• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOWB Brenton - What's up with WOW?

Let me start off by saying, I love this station's name. WOWW 107.3 Pensacola threw away a perfect branding and set of call letters and Wow 90.9 just picked up a name with local heritage, for free, and ran with it.

In the past WOWB has had CPs for various signal modifications to extend coverage toward Mobile and to the coast, including possible tower moves and translator additions.
Now ABMP is reporting that WOWB has filed for a minor change of COL to Jay, FL (about 15 miles south of Brewton).

I assume the COL change is intended to allow WOWB to relocate to a tower south or west of Jay that won't city grade Brewton. Could WOWB possibly move to a Baldwin Co. tall tower? Would moving to a 500ft Pensacola, Gulf Breeze or FWB tower makes sense? Is any southern move possible without dropping the 100kw signal?

And I have to say it. New station ID: WOWB, Jay = Wow BJ. :)

Last edited:
At one time in 2009, they had a CP to move to a tower site further south, halfway between Brewton and Atmore on AL-113. It never came to fruition, but I imagine that's about as far south as that signal's gonna be able to get. Even then, it had a really funky directional pattern, but it would have improved coverage in Pensacola and most of Baldwin County. No major coastal city would be in the 60 or 70 dBu coverage still, though.

No matter what the maps say, as-is, WOWB has a fine "in car" signal in Pensacola and the best Christian AC format I've ever heard.

We've seen local stations change COLs years before changing facilities several times recently. Looking to get a better Pensacola or even a Mobile signal... that makes perfect sense, I'm just not smart enough to see how they can squeeze an improvement in.
Jay is close enough to the tall towers to go C2 (maybe C1?). It's close enough to the other eisiting Florida towers to go C3 or maybe C2? Maybe a frequency change or swap could make a major upgrade possible? Maybe just positioning for.a future opportunity?

I swear I don't believe in UFOs or own a tin foil hat.

WOWB walks like a duck. Something's up.

I'm sure they have dreams, but I'd be surprised if they have the money to make plans. ;)

You must have one heck of a good car radio; I've been to Pensacola four times in the last month now and WOWB was not present except for late one night and even then the RDS Text was broken up and messy. I actually hear it via enhanced conditions over here in Baldwin County pretty regularly, but I would not consider it be anywhere near daily reliable coverage. I can't see how Pensacola would be any better, even up on the ridge where the mall is.

They'll never be able to get closer to Pensacola than they are now without doing some serious tinkering, changing frequencies or something like that. WTGF in Milton is a C3 and WHIL is a full C, and the separation for a second-adjacent (90.5-90.9-91.3) won't work because they'd have to stay away from WHIL by a minimum of 59 miles, and that's if they drop to a class A. They're currently a C1. Even if that wasn't an issue, WTGF would still require them to be at least 26 miles away, again if they're just a tiny class A.

At least that's with the chart I have; there might be more generous separation requirements in the noncomm band.

Even if they tried to move further east, say over towards Fort Walton, they'd be getting into the territory of WKGC in Panama City and WPSM in FWB.

No matter what the maps say, as-is, WOWB has a fine "in car" signal in Pensacola and the best Christian AC format I've ever heard.

The station has essentially no city grade in the Pensacola market, and the 60 dbu only covers part of the northern third of the two-county market. The station is pretty much locked in to its current location unless a number of co-channel and adjacent channel stations get realigned.

At one time in 2009, they had a CP to move to a tower site further south, halfway between Brewton and Atmore on AL-113. It never came to fruition, but I imagine that's about as far south as that signal's gonna be able to get. Even then, it had a really funky directional pattern, but it would have improved coverage in Pensacola and most of Baldwin County. No major coastal city would be in the 60 or 70 dBu coverage still, though.
The WPFL 105.1 tower (licensed to Century)?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom