• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dance Format alive on 93.9 PLAY-FM/Panama City & Revolution 93.5/South Florida

raydiodude

Frequent Participant
There hasn't been a lot of talk on this board lately but the all-dance/EDM format is alive and well on two different Florida stations right now - both of which are VERY well programmed musically and have very good station imaging.

--- 93.9 PLAY-FM/Panama City --- (AM 1290 WPCF + W230CA/93.9 FM translator) is owned by Evolution Broadcasting & Patrick Pfeffer, owner of Club LaVela. This station has been doing all-dance/EDM since January 2014 & sounds wayyyy bigger than just being 90 watts in a very small market. Pfeffer has been a HUGE EDM fan all his life, you can tell by listening that this station is programmed by someone who LOVES the music and gets how to execute the format. PLAY-FM runs dance music (and a few pop remixes) during the day 5a-6p, then after 6pm it opens up and delves deeper into House, Techno, Trance, Deep House, Breakbeats, Drum & Bass & Trap type tracks. And while most dance stations would only get into those deeper sub-genres by airing a bunch of specialty mix shows, PLAY_FM doesn't. They do run some specialty mix shows throughout the week, but I would say 75% of the songs played are individual tracks. Songs are on a fairly tight playlist BUT new music is added ALL the time. I listen to them constantly and have never burned out on any particular song. There are no jocks on PLAY-FM but the station has a huge sense of personality in it's imaging/promos/ID's. Extremely high energy ALL of the time, station voiceover guy has a lot of attitude - always sounds like the fun guy you wanna party with & maybe even get in a little trouble too kinda thing. Stopsets are no more than 2x an hour & are rarely longer than 60-90 sec total. (As you can imagine, Club LeVela spots run heavy). An interesting accomplishment of 93.9 PLAY-FM's is that even with it's "niche" format, small coverage area on a 90 watt translator, with two full signal top 40 stations competing in little market #228 - PLAY FM managed to show up in the 12+ Panama City Nielsens for several books in 2015-2016. (If I recall correctly, the three books were 0.5-0.6-0.8). Not sure is PLAY-FM just didnt show in the last book or if Evolution just didn't buy the latest book.
Website is well done, has a working listen live - www.939playfm.com
Facebook is always active - www.facebook.com/939playFM
Twitter tweets out title/artist of each song playing - http://twitter.com/939playfm
I use their 93.9 PLAY-FM Android App all the time, never any issues. (Wish the app would consistently do title/artist too though).

--- Revolution 93.5/South Florida --- (WZFL-FM 93.5 Islamorada 50,000 watts + translators W228BY-FM 93.5/Miami 250 watt + W228BV-FM 93.5/Ft Lauderdale 200 watt as well as WHYI FM HD-2 + WMIA-FM HD2 both covering Miami/Ft Lauderdale).

I just recently started listening to Revolution. Things I noticed right away - the station SOUNDS like a Miami dance station should. Music is very well programmed, huge variety of different types of dance. They run a HUGE list of specialty mix shows. There are on-air personalities during the week (not sure of they are live or not though). Imaging is excellent however they do overuse the "stereo typical dance station" British accent female voice over chick. (I've just personally grown tired of that on every dance station, I would think a more Latino sounding female would work better for the market).

Website is also well done, has listen live once you find it (click radio, then click on-air) - www.revolution935.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/revolutionradiomiami
Twitter - twitter.com/revradiomiami
They consistently post Daily Line-Up/Schedules on their Instagram - www.instagram.com/revolutionradiomiami
Tried downloading the Android App recently, installed it, opened it & then it just quits & closes. (This could very well be an issue with my phone)

Anyways, I dont have anything to do with either station, just a big fan of both of them and thought they deserved a plug.
Enjoy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom