• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Idea for 1170 KLOK

HenryOchs

Leading Participant
Here's an idea for 1170 KLOK. Maybe iHeart Media should look into buying the once popular station and then change the station's current format back to the MOR format that it programed in the 1970's.

Any thoughts?

Here's an idea for 1170 KLOK. Maybe iHeart Media should look into buying the once popular station and then change the station's current format back to the MOR format that it programed in the 1970's.

Any thoughts?

Such a format would get listeners in their 60's and older. The market is very agency driven, and agencies don't buy 55+.

Plus: it's an AM.

Plus: it only covers about half the market day and night because it is a San Jose station.

Plus: it reportedly makes very good money as it is.

What if KLOK added an FM frequency?

If it added an FM frequency, it would program an FM music format, not an AM format. Actually, there is a KLOK-FM, 99.5 in the Monterey-Salinas market, carrying Regional Mexican music. But it's not co-owned anymore with 1170 KLOK.

The City of San Jose is the only American city outside Hawaii with a larger Asian population than any other group. It's about 34% Asian, 32% White and the rest is Hispanic and Black. So KLOK's current format makes sense for an AM station in the shadow of Market #4. For a short time, 92.3 in San Jose aired a Chinese format but because the Asian population is spread over several ethnic groups, that format didn't last long on FM. San Jose's Asian population will be served by AM stations, each aimed at the South Asian, Vietnamese, Chinese and other communities.

Last edited:

Such a format would get listeners in their 60's and older. The market is very agency driven, and agencies don't buy 55+.

Plus: it's an AM.

Plus: it only covers about half the market day and night because it is a San Jose station.

Plus: it reportedly makes very good money as it is.

60 and over? Try 75 and over. I'm 65 - MOR was the music my parents listened to from the 50s thru the 70s. I would probably tune in that format from time to time for nostalgia sake...I used to listen to MOR KSFO here and there back in the day (70s), but listen regularly...uh, uh.

The last station to do this, IIRC, was KABL 960 AM in the 90s, and I don't think it made it past '95-'96.

Any thoughts?

No No! why would Iheart want 1170AM? MOR? Isn't MOR dead at this point given how Hot AC and mainstream AC tend to be the big format in the San Francisco/San Jose area

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb215
http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb009

If you look at the San Francisco Ratings and the San Jose Ratings KOIT-FM, KEZR, KISQ are the top music stations and Hot AC and AC are the top Music formats in the Bay Area.

More Specifically I don't think the median audience in San Francisco even cares about 1170 AM especially when the argument that I can get Music on my Cell Phone, FM and Sirius are at play here.

60 and over? Try 75 and over. I'm 65 - MOR was the music my parents listened to from the 50s thru the 70s. I would probably tune in that format from time to time for nostalgia sake...I used to listen to MOR KSFO here and there back in the day (70s), but listen regularly...uh, uh.

The last station to do this, IIRC, was KABL 960 AM in the 90s, and I don't think it made it past '95-'96.

Llew:

You're still shooting low. I programmed AC in the 70s. Steely Dan and the Little River Band. Aiming at and delivering 37-year-olds. They're 77 now.

MOR is people who were 50 then...which makes them 90 now. Minimum. Other than guys like you and me, who'd listen, but not long enough, often enough or in great enough numbers. And we're out of the demo. Time has flown.

Last edited:
Llew:

You're still shooting low. I programmed AC in the 70s. Steely Dan and the Little River Band. Aiming at and delivering 37-year-olds. They're 77 now.

MOR is people who were 50 then...which makes them 90 now. Minimum. Other than guys like you and me, who'd listen, but not long enough, often enough or in great enough numbers. And we're out of the demo. Time has flown.

Michael,

Yes <big sigh>. It sure has. The Bluetooth connectivity in my car died the other day - it does that periodically, and has to be re-paired. So I decided to listen to music radio for a couple of days. I like all genres, so I heard a few songs I liked on the commercial FMs - hip-hop and "neo"-soul" (do they still call it that?) mostly, on Wild 94.9 (iHeart), 99.7 Now (CBS) and KBLX. But I don't get the modern pop and ballad genre - heard here on Star 101.3 (iHeart), [email protected] (CBS) and a couple of others. For the most part, it sounds strange and kind of un-melodic to my aging ears. It also sounds the all the same to me, which is EXACTLY what my parents said about rock music in the 60s. I have become my parents.

60 and over? Try 75 and over. I

True! My point is that any audience over 55 is of no interest to ratings-based ad buys, so whether the listeners are over 60 or over 70 or over 90 as Michael says, there is no revenue model whereby this can work.

All Time, All The Time. You're listening to The Clock.
KLOK 1170, San Jose. With time checks on the 1's, 2's,
3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's 8's and 9's. Make time to tune-in
to The Clock. It is now 12PM, Bulova Watch Time.

All Time, All The Time. You're listening to The Clock.
KLOK 1170, San Jose. With time checks on the 1's, 2's,
3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's 8's and 9's. Make time to tune-in
to The Clock. It is now 12PM, Bulova Watch Time.

From the Timex studios, here's the latest time on KLOK. Remember, when you don't know what time it is, we do. You're always on the KLOK with 11~Seventy. Now let's check in with our east Bay studios for the latest time there.

Isn't KLOK South Asian/Indian music and programming? Some of the South Asian music is pretty cool. I tune into one of the local South Asian stations when I get bored with the other radio monotony. :)

KLOK presents a one hour special on how to change your chronometers to Standard time. While clocks are set back one hour on November 5th, you'll be wanting to listen to 11~Seventy for special safety instructions. KLOK - all time, all the time. (sfx - fade out "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom