• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Stations Affected by the 2017 TV Band Repacking Plan

Can you please explain how it will affect the FM band?

If I understand correctly, it will not affect the FM band indefinitely. Instead, it looks like they are mandating changes to KWDK-DT. In order to carry out these changes, FM stations operating near/from the same tower may need to temporarily broadcast from a backup site.

Basically if a TV station has to move RF stations (due to being above 36 or due to shuffling around) the radio stations on the same tower will have to work with the affected station when that station does the changeover.

Looking at the list Minneapolis, MN has 1 and that is KSTC (moving from RF45 to RF30). The 3 radio stations listed are on the same tower as KSTC (and a few other Tv stations too).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telefarm_Towers_Shoreview

(good thing it wasnt the "other" tower there that houses the PBS, FOX & MY stations. There is 10 radio stations on that tower :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMSP_Tower

Any good station taking care of their tower or renting tower space will have it climbed yearly and inspect by the owner of the tower. Usually the antennas and transmissions lines, guy wire attachment points get a check. There are several reasons a station on a shared tower may have to switch to a backup antenna or tower site.

Yes with all the shuffling there is going to be some tower work. Nothing the shared tenants have not had to put up with at least one or two times already. Whats interesting is that this will be the 2nd or 3rd time in ten years that some of these TV stations are changing out antennas.

In Texas the Senior Roads tower powers down for a yearly inspection. How do you think they keep those tall towers standing, Yearly inspections.

Maybe the NAB put this out so operators could coordinate maintenance, new installations, tower inspection work so during the years it's just one power down and not two. If there are two TV antennas on a tower somewhere then it may take longer. I look at this document useful for planning tower work and whats the best time. Some stations may not want to power down during drive times so some towers may require the work done at odd hours or even during a book that counts less.

Does any one in Seattle notice when the West Tiger stations use their Cougar mountain back up? Their might be some loss of HD depending on how redundant the site is but I bet few would notice.

"Does any one in Seattle notice when the West Tiger stations use their Cougar mountain back up? Their might be some loss of HD depending on how redundant the site is but I bet few would notice."
There used to be a decided difference in Centralia. West Tiger stations sounded local but with the new LPFMs, it's hard to say, since I haven't been there in years.

Can you please explain how it will affect the FM band?

It doesn't. For FM stations that share the same tower with a DTV station that has to move channels, there will undoubtedly be periods of time where the cohabiting FM will need to reduce power, or shut down altogether during the work. This is an interesting debate, because the Commission requires (as in, not an option) for any station to reduce power or shut down while workers are on the tower. FM stations are whining that they'll lose revenue, blah blah, but they know this is a long-standing (pardon the pun) requirement. TV stations who will need to replace their antenna through the repack process can just as easily tell other tenants on the tower to pound sand.

That said; most tower companies are prepared to coordinate with other users for Sunday work, for a price anyway.

As far as being able to tell whether stations from Tiger are on Cougar backup, usually no. However, if I happen to need to go up to Everett and listen to a Tiger station while it's on its Cougar backup, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tell, as Cougar stations get really noisy up there.

It doesn't. For FM stations that share the same tower with a DTV station that has to move channels, there will undoubtedly be periods of time where the cohabiting FM will need to reduce power, or shut down altogether during the work. This is an interesting debate, because the Commission requires (as in, not an option) for any station to reduce power or shut down while workers are on the tower. FM stations are whining that they'll lose revenue, blah blah, but they know this is a long-standing (pardon the pun) requirement. TV stations who will need to replace their antenna through the repack process can just as easily tell other tenants on the tower to pound sand.

That said; most tower companies are prepared to coordinate with other users for Sunday work, for a price anyway.

Looks like the only station in the Hartford market affected will be perennial ratings leader (don't know about billing, but it's got to be up there, if not No. 1) adult contemporary WRCH, so significant revenue could be in play here. Does the FM have any say over when the tower work is done?

Even if the signal is a little scratchier in the outlying areas, it doesn't look like this is going to have too much of an impact on the radio stations that share West Tiger II. If you look at that report, however, you will also notice that KISM 92.9 is going to have to do the same to accommodate KVOS. Do they have a decent backup site?

Does the FM have any say over when the tower work is done?

Sure, they can request for work to be done during less-impact periods, but the DTV station technically doesn't need to grant the request. That said; remember that the TV station doesn't want to be off the air for work during prime hours for the same reason, unless they have a separate backup facility (pretty rare). Usually antenna replacement happens at night (which tower crews don't like), or during weekends.

There are other factors too, like is the DTV station also the tower landlord?

I think the DTV station that requires the work should Cater Lunch or Diner, depending when the work is done, and for however many days it takes for the engineers of the stations being affected. Of course this would be at the transmitter site. Hard hats required. They could trade it out!

There is too much to see at the KIRO site to have petty arguments. One of my recent additions is a console GE radio bought in Seattle in 1942 with Push button presets. The second preset is KXA.

When I'm parked in front of the transmitter site with the door open people do stop by. Last week a guy in his early 20's stopped by to see what was inside. There is a 50KW solid state transmitter but the most interesting thing was the collection of old crank phones I had. He had never seen one in person with the ear piece you hold to your ear. Lots of stuff to see.

There is a car show at the old Engles gas station across from the 710 transmitter on Maury Island, I think August 20. I let them use the site for over flow parking so people don't park on the shoulder of the road. Stop by then, I'll be there, take in the car show and I'll show you the site.

Can you blame me! Speaking of Lunch, getting the 710 site ready for a picnic! You should show up!

I would, but still here on the other coast around that time. I'll be back for a few days in September, but pretty full dance card of errands. Please tell everyone hello for me! Looks like it will be nice WX.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom