Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iHeart's Birsmarck 50 kW AM gets defanged

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Canadians would have little interest in the ESPN sports content.

t.
    Actually, my experience primarily from a couple of decades of doing business in Canada is somewhat contrary. The level of interest in American major professional and college sports is quite high. For example, it's usually as easy to find talk NCAA or NFL football with a knowledgeable Canadian fan there as it is here. And as for radio programming, there are large market sports talk stations in Canada that run ESPN or other U.S. sports network shows overnight. CFGO in Ottawa and CFAC in Calgary being two stations that come to mind.

This is not to say, however, that there's any significant interest on the part of listeners or advertisers in having distant US signals from sports talk stations available across the border. 100% American content 24/7 absolutely wouldn't fly in Canada. And if we're talking about the KXMR drop in daytime power and critical hours power from 50/13kw down to 4kw, is more than enough to cover their market. And for that matter most, if not all, of the state. 100% agree that it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.
    Last edited by cyberdad; 07-10-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    Owner of a radio receiver

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdad View Post
    Actually, my experience primarily from a couple of decades of doing business in Canada is somewhat contrary. The level of interest in American major professional and college sports is quite high. For example, it's usually as easy to find talk NCAA or NFL football with a knowledgeable Canadian fan there as it is here. And as for radio programming, there are large market sports talk stations in Canada that run ESPN or other U.S. sports network shows overnight. CFGO in Ottawa and CFAC in Calgary being two stations that come to mind..
    Good observation. My point was that, given the very low ratings ESPN or, worse, Fox Sports gets in most US markets, I'd assume even fewer listeners in Manitoba would be interested.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

My point was that, given the very low ratings ESPN or, worse, Fox Sports gets in most US markets, I'd assume even fewer listeners in Manitoba would be interested.
    Oh, you're absolutely right. And as I'm sure you're aware, the cost-cutting at the major Canadian group broadcasters is particularly endemic on what's left of the AM band up there, not unlike here. Thus, I'd categorize tapping into American overnight sports talk as basically "cheap filler". Canadians' interest in most American sporting events notwithstanding.
    Owner of a radio receiver

I believe that tax laws in Canada do not permit the deduction as a business expense of advertising placed on US stations.

\.

I though NAFTA pretty much did away with a lot of "border" taxes. My former neighbor use to buy his prescriptions thru the mail from Canada. Canada and the US still have the AM channel assignments but that was done thru a treaty IIRC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12