• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 600

Two daytime reports on 600 AM; around 2PM in downtown Saint Petersburg, dxing outside(only place to dx without interference from routers, printers etc)..........a very faint not listenable signal, so faint that at first I could not even determine the language, but then patience paid off, and I heard English and a commercial, so it had to be Jacksonville.

About 90 minutes later in eastern Hernando county, it was clearly and listenable, AM 600 out of Jacksonville.

At night, in Saint Petersburg, it is Cuba; will have to check to see what is on 600 AM at night in eastern Hernando county.

During the four years (ending in 2016) that I was spending most of January on Treasure Island (about 7 miles west of downtown St. Pete), a very weak 600 from Jacksonville was what I was hearing. But on the beach, I could null it and hear WVOG (1kw) from New Orleans. At night, it was all Cuba.

I can finally add CFQR 600, at least during the day. They're still in test mode and the signal is weak but noticeable.

The moving window is starting to get to the quieter parts of the dial here, hi.

Current daytime in NE PA here -- squatso.
Night loggings have been WCAo Baltimore (which used tt make the Salisbury/Ocean City MD book quite well!), a surprise catch with WICC in CT, and the legendary Radio Rebelde (often rated very low 12-plus among hopeful refugees).

Retro, near JFK Airport :

WICC was a car radio button through most of Long Island and even into Manhattan during the day.
They were pretty solid even at night. When they were off the air, and sometimes when nearing sunset, others would come in.
WCVP Murphy NC was one. WFRM Coudersport PA was another SSS catch.
All-night loggings in WICC's absences were WPDQ Jacksonville, WCAO Baltimore, WTAC Flint Michigan, HJHJ from Colombia, and (of course) the heritage Radio Rebelde.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: WMT, Cedar Rapids, IA
Nightime: no station really stands out

DX/RETRO: In the 1980's Cuba ruled this frequency at night with their blowtorch (WRTH used claim it was 150 kW) carrying Radio Moscow World Service besides Radio Rebelde. I remember driving on Lake Shore Drive with Radio Moscow blasting on 600 kHz in my car. Other catches include CKAT (North Bay, ON), KSJB (Jamestown, ND), WREC (Memphis, TN), WCHT (Escanaba, MI), WICC (Bridgeport, CT), WCAo (Baltimore, MD, WKLW (Paintsville, KY), WSJS (Winston, NC), and WBOB (Jacksonville, FL with full power during during a hurricane. Barranquilla, Colombia also heard on this frequency in the past.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom