• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCKY AM Coolidge License Cancelled

Will this affect KASA 1540 as well, in the future if not now? Same owner, right?

Will this affect KASA 1540 as well, in the future if not now? Same owner, right?

Radio Hogar, licensee of KASA, had an LMA with Cortaro Broadcasting (KCKY). Cortaro was fined $4k for not maintaining a satisfactory public file in 2006; earlier this year they were cited for failing to illuminate their two sticks at night. Makes you wonder what happened to the LMA rent they collected from Radio Hogar?

KCKY was a stopping off point for Waylon Jennings and Lee Hazelwood.

Radio Hogar, licensee of KASA, had an LMA with Cortaro Broadcasting (KCKY). Cortaro was fined $4k for not maintaining a satisfactory public file in 2006; earlier this year they were cited for failing to illuminate their two sticks at night. Makes you wonder what happened to the LMA rent they collected from Radio Hogar?

It's (I think) the first station to go flat-out defunct in Pinal County in about 20 years. The other is KFAS in Casa Grande (I just wrote the Wikipedia article). For a few years in the late 80s/early 90s, it was owned by none other than Frank Sinatra, who lent his initials to the station!

There was also KFAS-FM at 105.5 which became K-Love KLVA. Their near-simultaneous demise and move basically left CG without a radio station. Phoenix rimshotting was just too lucrative in the 90s, huh...

KASA is headed by Moises Herrera Sr., while Cortaro had Moises Herrera Jr. listed as president. Common ownership, just that the son didn't keep up his due diligence with KCKY. Now that KASA owns KSAZ 580 in Tucson (but also covers Pinal County by day), maybe they started to ignore the operations of KCKY on purpose.

KASA is headed by Moises Herrera Sr., while Cortaro had Moises Herrera Jr. listed as president. Common ownership, just that the son didn't keep up his due diligence with KCKY. Now that KASA owns KSAZ 580 in Tucson (but also covers Pinal County by day), maybe they started to ignore the operations of KCKY on purpose.

With 15~Forty & 5~Eighty, Radio Hogar maintains daytime coverage from Phoenix to Tucson. But 11~Fifty has a nice day pattern which fit in the middle quite well. Expendable, yes. But not worth forfeiting because you're too stupid to follow FCC rules and pay your fines.

Well, this is one way to clean up the AM band... turn 'em off!

One of the violations at KCKY was failure to light their sticks at night and keep a log to verify they were being checked on a regular basis. Now the FCC shuts them down, but the licensee still has to maintain the tower lights...which they weren't doing in the first place! All of this has prompted Nurse Jeff and me to offer a new course this fall at the Buckeye Media Hut: Tower Lights - Are They On? 3 credit hours for just $300.

All of this has prompted Nurse Jeff and me to offer a new course this fall at the Buckeye Media Hut: Tower Lights - Are They On? 3 credit hours for just $300.

If you have to ask, the answer is probably not.

Does that include a lamptimer?

Yes indeedy! However, knowing how those things can drift and not keep accurate time, students will have to take the companion course: "Lamptimers - The Do's and Dont's of Drifting". Then at the graduate level comes "Keeping a Journal", but that requires successful completion of the two lower level courses.

Yes indeedy! However, knowing how those things can drift and not keep accurate time, students will have to take the companion course: "Lamptimers - The Do's and Dont's of Drifting". Then at the graduate level comes "Keeping a Journal", but that requires successful completion of the two lower level courses.

That's intense. I would imagine taking all those classes results in the granting of a B.S. degree, something most of us in radio already have earned.

Drifting Lamptimers sounds like a new Fast and Furious franchise. Could a screen play be in the works at the Media Hut? If you combined the Gremlin with a lamptimer imagine the the drifting posabilities!

Hold the antenna...apparently the Audio Division and Enforcement Division at the FCC aren't coordinated. An engineer buddy of mine is headed over to make repairs to their transmitter, and says that the station will return to the air when it all gets sorted out. Stay tuned!

Long ago and far away I remember passing KCKY's little radio shack on the old highway. It always looked so lonely way out there.

Hold the antenna...apparently the Audio Division and Enforcement Division at the FCC aren't coordinated. An engineer buddy of mine is headed over to make repairs to their transmitter, and says that the station will return to the air when it all gets sorted out. Stay tuned!

Shhhhh...that's bad for enrollment at the Media Hut!

Drifting Lamptimers sounds like a new Fast and Furious franchise. Could a screen play be in the works at the Media Hut? If you combined the Gremlin with a lamptimer imagine the the drifting posabilities!

Drifting with a short wheelbase car that has 80% of its weight up front makes for interesting footage. Who could we get to play the main characters in the movie?

KCKY had an interesting history. For many years, especially during the 1960s the station had a country music format. Their personalities were known as the "kilocycle cowboys" and they even had a jingle that sang, "the home of the kilocycle cowboys". At that time the station was owned by Craig E. Davids who was an attorney and also a member of the Arizona Legislature. Davids was also blind. One day I had an interesting conversation with the station manager who told me that KCKY played only music licensed by BMI. His opinion was that because nearly all country music was licensed by BMI he could save some money by not having an ASCAP license. Today a station that shunned ASCAP would have hardly any playlist at all. You can get away with not playing music licensed by SESAC and GMR. I don't know why KCKY switched from country to Spanish but that was common for AM stations in the 1970s.

KCKY had an interesting history. /QUOTE]

Yup. They were the station that carried the Chicago Cubs games. With a good daytime signal into Central Phoenix and the East Valley, that made a lot of sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom