Entercom New Digs - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Entercom New Digs

Alot can be learned just going to the Automation website of choice and doing some reading and re search.

I have been busy just mowing and weedeating around transmitter sites this year. The only time I deal with Automation issues is Dead air and that involves calling the studio and having some one kick it on their end. The only station purchase I did research on was what type of ridding mower Bonneville bought. In the end a Husqvarna. And it's all analog except this one has a digital hobs display.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    This is actually an interesting discussion. I always thought that the big companies like Entercom and iHeart had the music in the cloud, loaded into a temporary buffer on the local machine, the same as when you click a link to an audio file on the internet. When it opens, yes you are streaming it, but it loads well ahead of time so if your internet goes down briefly, you don't lose your audio. Since it's specific to the station, I thought the imaging was on the local machine. That's what I thought about spots as well, but now that I think about it more, I would think the spots are on a separate server connected by a lan to the air computer.

That is a very imaginative approach, but not anywhere near how terrestrial signals are streamed.

Quote Originally Posted by xmtrland View Post
    Alot can be learned just going to the Automation website of choice and doing some reading and re search.

I have been busy just mowing and weedeating around transmitter sites this year. The only time I deal with Automation issues is Dead air and that involves calling the studio and having some one kick it on their end. The only station purchase I did research on was what type of ridding mower Bonneville bought. In the end a Husqvarna. And it's all analog except this one has a digital hobs display.
    Maybe you need to plant some virtual grass so you can mow it from the cloud!

Husqvarna makes a Robotic mower that like a Roomba vacuum, it just drives itself around the yard. That would be great if I could make it run on RF and not escape the yard. It comes with an app so it's cloud based, they say you can control it from anywhere in the world. A quote from their website.

"Through the smartphone mobile application, you can receive your AutomowerŪ's current status and send “Start”, “Stop” and “Park” commands to the mower from anywhere in the world. AutomowerŪ Connect brings the mower’s menu system to your smartphone, making it easy to read and change the mower settings remotely*. In case of theft, you will get an alarm and be able to track your mower’s position."

They make a model that cuts up to 1.25 acres which almost work and its got a Li-Ion battery so it could explode at any time. It cost $3500. But I bet I could rig the anti theft notice to slam the gates closed on the ferry docks!

Just found one that does 5 acres
    Last edited by xmtrland; 07-20-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Although I wouldn't be surprised at more audio and other radio programming being 'in the cloud', I also wouldn't be surprised that a lot of stations weren't.

Many were still using tape automation when CD automation was in the process of fading away and MOHD was already taking over. They were hanging on to what worked, to save money....

Some stations -- mainly in smaller markets -- hold to the idea "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And computers can store so much music more cheaply now. Internet connections can break down. It's always good to have a backup.

Entercom Seattle has all new Wheatstone LXE consoles and various other Wheatstone AoIP devices. They are running WideOrbit, as they have been since 2014 or 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    Although I wouldn't be surprised at more audio and other radio programming being 'in the cloud', I also wouldn't be surprised that a lot of stations weren't.

Many were still using tape automation when CD automation was in the process of fading away and MOHD was already taking over. They were hanging on to what worked, to save money....

Some stations -- mainly in smaller markets -- hold to the idea "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And computers can store so much music more cheaply now. Internet connections can break down. It's always good to have a backup.
    I would suspect you're right, especially in cases where an owner doesn't have any other radio properties, such as Synclaire in this market.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234