• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A top format still not represented locally

KKHH wasn't bad the little bit I got to listen to them while I was there (didn't quite make the Lake Livingston area where we mostly were. I'll have to check it out online a little more.

What do you think KKHH is?

Without the 60's and most 70's baggage, it is what today's Classic Hits station should be. The list is really nice and I find myself listening online quite often. No excessive rotations (once per every 24 hours is pretty much the max).

You are looking for an oldies station, which 1) is not the same as Classic Hits and 2) ain't happenin'.

Personal preference - there are a lot of good 80's songs. There are also a lot of bad 80's songs. They play too many of the bad 80's songs for my taste. The lack
of "baggage" as you call it created a vacuum as music radio tried to transition to the music video age. Some good videos were accompanied by abominably bad music. The key to it is knowing the good music from the garbage. I don't think KKHH has it dialed in yet. Its on my presets, but I visit "The Point" HD-2 more often. They have the 80s dialed in very well.

Music has just gotten worse. In an era when anybody can create a youtube video, a 13 year old girl can get 200 million hits by singing obvious facts about Friday. Nobody would have given a darn about the song musically - but she was smokin' hot to look at so people looked at the video - and nobody even cared about the song. Multiply that by hundreds of talentless clowns and you have the reason why I love oldies. Somebody produces a really good song musically - like Pumped Up Kicks - Sandy Hook happens, the snowflakes start complaining - and stations ban it. How different from the underground FM rock stations of the late 60's and early 70's, that thrived on controversial music too hot for AM top-40. Some of us still prefer our radio un-censored!

Looked up your "Selena" - eh - too much soft rock for me. A couple of catchy tunes in English - nothing compelling enough to put on my playlist, though. May the sweet lady rest in peace.

How different from the underground FM rock stations of the late 60's and early 70's, that thrived on controversial music too hot for AM top-40. Some of us still prefer our radio un-censored!

When no one's listening, you can play anything you want. When it's one of the top rated formats in town, you have to play it down the middle. That's just how it is when something gets popular. Underground radio was underground. It was the pirate radio of its time. It wasn't meant to appeal to everyone. That's why it was called "underground." If you want that kind of radio now, listen to college radio. But they won't be playing 50 year old music.

How did 106-9 The Zone do ratings-wise? Really loved that station. It complimented KTBZ well. I believe The Zone flipped in 2011.

Music has just gotten worse. In an era when anybody can create a youtube video, a 13 year old girl can get 200 million hits by singing obvious facts about Friday. Nobody would have given a darn about the song musically - but she was smokin' hot to look at so people looked at the video - and nobody even cared about the song. Multiply that by hundreds of talentless clowns and you have the reason why I love oldies.

Substitute "MTV" for YouTube, and you have exactly what my grandparents said in the early 80's. By the end of the decade, my parents were saying it, too.

For what it's worth, I mostly agree with you. My music tastes haven't stopped growing, but it's definitely not the pop or country sound anymore. The problem is I'm 42 and male. Pop stations don't care what I want. They don't target me. You're older than I am and male. They're not going after you either.

This happens to every generation of listeners. My mother lamented the loss of radio that played music of her generation (big band, Sinatra, etc) but the paradigm has shifted since the 1980s. Just like Amazon is killing brick and mortar retail, radio (and TV as well) are competing with other forms of media for the listening or viewing time of the population. The irony here is that the very generation that radio attempts to target listens to them less and less, preferring other forms of entertainment usually on their smartphones or tablets.

If there is a formant your looking for that is not on a Houston radio station check out XM or internet radio like Shoutcast.com

If there is a formant your looking for that is not on a Houston radio station check out XM or internet radio like Shoutcast.com

That's what I do. Unfortunately there is almost no stereo separation on Sirius XM. And the streaming services go down the moment you get a call,\ or text, and you have to pull over and fiddle with the phone to get them back.

As for each generation lamenting the quality of current music - there is such a thing as good taste and talent. I doubt anybody will be lamenting for "I like big butts" in 50 years. Let the worst of the past be forgotten, and the best celebrated.

I doubt anybody will be lamenting for "I like big butts" in 50 years.

I hate to break it to you, but Baby Got Back is already 25 years old, and it's still well loved...

Newsflash: people younger than you have different tastes from you and like things that you find abhorrent. You'll live. So will everyone else.

I hate to break it to you, but Baby Got Back is already 25 years old, and it's still well loved...

Newsflash: people younger than you have different tastes from you and like things that you find abhorrent. You'll live. So will everyone else.

That's funny! Baby got back almost to that 28 year old "oldies" threshold. I've got to ask the folks I know at KLUV if they plan on playing it in 3 years!

Young people may have different tastes and that is to be expected, I certainly did. But certain things are universally disgusting. Like imagery involving buttocks. It may appeal to some cultures, and we are supposed to be diverse, but to the vast majority of normal people, buttocks are just plain gross. Something dogs sniff. We depend on them for a soft platform on which to sit, and for eliminating waste. Anything else is freakin' disgusting, and that opinion of the vast majority of people won't change in another 25 years, 250 years, or 2500. Perversions and fetishes exist, most people don't want to engage in them or hear about them.

My theory on Baby Got Back is that he wanted to do a satire - see just how disgusting he could make a song and still have it sell. He succeeded admirably.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom