• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is WFLL 1400 back on? They have test athority

Sorry for the late response but 1400 is a local channel which cannot be directional. I’ve been trying to create interest for a fcc rule change to allow because so many stations on local channels would greatly benefit if they could move and be directional. In early days of AM signals covered very well because there was little interference. This non-directional signals were quick and cheap to get on the air and most had towers close to center of town,just like 1400 here, now the property has more value than the license. It would be easy to design an array using few towers likely easy diplex that would maintain their allowed signal contour and possibly even have gains. This makes sense

Actually if you look at the 1968 Broadcasting Yearbook WFTL 1400 was 1KW directional day 250 watts non directional nights. It was a two tower array at SE 15th Street near the intercoastal waterway. I assume the directional was not for any signal advantage but rather to protect WIRA 1400 in Fort Pierce which I believe is a bit short spaced or maybe WDBF 1410 in Delray Beach.

Prior to going directional WFTL 1400 was a solid 250 watts non directional 24 hours.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom