• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at CBS Radio-Entercom San Diego

miketheradioguy

Leading Participant
CBS Radio has laid off Jeff and The Showgram after six years at KYXY and is currently running jockless in the morning. I've been hearing rumors that A. J. Machado from Energy 103.7 may move over to KYXY as their new morning host. If that's the case, Entercom will likely flip Energy 103.7 to a new format due to its lackluster ratings once they close their merger with CBS Radio. In the May ratings book, Energy 103.7 had a 2.4 share, while Z90.3 and Channel 93.3 had a 4.2 and 4.8 share, respectively. Therefore, Energy 103.7 would be one the first CBS Radio stations to be blown up under the Entercom ownership.

Entercom will also move their studios from their current Mission Valley location to Kearny Mesa, and sell the CBS Radio building on Linda Vista Road. Interestingly, Entercom's new studios location happens to be right across the street from iHeartMedia's San Diego studios.

The 92.1 signal that simulcasts 97.3 KSON will still be divested as planned, although it's unsure on who will acquire 92.1.

Last edited:
What a coincidence!

CBS Radio has laid off Jeff and The Showgram after six years at KYXY and is currently running jockless in the morning. I've been hearing rumors that A. J. Machado from Energy 103.7 may move over to KYXY as their new morning host. If that's the case, Entercom will likely flip Energy 103.7 to a new format due to its lackluster ratings once they close their merger with CBS Radio. In the May ratings book, Energy 103.7 had a 2.4 share, while Z90.3 and Channel 93.3 had a 4.2 and 4.8 share, respectively. Therefore, Energy 103.7 would be one the first CBS Radio stations to be blown up under the Entercom ownership.

Entercom will also move their studios from their current Mission Valley location to Kearny Mesa, and sell the CBS Radio building on Linda Vista Road. Interestingly, Entercom's new studios location happens to be right across the street from iHeartMedia's San Diego studios.

The 92.1 signal that simulcasts 97.3 KSON will still be divested as planned, although it's unsure on who will acquire 92.1.

Gee! This sounds an awful lot like one of the articles I read about this on Sunday. It has amazing similarities! See for your self. https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/jul/03/stringers-jeff-and-showgram-gone-kyxy/

As of July 31, 2017, KXSN has dropped AC for Classic Hits from the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

This sounds like excellent pre-merger strategy so that they don't end up with two very similar players with lots of shared cume.

I'll admit this one surprised me. However, when I listened via TuneIn on the way home from work (about 10 mins), I couldn't tell there had been much of a format change. I don't think I heard a single song the original Sunny didn't play.

As for KEGY, I suspect this change probably makes a format change there less likely. If anything, I suspect it will be a minor tweak.

I'll admit this one surprised me. However, when I listened via TuneIn on the way home from work (about 10 mins), I couldn't tell there had been much of a format change. I don't think I heard a single song the original Sunny didn't play.

As for KEGY, I suspect this change probably makes a format change there less likely. If anything, I suspect it will be a minor tweak.

Shifting Sunny 98.1 from AC to Classic Hits was a smart move Entercom has done, because it allowed them to provide a Classic Hits station on the American side of the San Diego market as well as eliminating the musical overlap of soon-to-be-sister station KYXY. My biggest concern is who will buy KSOQ 92.1 and how its coverage will be augmented under the new owners.

Shifting Sunny 98.1 from AC to Classic Hits was a smart move Entercom has done, because it allowed them to provide a Classic Hits station on the American side of the San Diego market as well as eliminating the musical overlap of soon-to-be-sister station KYXY.

While I don't know the demo-specific numbers, Sunny was the top station in the market. That marks twice that Entercom has flipped 98.1 when it was at the top of the ratings. Whether or not it's a smart move is something we'll learn with time. Certainly, Entercom does nothing haphazardly, but there are far more stories of top rated stations changing formats and ending in disaster than there are of them ending in success. That's probably why it sounds a lot like it did as the market's leading AC. It may have dropped the currents, but Sunny didn't seem to play a lot them in the first place.

My biggest concern is who will buy KSOQ 92.1 and how its coverage will be augmented under the new owners.

I wouldn't be concerned with that much at all. I doubt 92.1 will be much of player in the market, and, short of getting a translator or simulcasting another station in the market, its coverage won't likely be augmented. It would need Mexican concurrence to do that, and I don't see that happening with a 91.7 and a 92.5 on the other side of the border. There's no real way that signal can ever be more than a bit player in San Diego.

Shifting Sunny 98.1 from AC to Classic Hits was a smart move Entercom has done, because it allowed them to provide a Classic Hits station on the American side of the San Diego market as well as eliminating the musical overlap of soon-to-be-sister station KYXY. My biggest concern is who will buy KSOQ 92.1 and how its coverage will be augmented under the new owners.

The listener does not really care where the transmitter is, and Mexico allows full Class C facilities. However, the current ownership has not maximised the format, so there is likely potential that Entercom sees.

As was posted by Kent, if 92.1 could have been upgraded, it would have been improved long ago.

While I don't know the demo-specific numbers, Sunny was the top station in the market. That marks twice that Entercom has flipped 98.1 when it was at the top of the ratings. Whether or not it's a smart move is something we'll learn with time. Certainly, Entercom does nothing haphazardly, but there are far more stories of top rated stations changing formats and ending in disaster than there are of them ending in success. That's probably why it sounds a lot like it did as the market's leading AC. It may have dropped the currents, but Sunny didn't seem to play a lot them in the first place.

KYXY was outbilling Sunny by nearly two to one, so the revenue protection needed to go to the bigger biller.

Sunny was around 5th or 6th in 25-54 and a little lower in 18-49. The change will benefit KYXY more than anyone else; the billing leader is KMYI so it was likely considered that two more conventional AC stations was one too many.

I wouldn't be concerned with that much at all. I doubt 92.1 will be much of player in the market, and, short of getting a translator or simulcasting another station in the market, its coverage won't likely be augmented. It would need Mexican concurrence to do that, and I don't see that happening with a 91.7 and a 92.5 on the other side of the border. There's no real way that signal can ever be more than a bit player in San Diego.

How about 97.3? How will Entercom resolve the coverage issues in the northern portions of the San Diego market with the sale of 92.1?

How about 97.3? How will Entercom resolve the coverage issues in the northern portions of the San Diego market with the sale of 92.1?

They may not think that it is necessary to replace the repeater or they may swap the country format on KEGY, which has a better North County coverage.

They may not think that it is necessary to replace the repeater or they may swap the country format on KEGY, which has a better North County coverage.

Moving KSON to 103.7 and Energy to 97.3 would work. The biggest question is who's going to acquire 92.1 from Entercom, since it's the only station being spun in San Diego and that there are are not much buyers I can think of who'd be interested in acquiring 92.1.

I still hope Entercom will resolve the coverage issues with KSON by moving it to 103.7 and move Energy to 97.3.
Sure, moving KSON to 103.7 will help North County coverage a bit, but it also carries big risks. KSON has long had strong ratings, its carried the same format for 50+ years, and even hit #1 in the 12+ a few years ago. Not smart to mess with the dial position. As for the signal issue, 101.5 KGB's tower is near KSON's, and they're both 50kw, but KGB has never had a North County repeater. They still get solid ratings.

I was once in TV management, and worked at several stations that changed networks. Even after massive ad campaigns (Fox is now on Ch. 13!! ABC is now on 11!!), inevitably the stations that kept the same channel position gained share from the stations that changed.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom