ID for KSBR then momentary silence, then cut right to a live feed of the end of a David Bowie track "Hang On To Yourself" (John Peel Session); Nic Harcourt came on introduced himself and the station with the new station "name" "88-5 FM" and then played Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly"; for introductions it was very low key IMO

I was recording on my iPhone 6 from Tune In Radio Pro the audio feed of KCSN and there was no interruption. I was simultaneously recording on my iPad through Tune In the stream from KSBR, so they stayed on like nothing happened. I should state though that during the 9:00 hour KSBR finally let their FM listening audience know about the change coming, then they played some sessions of live recordings from the some of the annual KSBR birthday bashes they have had over the years. Currently on the KSBR stream they are airing their usual smooth jazz format. The difference is that format is now available on the HD2 channel on both signals. Also the Latin alternative format is on HD3

NEW ERA for 88.5 "Learning To Fly"

I was recording on my iPhone 6 from Tune In Radio Pro the audio feed of KCSN and there was no interruption. I was simultaneously recording on my iPad through Tune In the stream from KSBR, so they stayed on like nothing happened. I should state though that during the 9:00 hour KSBR finally let their FM listening audience know about the change coming, then they played some sessions of live recordings from the some of the annual KSBR birthday bashes they have had over the years. Currently on the KSBR stream they are airing their usual smooth jazz format. The difference is that format is now available on the HD2 channel on both signals. Also the Latin alternative format is on HD3
I recorded it and GOT IT OTA from my portable Insignia HD Radio to my Adobe Audition!!! I'm in Lake Forest, recorded the last 45 mins of KSBR with my hero PD/GM Terry Wedel (who gave me the chance to be a DJ on KSBR in the early 90's) and current GM Jim Rondeau - the signal from my Insignia HD Radio to the computer was smooth, and after the TOH the signal cut, then the HD Signal fired up with end of Bowie song and then Nick talking - I'll make a copy for you John and I'm visiting Saddleback this afternoon (hope they don't call the cops, haha) JG 'Bear'

Last edited:

SRF...Are HD2 and HD3 up and running on the KSBR signal? IIRC, 88.5 in Mission Viejo did not have any HD side channels prior to now.

Yes, they are - HD logo fired up at 10. it reads AAA ON TEXT AND 88.5fm on my Insignia for HD1 - it shows the other stations but I'll check after 11 as I'm still recording

Last edited:
KSBR HD2 is calling themselves "Digital 88.5" KSBR

Yes, they are - HD logo fired up at 10. it reads AAA ON TEXT AND 88.5fm on my Insignia for HD1 - it shows the other stations but I'll check after 11 as I'm still recording
I'm now recording KSBR 88.5 HD2 - it is live, I don't have the DJ's name, but as he faded out Joe Sample's 'Monterey', He announced "Digital 88.5, KSBR". very crafty

Haha I guess the four of us (including radiojomo) are the only radio geeks who care about this station or this stuff! Thanks Joe for answering David's question. I do not have HD in my car or at home so I wouldn't have known. I'm going to guess the HD signal while driving might be smoother than the sporadic hash on analog radio when driving from south OC up the 405 to Costa Mesa. Still wonder what the signal might sound like in northern OC (Anaheim, Fullerton)

That is a good point, though I'm glad I can listen to KSBR at home OTA on 88.5 HD2. FYI, I spoke to News Director Dawn Kamber yesterday, she said the station will focus on OC news - so, the commitment is there. For my OC buds, I might help out by giving HD Radios for Christmas!!

Joe I wonder how they are going to promote this station to the Orange County audience.........

That is a good point, though I'm glad I can listen to KSBR at home OTA on 88.5 HD2. FYI, I spoke to News Director Dawn Kamber yesterday, she said the station will focus on OC news - so, the commitment is there. For my OC buds, I might help out by giving HD Radios for Christmas!!

Haha I guess the four of us (including radiojomo) are the only radio geeks who care about this station or this stuff! Thanks Joe for answering David's question. I do not have HD in my car or at home so I wouldn't have known. I'm going to guess the HD signal while driving might be smoother than the sporadic hash on analog radio when driving from south OC up the 405 to Costa Mesa. Still wonder what the signal might sound like in northern OC (Anaheim, Fullerton)

According to their website (885fm.org), the signal does not reach north of the 91 in the Fullerton area, so Cal State Fullerton and points north are outside of their coverage area.
The issue with HD radio is these side channels' power is restricted to 10% of the main signal so unless your are inside the 60db contour the signal will cease and reappear too often making for an unpleasant listening experience for anyone other than a devoted radio geek. And I have also had this happen, albeit less frequently, when within an HD2 / HD3 station's 60db contour. With 88.5's marginal signal strength I suspect that quality listening experiences to their HD2 and HD3 options will be confined to tight radiuses around their broadcast towers.

According to their website (885fm.org), the signal does not reach north of the 91 in the Fullerton area, so Cal State Fullerton and points north are outside of their coverage area.
The issue with HD radio is these side channels' power is restricted to 10% of the main signal so unless your are inside the 60db contour the signal will cease and reappear too often making for an unpleasant listening experience for anyone other than a devoted radio geek. And I have also had this happen, albeit less frequently, when within an HD2 / HD3 station's 60db contour. With 88.5's marginal signal strength I suspect that quality listening experiences to their HD2 and HD3 options will be confined to tight radiuses around their broadcast towers.

The merging of the signals seems to be something that sounded good on paper but doesn't translate well to reality. Seems like it is true in OC as it is in the SFV - if you are not within eyeshot of the tower, you are probably not going to get the signal. It's unfortunate; as I said years ago when (and even before) Sky took over, this station deserves a better frequency than it has. They supposedly improved the signal on 88.5 and I believe even put a repeater somewhere on the westside, but even in the SF valley, unless you are in the middle of it, forget it. I am in Glendale, supposedly within the main contour, and I simply gave up on the station several years ago. Couldn't deal with the inferior signal any more. It is true I could tune in online, which I have done from time to time, but in reality, if you don't have my attention in the car, I am unlikely to remember you in the office. Now if they were only on the HD-2 channel on 100.3, a lot would be different.

the worst part is taking down another great station, KSBR, to make it all happen. Terrestrial radio always seems to drive me to satellite in the end. Very frustrating.

Signal shoots in clear in Tustin/most of Irvine, but is unlistenable in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. It also doesn't pipe in HD, for me at least.

The programming is ok, but I think I prefer KCRW and Eclectic24 better. And I think KCRW's HD2 channel actually shoots in more consistently than 88.5...

Signal shoots in clear in Tustin/most of Irvine, but is unlistenable in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. It also doesn't pipe in HD, for me at least.

The programming is ok, but I think I prefer KCRW and Eclectic24 better. And I think KCRW's HD2 channel actually shoots in more consistently than 88.5...
I prefer 88.5's format to Eclectic24, though I agree to ya regarding the signal - KCRW 89.9 HD2 comes in but a no show for KSBR HD2

I prefer 88.5's format to Eclectic24, though I listen to both. You are definitely 'spot on' regarding the signal - KCRW 89.9 HD2 comes in but a no show for KSBR HD2

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom