• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is WFLL 1400 back on? They have test athority

Mike Sheridan

Star Participant
Just wondering if there is anything going on at 1400 on the dial. From the FCC website I see that WFLL has program test authority 1,000 watts day and night.

WFLL is back in the air and is carrying a simulcast of Radio Fiesta WWRF 1380 AM Lake Worth. Don't know if that's permanent or not but 1400 rides again

WFLL is back in the air and...1400 rides again
My question on another thread went unanswered:
They are using half of a directional array that is 3½ miles, or 5½ km from the ocean
and they are signal-challenged from north to west to south.
Could they get approval to use both towers and redirect some signal that is sailing out to sea, inland?
The only reason I ask is that it is on a local class "C" channel,
but exceptions to the normal omni-directional policy include KHCB and KYPA.
There is/are also a small number of directionals in the expanded band including KDIA and WWRU.

My question on another thread went unanswered:
They are using half of a directional array that is 3½ miles, or 5½ km from the ocean
and they are signal-challenged from north to west to south.
Could they get approval to use both towers and redirect some signal that is sailing out to sea, inland?
The only reason I ask is that it is on a local class "C" channel,
but exceptions to the normal omni-directional policy include KHCB and KYPA.
There is/are also a small number of directionals in the expanded band including KDIA and WWRU.

Possible but it would be tricky since the signal can't go too far north because of WIRA 1400 in Fort Pierce. I don't know if it would help that much. A non directional is simple and efficient. I'm no expert but it would probably better to have a larger tower that was tuned for 1400.

I must admit I had to check on the distance you gave but you're right. I used to live near the WEXY site (darn station came on on my phono input) and didn't realize it was that close to the beach. When you're driving it, it seems a lot further!

WFLL is back in the air and is carrying a simulcast of Radio Fiesta WWRF 1380 AM Lake Worth. Don't know if that's permanent or not but 1400 rides again

Funny, the wife used to work for 1380 when it was paid religion WLVS and owned by Sam Phillips owner of Sun Records. I worked for a time at WFTL. Funny to think of these two stations paired up. Thanks for the update!

Funny, the wife used to work for 1380 when it was paid religion WLVS and owned by Sam Phillips owner of Sun Records. I worked for a time at WFTL. Funny to think of these two stations paired up. Thanks for the update!
I guess the next question is where will their main studio be located. Fiesta's studio is in West Palm which I imagine would require a waiver of the Main Studio rule, unless the FCC decides to eliminate that rule as they have proposed. At least one person on this board proposed leasing space from WEXY's studios in Oakland Park. Stay tuned...

I don't know if it would help that much.
A non directional is simple and efficient.
I'm no expert but it would probably better to have a larger tower that was tuned for 1400.
I checked WEXY's tower orientation and it would not help WFLL at all.
Even WEXY only uses one of them in the daytime.
Their night nulls are at 10° and 310° with their major lobe pointing at 160°, right toward Hollywood Beach.
A third stick that would benefit both stations would need to go up.
BTW...both towers are 80°@1400 and 87°@1520.

I guess the next question is where will their main studio be located. Fiesta's studio is in West Palm which I imagine would require a waiver of the Main Studio rule, unless the FCC decides to eliminate that rule as they have proposed. At least one person on this board proposed leasing space from WEXY's studios in Oakland Park. Stay tuned...

They could lease a small studio at WEXY and call it their "main," but just originate all their programming from West Palm. Or even set up a small studio at the transmitter site and call it a "main."

They could lease a small studio at WEXY and call it their "main," but just originate all their programming from West Palm. Or even set up a small studio at the transmitter site and call it a "main."

Leasing studio space from WEXY makes sense although they must still satisfy the staffing requirement which I believe is a minimum of 2 people employed by the Licensee, one of whom must be present during regular business hours. They could just hire a couple of WEXY staffers, I suppose.

This was discussed in threads several months back, regarding Glades Media. The "programming" is just a place holder for testing purposes. And 1400 is off the air, again, as of the past couple days . . . . but that is to be expected with "field testings." Its field testing, not finalized "programming" form what I can see. Previously, when 1400 came back on, it carried WAFZ La Ley 1490 (didn't it, too lazy to look) now its WWRF Radio Fiesta 1380, which are both Glades Media stations anyway. I honestly think is just a case of Glades Media helping out Jorgensen. He needs "something" to modulate that transmitter to test it.

But as some said in a way back thread: Why Glades Media, why not just dupe MRBI's WEXY 1520, since WFLL is on their tower to "test" it. So, well, maybe their is "more" to Glades involvement after all??

I think programming is way on the bottom of Jorgensen's list. Tower and transmitter are number one and two. Automation hardware and software, in house programming or sat programming (maybe pick up the TOC network since it's without a SoFla outlet?) is waayyy down the list. Jorgensen has a working relationship with Alpha Media (who bought WFTL 850 and 640 WMEN from him after an extended LMA deal), but they don't have any programming that can be rebroadcast (like WIRK or Sunny 103.1). Glades Media AM programming fits the bill.

Also (here we go again; I can't find the old Radio and Television Business Report) but in regards to WFLL 1400's tales and the translator issues at 93.5/100.3, Jorgensen clearly stated in an interview that Alpha Media was not involved with WFLL. I did some research and see nothing to indicate that a sale or LMA between Glades and Jorgensen is in play, either. In addition, I see nothing indicating the same, that is, a sale or LMA agreement, between MRBI and Jorgensen.

I can't find any additional info regarding the Boca Raton based 93.5 translator at W228CB. Is Jorgensen going to sell it to Zoo Communications, now that Zoo has two 93.5 translators in Broward and a primary at 93.5 in West Palm Beach? Is Jorgensen going to move this translator to another frequency (it was, if you recall at 100.3 and 92.5; but because of disputes filed, had to move to its current 93.5).

As for the studio situation: I do attend the church of one of WEXY's long time brokers. He told me the new studios (visible from I-95 near the Oakland exit) are "cavernous," with a large, empty, un-decorated and unfurnished lobby; very plain. There are 5 offices. One is for the GM, one is a storage file room. The other two are the air and production studio for WEXY. There is one empty office left over. He said there is no construction going on at WEXY. So while the space is there, it doesn't seem MRBI is involved with WFLL outside of leasing tower space off the rear, taller second tower in the backlot of the tower site (not the one that sits inside the permitter of the dog park).

From what I can see of MRBI, they have been downsizing, not expanding. The sold off many of their stations, including the Orlando cluster (I believe). MRBI shut down their Miami offices off U.S 27 in West Miami. 1700 WJCC and 1210 WMNA were co-located and were brokered spanish political talk. Both formats were dumped. WJCC is programmed 24.7 by a Caribbean Haitian time broker and runs their own studios in North Miami in a strip mall. 1210 WMNA lost their ESPN status to the new 990 AM owned by Actualidad Media Group -- that was once the long dark radio Disney; WNMA runs canned, in house Spanish music programming out of its transmitter site. WEXY was always a standalone, self suffficent station; MRBI owns it, but they really don't "run" it; it's practically a mom-and-pop operation from what I have heard.

Point being: I don't see MRBI "expanding" and an LMA, building a studio inside the WEXY complex makes no sense. If MRBI builds a studio inside, that opens them to buy the station (like Jorgensen did with WFTL and WMEN with Alpha), and I don't see MRBI wanting to buy any stations. Besides, (again, can't find the old article) but MRBI took a pretty big hit with a lawsuit regarding one of their brokered outlets in New Jersey or New York; with the time buyers claiming the station signal was failing, equipment never worked, etc. Infact, they have dealt with a couple lawsuits in recent years is my understanding, so MRBI may be too cash strapped to want to buy another Fort Lauderdale outlet.

I see Jorgensen building an independent studios site on his own, somewhere in that Oakland Park / Wilton Manors area, then selling the whole lot to someone. But who?

Last edited:
I see Jorgensen building an independent studios site on his own, somewhere in that Oakland Park / Wilton Manors area, then selling the whole lot to someone. But who?

He may end up simply selling the license and leaving it up to the new operator to setup shop, or he could LMA it to another outfit and have them operate it like he did for WFTL and WMEN with Palm Beach Broadcasting/Alpha. Seems more economical to do that rather than invest in office/studio space, equipment, furnishings, staff, etc. The ministry that used to LMA WFLL before James Crystal went under maintained a studio at their church and once upon a time the people LMAing the station as Mystik 1400 had their studios in the old WRBD/WCKO building on Rock Island Road in Tamarac.

He may end up simply selling the license and leaving it up to the new operator to setup shop, or he could LMA it to another outfit and have them operate it like he did for WFTL and WMEN with Palm Beach Broadcasting/Alpha. Seems more economical to do that rather than invest in office/studio space, equipment, furnishings, staff, etc. The ministry that used to LMA WFLL before James Crystal went under maintained a studio at their church and once upon a time the people LMAing the station as Mystik 1400 had their studios in the old WRBD/WCKO building on Rock Island Road in Tamarac.

Yeah, you make very good points:

Yeah, it would be more financially prudent for Jorgensen to just get that transmitter up and running consistently out of its "field testing" phase, then unload it to a "new" operator, who will then build their own studios. I guess my mindset was that Jorgensen setting up a fully equipped studio would make it "more attractive" to a buyer, you know, "curb appeal." They buy and move right and start the "show" as it were. No fuss and muss with construction. But your idea is more financially sound.

Yeah, an LMA as well. As the Boards have pondered, yes, a deal similar to Palm Beach Broadcasting/Alpha would be the most ideal situation.

Would WFLL LMA with Glades Media or with MRBI, Inc. (but it seems both of those scenarios seem unlikely IMO; "thoughts" on that, above), but it could happen with say, Beasley's Boca Cluster (?) and they could shove/cram another station in there. I say that, because, from what I have heard, the BBGI Boca studios are pretty cramped and tight with the three stations. In fact, I've heard they have WWNN and WSBR set up in ONE STUDIO, two boards on either side with a board operator in the middle on swivel chair "operating" both stations simultaneously (even during live shows?!). That's how "small" that facility is. And is Beasley even in the market to buy, considering their recent sales and changes with the group?

Yeah, you are talking about Nossa Radio who was LMA'ing 24-7 from JCR. Not only did they have their own studios . . . but they had a transmitter on the site with a long wire stretched across the parking lot, when JCR went tower/x-mitter "homeless." Nossa seems to still be in business, but only with an outlet in Boston (I think); I think they are just a webstream now with no terrestrial outlet.

And yes, there was Mystic. Correct, they were using the old WRBD/WCKO building (I guess the old equipment was still in there and operational) but using WFLL's tower/x-mitter. From what I heard, the Mystic deal soured because they fell behind on their LMA fees and/or got kicked out for rent issues at the "the Rock" facilities.

*** and speaking of "rent" and old JCR properties: a tangent --

You think things are bad with WFLL 1400, another former James Crystal Radio property isn’t doing much better. Remember, it ended up being held by ACM JCE IV B LLC (Jorgenson Broadcasting) after JCR’s bankruptcy.

KBXD 1480 in Dallas was “Radio Salaam Namsate” and running Hindi music for the Dallas Fort Worth South Asian community. Back May 2016 (keep in mind, it has only been slightly over a year-to-date) when Chris Muse bought the station for $1.5 million plus 13 K to clear the tower lease (Salem Radio owned the tower site). That is when the format flipped to the Hindi Asian music.

Well . . . as of April (just one month before it’s one year “anniversary” relaunch), KBXD suspended all programming and starting running a continuous loop advertisement pitching the “renting” the whole of the airtime of the radio station 24-7. And they seemed to be forgetting to transmit a legal ID since the “renting” calls to action, from what I’ve read/researched.

Over on the Dallas boards, they stated, based on market conditions, monthly rent averages about $36,000, but with an FM translator, an AM could rent hirer, but the mean average seems to be about $25,000 to as high as $80,000 a month for a 24-7 “rental” in a major market situation for an AM of KBXDs ilk.

Since June, KBXD stopped the “renting” loop and started spitting out Hispanic Music with Spanish language breaks, but still pitching the “rental” ads . . . . which I am assuming the Hispanic music just a place holder. Sounds like the same “place holder” approach 1210 AM WNMA in Miami is using, since they lost their ESPN status until MRBI comes up with an “idea” for the station. Gotta have something on the air to modulate the white elephant.

You know, Salem Broadcasting has been looking, needing, wanting to get their "Word" format into South Florida (they already have "The Answer" brand down here). Maybe they could use WFLL or WNMA to expand "The Word" into South Florida. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Yeah, you make very good points:

Yeah, it would be more financially prudent for Jorgensen to just get that transmitter up and running consistently out of its "field testing" phase, then unload it to a "new" operator, who will then build their own studios. I guess my mindset was that Jorgensen setting up a fully equipped studio would make it "more attractive" to a buyer, you know, "curb appeal." They buy and move right and start the "show" as it were. No fuss and muss with construction. But your idea is more financially sound.

Yeah, an LMA as well. As the Boards have pondered, yes, a deal similar to Palm Beach Broadcasting/Alpha would be the most ideal situation.

Would WFLL LMA with Glades Media or with MRBI, Inc. (but it seems both of those scenarios seem unlikely IMO; "thoughts" on that, above), but it could happen with say, Beasley's Boca Cluster (?) and they could shove/cram another station in there. I say that, because, from what I have heard, the BBGI Boca studios are pretty cramped and tight with the three stations. In fact, I've heard they have WWNN and WSBR set up in ONE STUDIO, two boards on either side with a board operator in the middle on swivel chair "operating" both stations simultaneously (even during live shows?!). That's how "small" that facility is. And is Beasley even in the market to buy, considering their recent sales and changes with the group?

Yeah, you are talking about Nossa Radio who was LMA'ing 24-7 from JCR. Not only did they have their own studios . . . but they had a transmitter on the site with a long wire stretched across the parking lot, when JCR went tower/x-mitter "homeless." Nossa seems to still be in business, but only with an outlet in Boston (I think); I think they are just a webstream now with no terrestrial outlet.

And yes, there was Mystic. Correct, they were using the old WRBD/WCKO building (I guess the old equipment was still in there and operational) but using WFLL's tower/x-mitter. From what I heard, the Mystic deal soured because they fell behind on their LMA fees and/or got kicked out for rent issues at the "the Rock" facilities.

*** and speaking of "rent" and old JCR properties: a tangent --

You think things are bad with WFLL 1400, another former James Crystal Radio property isn’t doing much better. Remember, it ended up being held by ACM JCE IV B LLC (Jorgenson Broadcasting) after JCR’s bankruptcy.

KBXD 1480 in Dallas was “Radio Salaam Namsate” and running Hindi music for the Dallas Fort Worth South Asian community. Back May 2016 (keep in mind, it has only been slightly over a year-to-date) when Chris Muse bought the station for $1.5 million plus 13 K to clear the tower lease (Salem Radio owned the tower site). That is when the format flipped to the Hindi Asian music.

Well . . . as of April (just one month before it’s one year “anniversary” relaunch), KBXD suspended all programming and starting running a continuous loop advertisement pitching the “renting” the whole of the airtime of the radio station 24-7. And they seemed to be forgetting to transmit a legal ID since the “renting” calls to action, from what I’ve read/researched.

Over on the Dallas boards, they stated, based on market conditions, monthly rent averages about $36,000, but with an FM translator, an AM could rent hirer, but the mean average seems to be about $25,000 to as high as $80,000 a month for a 24-7 “rental” in a major market situation for an AM of KBXDs ilk.

Since June, KBXD stopped the “renting” loop and started spitting out Hispanic Music with Spanish language breaks, but still pitching the “rental” ads . . . . which I am assuming the Hispanic music just a place holder. Sounds like the same “place holder” approach 1210 AM WNMA in Miami is using, since they lost their ESPN status until MRBI comes up with an “idea” for the station. Gotta have something on the air to modulate the white elephant.

You know, Salem Broadcasting has been looking, needing, wanting to get their "Word" format into South Florida (they already have "The Answer" brand down here). Maybe they could use WFLL or WNMA to expand "The Word" into South Florida. Just a thought.

It's too bad about the Dallas station, if Radiolocator is to be believed it looks like a pretty decent signal. I don't know if Beasley would be interested in another Broward signal in WFLL since they already have one with WWNN. As for their studios in Boca I suspect there's not much staff there to begin with and if there's a limited number of live shows then it's probably not much of a challenge to have each station run out of same booth. I believe the people who run WHSR 980 have their own space inside the building, however. According to their website Salem's WHIM 1080 Coral Gables is called 'The Word' so if they're looking for an outlet for 'The Answer' they could put it on 1400, however they tried a similar format on WKAT in 2005 with their typical lineup of Savage/Ingraham/Prager/ et al. and it was dead within a year. What does the future hold for 1400? Couldn't even hazard a guess at this point but I'm interested to find out!

I can't find any additional info regarding the Boca Raton based 93.5 translator at W228CB. Is Jorgensen going to sell it to Zoo Communications, now that Zoo has two 93.5 translators in Broward and a primary at 93.5 in West Palm Beach? Is Jorgensen going to move this translator to another frequency (it was, if you recall at 100.3 and 92.5; but because of disputes filed, had to move to its current 93.5).

I see nothing on line anywhere, including the FCC site, about W228CB being Boca based. It's in Hartsville, TN. I doubt they'd be able to squeeze another 93.5 in anywhere in South Florida

W228DO still seems to be in play for WFLL

I'm not sure how a translator centered in Boca helps a station centered in Fort Lauderdale. I could be missing something here. I'm surprised it doesn't become just a rich man's toy. Rich guys used to buy radio stations just for fun or as an extension of ego but I guess those days are over.

I'm not sure how a translator centered in Boca helps a station centered in Fort Lauderdale. I could be missing something here. I'm surprised it doesn't become just a rich man's toy. Rich guys used to buy radio stations just for fun or as an extension of ego but I guess those days are over.

If Jourgensen in fact decides to keep it for WFLL, he could end up selling it to Zoo at a premium. With the money they've been throwing around for stations on 93.5 in South Florida I know I would!

The original WWOG (99.9) tower seems to be taking on a new life:
W228DO, as well as:
WWNN's W237BD on 95.3
WSBR's W280DU on 103.9
I hope it doesn't rust over,
onto the turnpike!

With the money they've been throwing around for stations on 93.5 in South Florida...
Looking at all the coverage maps,
Zoo could also offer this suggestion:
sell us the translator and we will not claim interference.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom