• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why would rock stations play "More Than Words"?

Tomgsinger

Frequent Participant
Look I get it, Extreme is normally a hard rock band. But this song fits perfectly on ACs, hot ACs, and even triple A IMO, while I would HIGHLY doubted thiswould get airplay on Rock formats. But guess what? This went all the way up to #12 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. 25 years later, I've heard songs like Renegades on Mainstream Rock stations, but unlike More than Words, this didn't just use an acoustic guitar, so I could see it getting airplay (but even then it's a bit of a stretch). But "More than Words"? You have got to be kidding me!

Where do I begin? There are thousands of examples of ballads or AC-sounding songs by rock bands that have been played on rock radio stations, from Time of Your Life by Green Day, Every Rose Has Its Thorns from Poison, Angie by the Rolling Stones, Beth by Kiss, on and on. Why? For the same reason those bands record and play those songs in their shows. The biggest mistake a radio station can make is program non-stop tempo songs. You need to break it up. The rock audience is familiar with these bands, they know there's more to them than blaring guitar solos, and mixing these songs in with everything else makes great radio. Ask your girlfriend or wife which song by Extreme she wants to hear. It's likely this one.

Where do I begin? There are thousands of examples of ballads or AC-sounding songs by rock bands that have been played on rock radio stations, from Time of Your Life by Green Day, Every Rose Has Its Thorns from Poison, Angie by the Rolling Stones, Beth by Kiss, on and on. Why? For the same reason those bands record and play those songs in their shows. The biggest mistake a radio station can make is program non-stop tempo songs. You need to break it up. The rock audience is familiar with these bands, they know there's more to them than blaring guitar solos, and mixing these songs in with everything else makes great radio. Ask your girlfriend or wife which song by Extreme she wants to hear. It's likely this one.
Well of course THIS is the song that females want to hear from them, but my local rock station only plays two of those songs you mentioned: the Poison song and the Green Day song. Even then, I haven't heard them on the station in years with the exception of the Poison song which only gets played occasionally. I have yet to hear "More than Words" on a rock station. It's always any type of AC, or triple A. I have yet to hear it on an alternative station, or any rock station for that matter.

Well of course THIS is the song that females want to hear from them, but my local rock station only plays two of those songs you mentioned:

Yes I know...the other two are too old. But there are tons of them. You can buy entire CDs filled with nothing but Rock Ballads. My point is that rock radio has ALWAYS played mushy ballads by its core artists. They do it because there's more to rock music than head-banging guitar solos. They do it because rock artists want female fans. They do it because rock stations need to appeal to women somehow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom