• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IP Codec question

Waxxmeister

For you engineers out there...I am looking for a low cost IP codec alternative to the Comrex Access. I want to set up something to do football and basketball broadcasts in a different state than where my studio is. Fire away!...

I've used Skype when I couldn't use my codec. It sounds better than a phone call, and it is free.

I started using Skype last year to do basketball games. Be sure not to involve any phone numbers in the hookup just account to account i.e. start an account in your name and one in the station name then call from your account to the station's account. Anytime you call from or two a phone number even if the number is associated with a Skype account it will be routed through the phone system and sound like s_ _ t. Also, if you are too far away from the station to hear it you can route broadcast audio off the air monitor back on the out going stream heading toward the remote and listen to be sure your on air. The two streams are independent so there is no cross talk. of course there will be a split second delay coming back but at least you can check from time to time to see if your on.

You can set up a shoutcast server and send audio that way and just open it on your studio software. I Have done this for when a local team’s broadcaster wanted to broadcast away games.

Linphone works great

Linphone is an open source (free) AoIP app that runs on anything from WinXP to the latest Android and Apple OS. It can connect to another computer running Linphone but does a great job connecting to a Comrex. You can set up a SIP account for free or, if you have a static IP, connect directly to the studio unit. Just take a laptop to the game with a mic and headphones and connect over WiFi or wireless. I've done two hour broadcasts using my phone as a hot spot without a glitch. For information on how to set it up see the white paper on the Comrex website.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom