• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTXV 890 off the air?

newsmark

Leading Participant
Twice in the last week, a bandscan revealed it was off the air.

Last time I heard KTXV, it was still a Chinese format in both Chinese and English. (Sometimes you'd hear people reading stories verbatim from the Wall Street Journal.)

One thing that always stood out to me: they mispronounce their city of license in the station ID. They say "muh-BANK." It's "MAY-bank."

I bet they probably don't have enough money to support it.

If they're running the Chinese/English format, then KTXV has the time leased to the group. Since they originate from the west coast, there could be an issue there getting the signal to the station or the station might have technical problems, maybe a lightning strike...lots of storms up there in the past couple of weeks. At a station I worked we went days with no signal from our programmer and we took a lightning hit that shut us down for about a week. A fix on a direction AM is much tougher than a non-directional...less forgiving and you can't be out of compliance because you already have a tight fit with that directional pattern.

I have checked the station in the past and heard what sounded like a low-bandwidth internet feed. Maybe that's their backup, and even their backup failed.

They likely have no backup. Usually the company leasing has to get the signal to the station at their expense and most companies that lease don't invest in an alternative if the main feed goes out. In fact, one company that leased at a station where I worked, we begged for some fill programming or anything to keep the signal up if something happened. They never did get us anything, so when they went down they were off until repairs were made.

I heard China Radio International shut down their US operations.
Maybe, KTXV isn't communist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom