• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2017

"Beauty pageant numbers" or not, the folks at More FM cannot be happy about this. A drop to 7.0--allowing CBS's WOGL to claim the top spot--could possibly, maybe, arguably be attributed to something other than CBS throwing on a Mainstream AC that knocked 101.1 down a few pegs. But seriously, when was the last time WBEB was at 7.0? Seems that something potentially interesting might actually be happening in Philly radio. It's been a while!

Worth noting: WTDY was #4 in cume, one of only 5 stations that reach more than 1 million. Not too shabby!

Last edited:
"Beauty pageant numbers" or not, the folks at More FM cannot be happy about this. A drop to 7.0--allowing CBS's WOGL to claim the top spot--could possibly, maybe, arguably be attributed to something other than CBS throwing on a Mainstream AC that knocked 101.1 down a few pegs. But seriously, when was the last time WBEB was at 7.0? Seems that something potentially interesting might actually be happening in Philly radio. It's been a while!

While both stations, WOGL and WBEB, have very close 12+ numbers, the difference in 25-54 is significant. WBEB averages 50% more listening in the sales than old-leaning WOGL.

At a significant number of stations, 12+ numbers are not even looked at when the books come out.

WOGL has kept older songs longer than other CBS classic hits stations. Wonder how long that continues.

While both stations, WOGL and WBEB, have very close 12+ numbers, the difference in 25-54 is significant. WBEB averages 50% more listening in the sales than old-leaning WOGL.

At a significant number of stations, 12+ numbers are not even looked at when the books come out.

No surprises there. But I definitely think people over-represent how little radio folks care about 6+ numbers. Of course they're not used for sales but it's not like people don't flip to that page at all! I'm sure they're good for boosting (or degrading) morale too. And of course, they're the only numbers the public sees (not that most of the public cares to look--LOL), thus the "beauty pageant" moniker.

WOGL undoubtedly (and purposefully) reaches for an older audience than does WBEB. But honestly, how much less valuable are mid-40's to mid-50's men versus mid-30's to mid-40's women? I would think that there are plenty of advertisers who pay a pretty penny to reach both demos and that there's plenty of advertiser crossover, no?

WOGL has kept older songs longer than other CBS classic hits stations. Wonder how long that continues.

It's interesting because they have made a clear shift forward in time, despite what appeared to be a years-long campaign to stay exactly where they were. Seeing "Rush Rush" in rotation was a surprise considering it was a hit in 1991. Yes, the older stuff is still there but it seems to work. IMHO, WOGL's playlist is the best it's looked in quite a while. I guess these songs must all test well with the audience CBS wants to reach with WOGL, otherwise they wouldn't be spinning.

I am 66 and only listen to WRFF, and WMGK HD-2, I guess I should be put in a museum, or out to pasture, but I am sure their are more like me around that tune in WRFF. LMAO

No surprises there. But I definitely think people over-represent how little radio folks care about 6+ numbers. Of course they're not used for sales but it's not like people don't flip to that page at all! I'm sure they're good for boosting (or degrading) morale too. And of course, they're the only numbers the public sees (not that most of the public cares to look--LOL), thus the "beauty pageant" moniker.

The only time I look at 12+ numbers is when I see markets where I do not have access to the full data. But in the markets where it matters, I don't open 12+ unless I want to compare a target demo (18-49, 25-54 or 18-34) to the totals to do forensics. But for most weeks and months, I never open 12+ as the data tends to decrease focus on what is important.

WOGL undoubtedly (and purposefully) reaches for an older audience than does WBEB. But honestly, how much less valuable are mid-40's to mid-50's men versus mid-30's to mid-40's women? I would think that there are plenty of advertisers who pay a pretty penny to reach both demos and that there's plenty of advertiser crossover, no?

That is why agencies that do reach and frequency analysis will buy multiple stations and formats.

I am 66 and only listen to WRFF, and WMGK HD-2, I guess I should be put in a museum, or out to pasture, but I am sure their are more like me around that tune in WRFF. LMAO

If you're right, that may be why they bill so poorly, despite good 12+ numbers.

Their are way more older folks listening to DAS-FM than to WRFF, so how do they bill so well.

WDAS-FM averages 2nd in 25-54, the core sales demo. WRFF averages around 5th.

WRFF is about 7th on average in women 25-54, while WDAS-FM averages 2nd place.

WRFF has a format that is less advertiser friendly. It is below 15th in billings, while WDAS_FM is 4th.

WDAS-FM averages 2nd in 25-54, the core sales demo. WRFF averages around 5th.

WRFF is about 7th on average in women 25-54, while WDAS-FM averages 2nd place.

WRFF has a format that is less advertiser friendly. It is below 15th in billings, while WDAS_FM is 4th.

For some reason, it seems advertisers simply don't want to buy WRFF's target audience. Maybe it's simple (there are more lucrative targets to buy in the market). Or maybe it's more complicated. I haven't listened to 104.5 in ages but the last time I did, it kinda sounded like they were aiming for females in their 30's to maybe early 40's. Like I said, I have no idea who they're aiming for now but if they're still aiming for that group, it's the death knell soccer mom demo that killed the seemingly endless attempts at Modern AC on 95.7 FM.

WPHT's weekday, day part schedule is local other than the three hours Rush is on. So from 5:30am to noon is local, from 3pm to 6pm is local when they go back to the bird for Hannity. Seems like WPHT is providing Philly with live and local talk during the day, other than Rush. Rush still is a draw so why allow another station in the market take Rush? It seems that early on in this discussion, it was mentioned that WPHT IS making money which for an AM station today is a good thing.

Julius, you have a number of talk type stations to choose from, 610 ESPN radio, 990 WZZD conservative talk, 900 WURD, 1210 WPHT, 94.1 WIP Philly-centric Sports talk, 97.5 WPEN-FM Philly-centric sports talk and ESPN Radio. Online you can also get WDEL[Wilmington], WBAL[Baltimore] both of these offer live and local talk / news all during the day parts [of course that isn't Philly oriented. They both are their respective leaders, in their market, for live and local talk. Also online WWTX AM-1290 Wilmington with Fox Sports Talk also online. Also online you can also hear CBS Sports Radio, and CBS Radio News where all the CBS Radio and much of the CBS TV news oriented shows air at: http://tunein.com/radio/CBS-Radio-News-s129948/ So if the OTA radio choices you have don't interest you, then maybe it's time for you to go online, as I do. Sure I listen to the various Sports/Talk stations in Philly and Wilmington, plus go online for other offerings. At tunein.com they offer a section of talk show podcasts on many topics, not just political. You can even find a StarTrek radio show that is a modern day radio drama, it's called Star Trek Outpost. It's very well done. So do some exploring and find tons of spoken word programming for free online.

WPHT's weekday, day part schedule is local other than the three hours Rush is on. So from 5:30am to noon is local, from 3pm to 6pm is local when they go back to the bird for Hannity. Seems like WPHT is providing Philly with live and local talk during the day, other than Rush. Rush still is a draw so why allow another station in the market take Rush? It seems that early on in this discussion, it was mentioned that WPHT IS making money which for an AM station today is a good thing.

Julius, you have a number of talk type stations to choose from, 610 ESPN radio, 990 WZZD conservative talk, 900 WURD, 1210 WPHT, 94.1 WIP Philly-centric Sports talk, 97.5 WPEN-FM Philly-centric sports talk and ESPN Radio. Online you can also get WDEL[Wilmington], WBAL[Baltimore] both of these offer live and local talk / news all during the day parts [of course that isn't Philly oriented. They both are their respective leaders, in their market, for live and local talk. Also online WWTX AM-1290 Wilmington with Fox Sports Talk also online. Also online you can also hear CBS Sports Radio, and CBS Radio News where all the CBS Radio and much of the CBS TV news oriented shows air at: http://tunein.com/radio/CBS-Radio-News-s129948/ So if the OTA radio choices you have don't interest you, then maybe it's time for you to go online, as I do. Sure I listen to the various Sports/Talk stations in Philly and Wilmington, plus go online for other offerings. At tunein.com they offer a section of talk show podcasts on many topics, not just political. You can even find a StarTrek radio show that is a modern day radio drama, it's called Star Trek Outpost. It's very well done. So do some exploring and find tons of spoken word programming for free online.
I don't really know if 1210 AM can stay talk long term and keep the current ratings, given the current landscape of AM radio, talk radio, and Philly radio in general and the pending ownership change to Entercom. I'm also not sure if the new owner wants to run a separate news (KYW 1060) and separate talk station (WPHT 1210) in the same market . It's going to be interesting to see what Entercom does with 1210 AM. Keep it as is, or make changes. I think KYW 1060 will remain as is.

Last edited:
I'm also not sure if the new owner wants to run a separate news (KYW 1060) and separate talk station (WPHT 1210) in the same market .

If ANY owner has two AM stations in the same market that are making money, they're definitely going to keep them as they are. Both 1060 and 1210 are making money. No changes will be made until THAT changes.

For some reason, it seems advertisers simply don't want to buy WRFF's target audience. Maybe it's simple (there are more lucrative targets to buy in the market). Or maybe it's more complicated. I haven't listened to 104.5 in ages but the last time I did, it kinda sounded like they were aiming for females in their 30's to maybe early 40's. Like I said, I have no idea who they're aiming for now but if they're still aiming for that group, it's the death knell soccer mom demo that killed the seemingly endless attempts at Modern AC on 95.7 FM.

In an average of Jan-Feb-Mar WRFF is 9th in Women and 6th in Men, with the core being 25-44 year old men. This is rather typical performance for them.

If ANY owner has two AM stations in the same market that are making money, they're definitely going to keep them as they are. Both 1060 and 1210 are making money. No changes will be made until THAT changes.

This.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom