• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Sputnic

PHIL Z

Leading Participant
105.5 Owned by an FCC Lawyer is now radio Sputnik, Broadcasting news from Russia.Does the United States have a news channel in Russia?

The VOA has been broadcasting in Russian to Russia since 1947.

And US funded Radio Free Europe started doing the same in 1949, although serious Russian broadcasts gad to wait for the 1951 formation of Radio Liberty, a parallel and equally "deep funded" entity.

...a parallel and equally "deep-funded" entity.
It was eventually learned through the FOIA, that
although RFE/RL were originally promoted as being privately supported,
they were really a CIA project from the get-go.
Many of their transmitters were located near Sines, Portugal,
because for technical reasons, especially on the higher day bands,
it helped to be as far from the Warsaw Pact target nations as possible.

WAMU-HD2 will end a long tradition of airing bluegrass music.
WKYS-HD3 has purchased the translator.
The Voice of Russia used to air on 1390 in Washington, DC, and 1430 in NYC,
as well as HD sub-channels in NYC and Miami, FL.
Of course, those who are not fans of the new service might refer to it as
BS of the W288 variety!

And US funded Radio Free Europe started doing the same in 1949, although serious Russian broadcasts gad to wait for the 1951 formation of Radio Liberty, a parallel and equally "deep funded" entity.

I remember the long-running television PSA for RFE, with an RFE DJ shown doing an intro to "On Broadway" in some Central/Eastern European language -- On Broadvay! -- and then images of bleak Eastern Bloc city streets were shown while the song played. Very effective,

WAMU-HD2 will end a long tradition of airing bluegrass music.
WKYS-HD3 has purchased the translator.

Actually according to your links, WAMU HD-2 will continue to air bluegrass. But the attached translator at 105.5 was sold to WKYS. They're the ones providing the signal for Radio Sputnik.

It was eventually learned through the FOIA, that
although RFE/RL were originally promoted as being privately supported,
they were really a CIA project from the get-go.!

And does anyone think that Radio Martí was not a creation of The Company?

The previously linked Media Confidential story quotes Sputnik as saying:

"During the last few months Sputnik Radio has become the target of constant attacks in the US corporate media."

I wasn't aware of any such reports, but it's interesting that both the Russians and the US government feel the same way about US media.

I remember the long-running television PSA for RFE,
with an RFE DJ shown doing an intro to "On Broadway" in some Central/Eastern European language -- On Broadvay! --
and then images of bleak Eastern Bloc city streets were shown while the song played. Very effective,
The 45 RPM record was a popular English language version, but I do not remember if they were the Drifters.

Actually according to your links, WAMU HD-2 will continue to air bluegrass.
But the attached translator at 105.5 was sold to WKYS.
They're the ones providing the signal for Radio Sputnik.
My bad, you are correct, the article reads:
"DC radio’s 50-year bluegrass tradition has lost its 'analog' FM home."

And does anyone think that Radio Martí was not a creation of The Company?
When I went to Cuba, they warned me not to say that I worked for a Compania!

...both the Russians and the US government feel the same way about US media.
They might both be right!

Last edited:
The 45 RPM record was a popular English language version, but I do not remember if they were the Drifters.

Yes, the DJ was speaking the European language and the recording was in English. "On Broadvay" was the way the DJ pronounced the title. I don't remember if it was the Drifters' version or not. I think the PSA is too old for it to have been George Benson's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom