• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe Raineri, Revolution Radio 93.5 and West Palm Beach

AMRocks

Star Participant
Okay, so I know that "revolution" has it's main signal on 93.5 in the keys.
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WZFL&service=FM&status=L&hours=U
And they are on one of the iHeart HD2 channels, so they can be on both the 93.5 translator in Miami
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W228BY-FX&s=C
and one in Fort Lauderdale.
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W228BV-FX&s=C

I see that Joe Raineri, most recently from WMEN 640, has been picked up by Zoo Communications to do mornings on the quad cast. And on his show page, he posted this:
"So I guess I'm taking my talents to South Beach. Couldn't be happier to be heading to Miami to work with some of the most talented radio people I've ever met. This is only the beginning. Soon enough I'll be back waking up with my friends in Palm Beach County as well. Get Ready!"

I'm taking that to read that Zoo is in talks to buy WBGF from JVC.
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WBGF-FM&s=C

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Okay, so I know that "revolution" has it's main signal on 93.5 in the keys.
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WZFL&service=FM&status=L&hours=U
And they are on one of the iHeart HD2 channels, so they can be on both the 93.5 translator in Miami
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W228BY-FX&s=C
and one in Fort Lauderdale.
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W228BV-FX&s=C

I see that Joe Raineri, most recently from WMEN 640, has been picked up by Zoo Communications to do mornings on the quad cast. And on his show page, he posted this:
"So I guess I'm taking my talents to South Beach. Couldn't be happier to be heading to Miami to work with some of the most talented radio people I've ever met. This is only the beginning. Soon enough I'll be back waking up with my friends in Palm Beach County as well. Get Ready!"

I'm taking that to read that Zoo is in talks to buy WBGF from JVC.
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WBGF-FM&s=C

Thoughts?

Could be. They bought a station in the Keys to feed translators in Dade and Broward so they could do the same with WBGF for West Palm. I'd like to know how well they bill.

SIDE NOTE: I just saw the latest Miami/Ft Laud monthly numbers and WZFL showed up for the first time with a 0.1 (6+)

Is this guy related to the late Mike Raineri?

Could be. They bought a station in the Keys to feed translators in Dade and Broward so they could do the same with WBGF for West Palm. I'd like to know how well they bill.

The Keys station is commercial. Commercial stations can't use translators to extend the reach of their coverage. I presume that the translators are rebroadcasting leased HD-2 channels.

The FCC is clear: "Ownership and financial support: In general, commercial primary stations and anyone associated with a commercial primary station may neither own nor provide direct or indirect support to non-fill-in translator stations, both before and after the translator commences operation." The only exception is where a station uses translators to fill in "white areas" and I do not believe there are any such areas anywhere in FL, let alone in the Miami MSA.

They apparently don't report to MK, so no idea on billings. It would surprise me if they had any significant revenue. There is not even much on their website that ties in with clients, save for a show or two.

Last edited:

The Keys station is commercial. Commercial stations can't use translators to extend the reach of their coverage. I presume that the translators are rebroadcasting leased HD-2 channels.

The FCC is clear: "Ownership and financial support: In general, commercial primary stations and anyone associated with a commercial primary station may neither own nor provide direct or indirect support to non-fill-in translator stations, both before and after the translator commences operation." The only exception is where a station uses translators to fill in "white areas" and I do not believe there are any such areas anywhere in FL, let alone in the Miami MSA.

They apparently don't report to MK, so no idea on billings. It would surprise me if they had any significant revenue. There is not even much on their website that ties in with clients, save for a show or two.

I'm betting they are leasing an HD channel from iHeart to feed the translators. But I don't have an HD radio to find out for sure!

I'm betting they are leasing an HD channel from iHeart to feed the translators. But I don't have an HD radio to find out for sure!

I do have one so to answer it... yes. W228BY is rebroadcast from WHYI-HD2. And yes, ANCO leases it from iHeart to air programming there.

According to this article from WPTV Anco Media Group has purchased WBGF and will be upgrading it to 50kw by July 1. Hmm. So far there's no application to transfer the license but what I'm curious about is upgrading to 50kw. They have to protect WGYL 93.7 in Vero Beach but to the south they'd only have to protect their own WZFL. Can they have the protection rule waived for their own station and push WBGF's signal south?

According to this article from WPTV Anco Media Group has purchased WBGF and will be upgrading it to 50kw by July 1.
I do not see any application pending, and it looks like they would have to deepen their nulls a lot.
Plus, adding 5db to their signal toward the east would still not match the major Miami stations in downtown WPB.

Last edited:
I think that's correct. If they are co-owned stations, they just agree to accept the interference from themselves.

Also, this was in today's Tom Taylor newsletter:

A reported sale around West Palm Beach by John Caracciolo’s JVC Media is part of the story around the expansion of Anco Media Group’s South Florida “Revolution” dance format. Anco’s been doing business as Zoo Communications, based around full-power station “Revolution 93.5” WZFL Islamorada, supplemented by HD-fed translators in Ft. Lauderdale (W228BV) and Miami (W228BY). Marco Mazzoli’s Anco/Zoo last year bought the Ft. Lauderdale translator from iHeart (June 30, 2016 NOW). The latest Revolutionary news comes from West Palm’s WPTV television, about Anco buying west of Palm Beach WBGF Belle Glade/93.5 from JVC. That sale’s not at the Commission yet, but we do know JVC’s holding a construction permit to nudge WBGF slightly toward the Atlantic Coast and the West Palm Beach market. It would remain a C3. Since New Year, WBGF has been running Scott Shannon’s “True Oldies Channel.” Anco says it’s hiring former West Palm-market personality Joe Raineri to join the “Revolution” morning team of Charisse and Kelly Razzberry. “True Oldies” remains on West Palm translator W233CJ/92.5, owned by Circuitwerkes Inc.

I think that's correct. If they are co-owned stations, they just agree to accept the interference from themselves.

Is there any precedence for such an arrangement? If that is in fact permissible would that be a situation where a STA would be requested? Something that would only apply so long as the stations are co-owned? Were the ownership of one or both of the to stations change I would expect the new operators wouldn't want the interference to continue and would want a legal means of making certain of it.

...but to the south they'd only have to protect their own WZFL.
Way too far south to be of concern. Their issues to the south would include a pair of second channel adjacencies in Miami.
Funny, but it was they (then, WSWN-FM) that prevented those same two Miami stations from moving to Countyline Rd. for many, many years until the C1 class was introduced.
WTMI (93.1) was restricted by them, and Love 94 (93.9) was restricted by both them and the 94.3 in WPB.

Last edited:
Way too far south to be of concern. Their issues to the south would include a pair of second channel adjacencies in Miami.
Funny, but it was they (then, WSWN-FM) that prevented those same two Miami stations from moving to Countyline Rd. for many, many years until the C1 class was introduced.
WTMI (93.1) was restricted by them, and Love 94 (93.9) was restricted by both them and the 94.3 in WPB.

So even if WZFL accepted the interference 93.1 and 93.9 could still object?

Yes, WBGF is directional with a null south towards WZFL and a null north for a station in Vero Beach. This is why a purchase of WBGF Belle Glade by WZFL could be the key to an upgrade. It could change the service contour and interference contours of both stations, even if short-spaced. WZFL is operating with 50 kW at 117 meters and could go as high as 150 meters.
Years ago, WLIB in New York City bought WOWO in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, both on 1190 AM. WLIB was daytime only but this sale resulted in WOWO reducing their nighttime power so WLIB could get night service in the #1 market. I think something on the same lines is brewing for WBGF and WZFL.

That would give WZFL a signal equal to WCTH on the same tower
and you could be on to something here because I just noticed that both of
the W228B's: V and Y have plans to greatly narrow their beamwidths to
only cover southeastern Broward county and Miami Beach, respectively.

They will be losing all of west Broward and southwest Miami-Dade counties.
Would they not cover more people if they just loosened up both of the W228B's patterns
(as they only protect each other)
so they would cover much of two counties that are more lucrative than two that are not as?

Last edited:
Yes, WBGF is directional with a null south towards WZFL and a null north for a station in Vero Beach. This is why a purchase of WBGF Belle Glade by WZFL could be the key to an upgrade. It could change the service contour and interference contours of both stations, even if short-spaced. WZFL is operating with 50 kW at 117 meters and could go as high as 150 meters.
Years ago, WLIB in New York City bought WOWO in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, both on 1190 AM. WLIB was daytime only but this sale resulted in WOWO reducing their nighttime power so WLIB could get night service in the #1 market. I think something on the same lines is brewing for WBGF and WZFL.

If they intend to buy WBGF in order to provide coverage of metro Palm Beach County how will moving WZFL to 150m help with that?

That would give WZFL a signal equal to WCTH on the same tower
and you could be on to something here because I just noticed that both of
the W228B's: V and Y have plans to greatly narrow their beamwidths to
only cover southeastern Broward county and Miami Beach, respectively.

They will be losing all of west Broward and southwest Miami-Dade counties.
Would they not cover more people if they just loosened up both of the W228B's patterns
(as they only protect each other)
so they would cover much of two counties that are more lucrative than two that are not as?

All I know is the owners must have pretty deep pockets because this entire venture must be costing them a fortune

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom