• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can a new host donate to station as a requirement to get on air?

LPFM4135

I am wondering whether it is legal to ask a new host, as part of the process, to make a $ donation as part of the requirement to to get on air? We have vetted potential hosts and we are looking at one of the requirements to be one or both of the following:

Requirements:
1) Donate $100 (or some number) to our LPFM station as a start fee for training and other things to help this new host get on the air
2) Require and commit to X number of volunteer hours per month/period of time

We have done all the hard work of getting this station off the ground and i want to have the new hosts have skin in the fame to help ensure our long term viability and success.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fee for training? Do you actually think that anyone will fall for it?
Why not just explain that you need the money and ask for a donation to help you stay on the air?
These people are volunteers. Rather than making demands of them, you should be thanking them for giving you their time.

That's just my two-cents.

I agree with Frank. Seems to me that you would be by definition, a form of vocational training facility and would require the local state accreditation and all the licenses to go along with it. Essentially what you would be doing is charging tuition to train people how to do radio. Most states would require your curriculum and qualifications accordingly. Doubt that is the intent of your proposal.

The way non-commercial radio typically works is: the station seeks Underwriting from businesses by going to the business owners with something they want to be a part of, through grant writing and through listeners becoming 'members' which is, according to the experts in NCE radio, hard to pull off with any success until about 2 years after you've come on the air.

For businesses to want to be a part, you need listeners. Will what is on the air make listeners stay on your station when they find you on the radio dial? You'll likely be better off recruiting a grant writer so your station is shopped against mission statements of the grant provider and can write a proposal that charms them in to saying yes. You pay them a commission for this. Expect few if any grants. There's tons of competition. But it might help early on. Just don't count on it forever.

If you are worried about volunteers with no 'skin' in the game and are worried about what will happen if volunteers don't, then just don't have volunteers. You can operate the station instead regardless of prior plans. Chances are very, very good you will have few volunteers anyway unless you are within a larger city and your 60 dbu hits perhaps 100,000 or more folks. Even then building awareness that you allow volunteers is difficult. The average LPFM has one or two doing a show.

If your skin in the game has been to become pregnant with a LPFM and then give birth, I trust you realize, like a new born baby, the work has just begun. Your baby, the LPFM, is a 24/7, never a day off job. It's the 3 am trip to the transmitter in a severe thunderstorm or blizzard to get yourself back up on the air. It's paying this or that bill because the money has not come in to the station. It's filling that shift because someone didn't do their job. In short, your work has just begun. And if you truly love radio, you wouldn't have it any other way. You will always have the most skin in the game.

In support for your idea of asking volunteers to have some 'skin' in the game, I know of a few stations that ask volunteers to become members of the station at the published level of membership they desire. One station tried $1 or $2 an hour per show but volunteers didn't always show up. The more successful plan was to offer an option where volunteers would attend a station event or help around the station a certain number of hours a year. It was never more than an hour a month and usually around 6 hours a year. In lieu of paying a membership, volunteers could contribute time (ie: volunteer 6 hours a year or be a member at $30 a year). You must have a volunteer manual to apply these rules, clearly defining what they can and cannot do as part of the station.

Chances are very good you will reach the 'trouble' volunteer that walks around saying it is their station and trying to get merchants to trade Underwriting for merchandise and services until the merchant calls you going ballistic. Then when you lower the boom, the former volunteer talking about what a jerk you are and how bad the station is. I have a buddy that doesn't have enough fingers on his hands to count all of those nor the hours spent trying to mend the fences. You need a way to qualify volunteers and a manual says you have your act together.

You need to ask yourself if filling your broadcast day without a volunteer in each time slot how what you do on the air serves the people in your 60 dbu and creates a product they choose over other radio stations. Too many LPFMs have an idea that corporate radio is bad and you have it right. They are so against corporate radio they ignore the knowledge every radio station uses to gain listeners and fund themselves. No matter the station, it is all about listeners and finding a way to gain operating income as a result of those listeners. Do you have a plan to do that?

I wonder about having a "required donation" as a stipulation for on-air work. That feels like pay for play, and makes it more likely that you'll get on-air people who can pay, as opposed to on-air people who are actually qualified. Then when they pay, they feel that entitles them to that airshift, regardless if they're any good. It becomes more of a brokered station than something that's part of the community. Not sure if that's exactly what you want.

At our station, we never asked for a donation, but we found that a lot of volunteers were willing to donate money, time, and services because they simply wanted to be a part of what we were doing. Our way of thanking them was to make them volunteer co-ordinators or even putting them on our board of trustees. Always thank your volunteers, and always involve your big contributors. But making it a requirement might create some problems down the road.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom