• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New sports format launches on 97.3

So what you're saying is one of these translators is rebroadcasting a 67 kHz SCA on KODA?

If the parent station is an SCA subcarrier, the translators aren't rebroadcasting it directly. All the SCAs I've ever heard are somewhere between phone line quality and a poor AM station. Appears most translators here are fed directly, regardless of where the parent signal is--this is readily apparent as the translator audio is often way ahead of the HD subchannel "origination."

It has been several years since I've done a SCA bandscan (and posted about it) but I'll have to fire up my SCA demodulator to see if anything new has popped up. There used to be quite a few SCA services on the air in Houston, but last I checked (2013?) there were only three: the Reading Service for the Blind on 88.7, Radio Maria Catholic religion in Spanish on 90.1, and a Vietnamese broadcaster on 95.7. All these were on the 67 kHz subcarrier; I don't have a demodulator for 92 kHz.

I just checked KODA again. RDS has returned at 57 kHz, but there is nothing at 67 kHz.

Since that's the case, I again have to wonder, how are these translators legal?

KODA-HD3 is clearly a leased translator feeder.

KODA-HD2 is still airing its Top 40 format.

Even if N5TZQ is correct, and the Commission won't issue a NAL to a translator for using SCAs as the "parent station" I have to think the SCAs would have to actually exist to prevent enforcement action.

KODA is parent to four translators, and is currently only broadcasting audio for one on KODA-HD3.

KODA-HD3 is running the "La Nueva" content that is currently on K231CN.

I am unable to receive K245CR or K247CP, but K287BQ is still running the "Dabang" content, I still haven't found what source it is supposedly rebroadcasting. Since they are broadcasting way over licensed power, it sure wouldn't surprise me if it was directly fed in violation of their license...

KODA-HD3 is running the "La Nueva" content that is currently on K231CN.

I am unable to receive K245CR or K247CP, but K287BQ is still running the "Dabang" content, I still haven't found what source it is supposedly rebroadcasting. Since they are broadcasting way over licensed power, it sure wouldn't surprise me if it was directly fed in violation of their license...

To be fair, feeding translators directly has pretty much become the norm.

That said, there does still have to be a station somewhere - FM, AM or HD subchannel - that the translator is supposed to be "rebroadcasting."

In the case of three of the four translators associated with KODA, there doesn't appear to be a parent station anywhere.

As lax as the FCC has become, I still can't imagine that actually having no parent station at all, or simply declaring that KODA is the parent station when it's really not would pass muster under any scrutiny.

To be fair, feeding translators directly has pretty much become the norm.

That said, there does still have to be a station somewhere - FM, AM or HD subchannel - that the translator is supposed to be "rebroadcasting."

In the case of three of the four translators associated with KODA, there doesn't appear to be a parent station anywhere.

As lax as the FCC has become, I still can't imagine that actually having no parent station at all, or simply declaring that KODA is the parent station when it's really not would pass muster under any scrutiny.
Forget the parent station. 105.3 is still wrecking havoc on KTWL.

With the amount of runaway translators and a pirate in the area, the FCC has become a joke. The spirit of "translator" usage has run amok. There is no longer an open channel for personal FM transmitters or part 15 broadcasting inside the loop.

Forget the parent station. 105.3 is still wrecking havoc on KTWL.

With the amount of runaway translators and a pirate in the area, the FCC has become a joke. The spirit of "translator" usage has run amok. There is no longer an open channel for personal FM transmitters or part 15 broadcasting inside the loop.

Wreaking havoc is a bit harder to prove than having no parent station.

No parent station might actually result in some enforcement action should someone who is inclined report it.

I'm beginning to think the FCC could care less about illegals like Ghoul and his ilk.

I filled this out a while ago, got a pretty worthless response.

silly email said:
Hi ,

Your complaint provides valuable information and is shared among FCC bureaus and offices to spot trends and practices that warrant investigation and enforcement action. If the FCC needs more information about your complaint, we will contact you directly.
Thank you for your help in furthering the FCC’s mission on behalf of consumers.

The same thing was sent to me. But hey if we submit enough maybe it will push them to act.

No sign of Latino Sports Radio on 97.3 during my morning and evening commutes today. Are they gone already? Last post on their Facebook page was on July 17.

I heard they are working on something much bigger and better than what they had! We will see..

FM TRANSLATOR APPLICATIONS FOR ASSIGNMENT OF LICENSE INFORMAL OBJECTION
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

TX BALFT-20170705ABE K247CP 148127 CENTRO CRISTIANO DE VIDA ETERNA Voluntary Assignment of License
E 97.3 MHZ HOUSTON, TX From: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE VIDA ETERNA
To: ELOHIM GROUP CORPORATION
Form 345

Informal Objection filed
08/10/2017 by GOW MEDIA,
LLC

So it's still off?

FM TRANSLATOR APPLICATIONS FOR ASSIGNMENT OF LICENSE INFORMAL OBJECTION
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

TX BALFT-20170705ABE K247CP 148127 CENTRO CRISTIANO DE VIDA ETERNA Voluntary Assignment of License
E 97.3 MHZ HOUSTON, TX From: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE VIDA ETERNA
To: ELOHIM GROUP CORPORATION
Form 345

Informal Objection filed
08/10/2017 by GOW MEDIA,
LLC

So it's still off?
Yup. And it seems like GOW will keep fighting this until all interference is gone. The objection seemed to make GOW come off as reasonable and willing to work with CENTRO.

Yup. And it seems like GOW will keep fighting this until all interference is gone. The objection seemed to make GOW come off as reasonable and willing to work with CENTRO.

Speaking of Gow, I'm not hearing the interference to KFNC from the 97.5 translator during some recent checks around my Cy-Fair location. Did Gow get it shut down?

Meanwhile 97.3 still appears to be silent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom