• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I Guess Radio Advertising Works

When I was a kid in Baltimore, a large dry cleaning business called Hampton Cleaners ran a commercial that I still remember, including the telephone number. The spot featured a song sung with a little kid's voice, that went, "Mommy, call Hampton, Belmont 5-0-6-0-0 (Belmont 5-oh-6-oh-oh)". And a later version used the kid's voice to sing, "Mommy, I did it. Belmont 5-6-0-0."

Another commercial I used to hear growing up--and everybody in town knew it and probably still remembers it--was for a Chevrolet dealer in the Govans neighborhood of Baltimore. The spot always ended with, "Jerry's Govans Chevrolet, 5600 York Road at Bellona, best place to become a Chevrolet own-a." That dealer is still in business but in the Towson area. I heard one of their spots last year, and it was nowhere near as memorable.

I grew up in the days of independent local department stores. One of the major ones in Baltimore was Hochschild Kohn (pronounced "cone.") The store ran a radio campaign that was a song. It went, "When you buy better try Hochschild Kohn. It's the store Baltimore calls its own..."

Well, there was a well-known funeral home in town called William Cook. We school kids created a William Cook Funeral Home song sung to the tune of the Hochschild Kohn commercial. It went, "When you die better try William Cook. He's the greatest undertaker in the book. He's got caskets by the dozens for your uncles, aunts and cousins, when you die better try William Cook." It even had a second verse: "When you die better try William Cook. He's the greatest undertaker in the book. His prices are cheaper, he'll bury you deeper, when you die better try William Cook.

Have you heard the Hardy Chevrolet spot by Don Baines? He says your "vee-hickel" is a special place. And " watching your daughter play with a golden retriever in the back seat." Why does it have to be a golden retriever?
He calls it a goden retriever and also talks about being on the way to schoo. If he can't pronounce the Ls in some words, maybe radio advertising isn't for him.

Back in the early 70's one of the Noo Yawk newz stations had a frequent advertiser who had a jingle which repeated their phone number time after time. I can still remember the phone number but haven't got a clue who the advertiser was (other than it was a hotel of some sort).

This isn't the exact ad I had in mind but it is the phone number. They are still working it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovpkBX8qf08

(jingle) Don't sign the dotted line until you've called Casteelle... (sp?)

Another WSB commercial. I'm in the middle of heavy negotiations. I'm getting ready to sign a contract. But, wait. I need to call Casteele. Can't do it. Why? They never gave the flippin' fone number.

Man, I feel like a broken record here. Just how many WSB sponsors tell you to call them and don't give the phone number? You could easily give a phone number in place of a stupid jingle.

Oh, well... I guess radio advertising works...

(jingle) Don't sign the dotted line until you've called Casteelle... (sp?)

Another WSB commercial. I'm in the middle of heavy negotiations. I'm getting ready to sign a contract. But, wait. I need to call Casteele. Can't do it. Why? They never gave the flippin' fone number.

Man, I feel like a broken record here. Just how many WSB sponsors tell you to call them and don't give the phone number? You could easily give a phone number in place of a stupid jingle.

Oh, well... I guess radio advertising works...

I think Casteel is a Kyle commercial.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom