• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Arrr...Pirate Radio in Phoenix/Wickenburg 96.3 KSWG - who knew???

For many years KSWG has leased their transmitter land from the Arizona State Land Department. The site has some name about vultures. Perhaps appropriate. Fortunately they filed an application to correct the error before the FCC filed any complaint about them. So they appear to be acting in good faith.

I agree with JohnDavis who suggests that much of the destruction of the FM band has been at the urging of the radio industry. Big problem remains that the top officials at the FCC are political appointees with little engineering background. There's a need for something so we'll just do it even if we must throw sound engineering to the wind. For example, if the ionosphere presents a problem just repeal it. If interference standards get in the way, get rid of them.

For many years KSWG has leased their transmitter land from the Arizona State Land Department. The site has some name about vultures. Perhaps appropriate. Fortunately they filed an application to correct the error before the FCC filed any complaint about them. So they appear to be acting in good faith.

Correcting the exact location of the stick is one thing, but knowingly orienting your antenna in a direction that it's supposed to protect is another. Barna covers that base by showing a reduction in coverage to the southeast in order to protect the third adjacent channel (96~Nine). But the filed modification is quite a contrast to what he's been showing advertisers on his web site's coverage map (ha-ha-ha!). By pulling the signal back in, Phoenix translator 96~Three should be able to operate without KSWG overpowering it.

I finally broke down and visited some of the locations of the people that purportedly are experiencing interference. THERE IS NO INTERFERENCE. I had heard this from some other engineering types so I investigated too. I defy anyone to drive Northwest Phoenix and hear one station spurring on to the other. Barna's original complaint is mystifying as it exposed him to this problem and there was no actual interference.

From where I'm at in Glendale, which is a lot closer to the 96.1 K241CS-FM translator than any would be complaints from Surprise, I can hear 96.3 KSWG-FM just fine on a normal car radio as well as my portable radio in my office. Also, I can receive 95.9 KKLD-FM as well with no interference from K241CS-FM. So I call bologna on these complaints!

Here in Prescott, we have been receiving the 96.3 translator for AM 1600,
KYBC, Cottonwood. While the signal is directed over Cottonwood from atop
Mingus Mtn, the signal here in Prescott is usable, as long as you have line
of sight to Mingus Mtn. Today, in lieu of KYBC, we're receiving KSWG in
some parts of Prescott. Perhaps they are doing some testing.........

..or sending more pow, pow, power your way in order to take on KAHM, if and when the elevator comes to a halt!

When I was nine I dressed up as a fireman for Halloween and a 18 year old dressed as a pirate stole all my candy...ever since then I've had a problem with pirates.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom