• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Your opinions of the sound of different radio companies?

For this thread, state your opinions of what you've heard of the sound of different radio companies. For example, I like Cumulus stations, because it seems like they have recurrent/gold heavy playlists and tend to program their stations towards a midwest/southern audience generally speaking.

Entercom stations seem kind of monotonous, and while well-programmed, seem to get tiring. However, they do tend to dig deeper for songs than most other radio companies to play from time to time, to which I enjoy. However, these stations a lot of times dig to the bottom of the barrel to play songs no one else will touch anymore, that really weren't any good (103.7 Kiss Fm and "Bedrock," for example.)

Steel City Media seems to have a certain "sound" that works for Kansas City and PIttsburgh, and know their target audience, with playlists that kind of have a natural flow, but don't get boring, and interesting to listen to the whole way through.

iHeartMedia is probably one I don't care for much at all. Their playlists seem so "computerized" and "pre-packaged" that I don't care to listen. They also don't take any kinds of risks on what they play.

There are many other companies too that I haven't touched on, but what are your thoughts on different radio companies (not just the ones I've listed)?

I find Saga's stations to be well programmed. They've managed to find room in several markets for Triple A formats that are unique to their individual markets and not overly repetitious.

I agree that the Saga stations sound unique to their individual markets and they tend to keep their playlists updated with currents, recurrent, some throwbacks and a few deep cuts.

I also find the Emmis stations to be programmed well. Each station seems to have its own identity and they've made an effort to preserve their heritage stations such as KSHE, The Point, and KGSR. They make an effort to stay active in their communities and promote local artists.

I give extra points to Hot 97 and Power 106 for inserting music into their online streams during their commercial breaks. It's nice to hear the music flow so smoothly. If they're playing old school hip-hop, then the song during the commercial break is old school. I'm surprised anyone in LA or New York would choose to listen to the over-the-air transmission with long commercial sets when the online stream is so much better. It's definitely a huge improvement over CBS Radio streams that play the same repetitive promos for CBS TV shows during commercial breaks.

Speaking of Saga, I have to say that WNRG (Energy 106.9)/Milwaukee does well with its Rhythmic Top 40 format. Very refreshing and balanced.

If you want to hear good ones, try NRG Media's KOPW/Omaha, Alpha Media's WDHT/Dayton, Morgan Murphy Media's KZZU, KHTQ, and KEZE in Spokane, or even WTOK/San Juan, which is locally owned and very unique for Puerto Rico.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom