• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jeff Kuhner WRKO Ratings

1430 is admittedly getting an asterisk in the ratings now and they run Rush,Sean etc. When Rush was on RKO yrs ago it may have been halfway decent at best.For many stations who don't want to go local at noon or who are forced to carry it (iHeart owned) he can do OK. RKO had to pay big bucks for him and opted out.

WCCM 1110 Salem NH, now WMVX was running Rush for awhile w a talk format including launching a translator at 98.9.Then talk was abruptly dropped for classic hits as Valley 98.9 (& 1110)

I don't know what the actual ratings are but one of the radio trades said yesterday that Boston is the first market where a Rush station doesn't show up in the ratings. So whatever Kuhner has is a whole lot more than that blowhard. There is a reason you can barely find Rush on the air in markets like LA, New York and Chicago. Check the ratings for WLS, WOR and KEIB where Rush is the anchor. RKO beats them all 6+. I'm not a conservative talk fan but there's no disputing the topline numbers.

Kuhner says his ratings are THREE TIMES what Limbaugh's were in the noon to three slot...LMAO...:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jeff is top 10 with adults 35-64, Rush was 20th. He is top 5 with men 25-54, Rush was 15th. Sure you could argue that advertisers don't buy those numbers, or they don't matter. Point is, he is well outperforming Rush. And last I heard, the station comes in well above it's sales budget/goals. Say what you want, WRKO is doing well.

They get to run more local spots and offer local content.Rush is still on maybe 500 plus stations but his newer contract is for much less money.Still there are national advertisers who want to pay. iHeart had to launch 1430 as a talker because they do make some money nationally off talk and need to clear the market, no matter how small the station is.

In Pitt. when iHeart's FM talker went country, an AM picked Rush up--not an iHeart station but an indie. iHR may even be providing studio space for this AM (WJAS).

Daly XXL (1510) and Salem (1260) prefer not to run Rush, Sean etc. They have their own hosts (local in case of former, national with latter).

Admittedly when Jeff moved to noon and he expressed a desire to syndicate he did say that noon was the most important time slot for radio stations...though we in the business know it's AM and PM drive. Still they can make money with him, too. And after 7 pm with the exception of WBZ (which switches from news TO talk), local talk stations all seem to go syndie or even syndie sports (1430 has Fox Sports 1-9 am I believe). The audience isn't there as much.

Last edited:
When it comes anything Krazy K00000nah says about himself on the air, I always have to put it in this context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzs9fBTRsmM

This is the same guy who was single-handedly claiming responsibility for his "rallies" (all 100 attendees) getting Justina Pellitier released from Boston Children's Hospital, announcing to his audience "...this... THIS is the one they're going to IMPEACH Obama over..."... and yes... let's not forget... WE'RE GOING NATIONAL, BAAAAAAYBE

RKO just had a series of goofups during Howie Carr; TOH newscast ran about 10 min early; top of hour, a few minutes of dead air then the WMass version of WEEI (the Easthampton one) gets potted up before quickly getting Howie back on.
(So, I half expected to hear Jim Cutler voicing a "Sports Radio 680 WRKO" liner--format change! Naaaaah)

RKO just had a series of goofups during Howie Carr; TOH newscast ran about 10 min early; top of hour, a few minutes of dead air then the WMass version of WEEI (the Easthampton one) gets potted up before quickly getting Howie back on.
(So, I half expected to hear Jim Cutler voicing a "Sports Radio 680 WRKO" liner--format change! Naaaaah)

Yup, caught this; thought I had dozed off and was dreaming when the news was on and it wasn't quite 6 PM yet. But before there was too much WEEI, Howie was switched back on.

There was also about six minutes of dead air on 'RKO Monday between 5:29 and 5:35 PM. Howie was brought back in mid-sentence.

I thought this crappe was over with; seems its back with a vengeance. And while i'm at it, those morning news feeds from TTN get replayed every other hour; they are not fresh and live as I would expect from a news-talk station. Worse, the same weather clip played during the morning show is run almost all day, well into the afternoon. It was 1:00 PM and the weather guy was still mentioning thunderstorms in the area during the morning.

I like 'RKO, but it will always be second fiddle to WEEI. I hope/pray that WBZ-AM has to be spun off following the Entercom acquisition. (Wonder if Beasley has any cash left? They could turn in their license for WRCA and its much-ballyhooed translator and grab "the spirit of New England".)

I hope/pray that WBZ-AM has to be spun off following the Entercom acquisition. (Wonder if Beasley has any cash left? They could turn in their license for WRCA and its much-ballyhooed translator and grab "the spirit of New England".)

Beasley is frugal, they won't spend what it costs to staff WBZ-AM

Yes..it had been the Money Matters one in Needham for about yr then he went to another that was video friendly for live streaming and an hr on cable

I listen to Crazy Kuhner for pure amusement. Beyond being a legend in his own mind, I think the guy is seriously delusional. During the Presidential campaign he regularly told guests The Kuhner Report was the highest rated political talk show in all of New England.

After he was moved from mornings he took congratulatory calls for weeks about his new nationally syndicated program.

I am not going to dispute the ratings another poster claims but I do know that spots on his show sell for rock bottom rates and just one listen to who buys his show tells you that advertisers are not lining up to be on his program.

He regularly talk about the liberal forces who have been trying to take him off the air. There has never been any organized effort to get his show canceled.

He can't get a paper to publish his columns that he posts on the RKO website. He begs listeners to email them around.

Yesterday he called on Adam Jones to quit baseball if he couldn't take the heat from the other teams fans yet last week he declared that he would be getting the names of texters to his show so his lawyer to sue them for liable and slander. Good luck with that.

He really missed out yesterday. He could have made himself look more like a decent, reasonable human being if he had only spoke out and condemned racism.

He really missed out yesterday. He could have made himself look more like a decent, reasonable human being if he had only spoke out and condemned racism.

That's not what his audience wants to hear from him. Check out the Facebook and Twitter reactions to the Adam Jones incident. They range from denial that it ever happened, to cries of reverse racism, the obnoxious "Suck it up, buttercup" admonitions, and even accusations that the fan(s) involved were part of a liberal-based Black Lives Matter-supporting "false flag" operation! This isn't a crowd looking for decency or reasonableness.

Yes..it had been the Money Matters one in Needham for about yr then he went to another that was video friendly for live streaming and an hr on cable

Given that Barry's own The financial Exchange was suffering the same fate today as Howie has been, I'm guessing the AoIP link at the 'RKO end is faulty.

"Back in the day", i.e., when stations used telco lines, I don't ever remember there being this much "network difficulty".

I listen to Crazy Kuhner for pure amusement. Beyond being a legend in his own mind, I think the guy is seriously delusional. During the Presidential campaign he regularly told guests The Kuhner Report was the highest rated political talk show in all of New England.

Krazy K000nah has a whole list of things he's delusional over. At one point I recall him claiming his "rallies" where singularly responsible for getting Justina Pelletier released from captivity at Boston Children's Hospital.

And, never forget how "Trump's people" are always "listening to the show" for K00000nah's sage political advice. (Despite the fact that, other than 1 time early on during the campaign, Trump has never appeared on K0000nah's show, nor had K0000nah ever been invited to fly on Trump's plane, like Howie has, etc... but, I digress...)

Oh, and how can we forget a few years ago, every other day he was on the air about some "scandal" of Obama and how "This...THIS is the one they HAVE to impeach him over"!

If he were such a sage political commentator than he'd know impeachment is a political action, and there was simply no way Congress was going to impeach Obama. On the other hand, I *could* see Congress impeaching Trump to get Pence (a creature of 'the swamp' himself) in there to make it easier to work with the executive branch.

After he was moved from mornings he took congratulatory calls for weeks about his new nationally syndicated program.

lol. the lemmings really lapped that one up. I recall all the promo spots he was playing with callers congratulating him on his "going national"... as soon as the ratings were "up", of course.

John DePetro, recently of WPRO now on WADK, has more affiliate stations than K000nah. JD has branched out now to an hour of simulcast on WNRI in the 1pm hour, which gets him some coverage in the lower end of metrowest, if propagation charts are at all accurate. K00000nah? still waiting on that first affiliate station lol.

He can't get a paper to publish his columns that he posts on the RKO website. He begs listeners to email them around.

lol yup.

Google "The Edmund Burke Institute for American Renewal" for a laugh.

last week he declared that he would be getting the names of texters to his show so his lawyer to sue them for liable and slander. Good luck with that.

lol caught that too. Can't wait to read the legal brief on that one. Is it "libel" because texts are "written" on the computer screen, or "slander" because a texter used siri to dictate it? :)

Sad thing is, I truthfully think Kuhner could be an excellent political analyst/commentator. Just like a blind squirrel who will, on occasion, find a nut, Kuhner does periodically have a good 12 o'clock monologue. I do not know why he insists on catering to the "low brow" crowd with the drama-queen antics, "alahalhlahalalhallahalhalhalhalahhalalahalhala" voices, and so on. He really could learn a thing or two if he listened to Mike Siegel, who RKO uses as a sub from time to time when K0000nah is off for whatever reason. I guess I need to start paying attention to who is advertising on his program, that will tell me what the demographics of his listening audience are. Maybe they all do have a 7th grade education.

I switch him off now at 1pm and listen to DePetro for 4 hours. I've listened to JD for virtually his entire career in local broadcasting. Granted, his show tends to focus more on Rhodyland topics, but I live close enough to Rhodyland that I'm more in tune with what's happening there than what's happening on Bacon Hill or MetroWest.

That's not what his audience wants to hear from him. Check out the Facebook and Twitter reactions to the Adam Jones incident. They range from denial that it ever happened, to cries of reverse racism, the obnoxious "Suck it up, buttercup" admonitions, and even accusations that the fan(s) involved were part of a liberal-based Black Lives Matter-supporting "false flag" operation! This isn't a crowd looking for decency or reasonableness.

Personally I've thought most of the reactions of the Adam Jones incident were overreactions. Unfortunately, what you seem to get at sporting events are a high percentage drunk imbeciles. A certain percentage of those are going to be drunk racist imbeciles. More liberal hosts were spinning the idiotic actions of a few into a whole "Boston is a racist city" narrative. I've never equated throwing peanuts at someone as a racist act, as some have claimed, although I think everyone universally agrees it is a completely unacceptable action. Some people in today's "professional victim" society now go around looking for "racism" under every rock, when most of the time, imbeciles are simply imbeciles.

Given that Barry's own The financial Exchange was suffering the same fate today as Howie has been, I'm guessing the AoIP link at the 'RKO end is faulty.

Yesterday or day before Howie's show had dead air on RKO. I switched to 1420 out of New Bedford thinking "enteracom happens" and 1420 had dead air too, so my take on it was the problem was at the studio end. He then came back mid-sentence, so maybe Grace accidentally flipped a switch on the console when she was lining up for a photo shoot.

Last edited:
A little while back there were periodic outages on WRKO (signal and stream, or just one?) during Howie. He has been saying "we are aware of the problems on the Boston station, you can listen to us online..." Maybe it is the studio end, who knows,
but he had mentioned "the Boston station"

As for Kuhner columns, a couple local conservative publications (at some coffee shops etc), The Valley Patriot and The Boston Broadside have done some transcriptions of Kuhner, Howie, and Ed Lambert of WXTK. I think I saw one box of the free Broadside and there was a sign showing Kuhner, promoting the paper. So, not really a column but Kuhner is featured. On the conservative site Free Republic someone started a commentary thread of the Kuhner show but not much response. And yes,
Jeff's wife had a show on WBIX for a while but she's gone now, replaced by Salem's Mike Gallagher.

It has been mentioned shows like Sandy Shack don't really feature calls. I note that on my periodic trips to Pittsburgh (or listening online) when WPGP1250 there, a Salem talk station, has Rose Tennant and she talks, appears to take no calls.

>>Bold and sassy with a razor sharp wit. She is Pittsburgh’s ‘mama grizzly’. Rose Unplugged serves up a fresh brew of politics, faith, and family values. - See more at: http://www.am1250theanswer.com/radioshow/local#sthash.10FT16A2.dpuf

Last edited:
What happens when there's a radio or TV talk show which expects phone calls and gets none?Here's an old Saturday Night Live sketch where Buck Henry runs into that problem.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75utalkback.phtml

>>if there are, and you want to talk back to me, Frank Noland, I'm prepared to talk back to you! Maybe you forgot to make a note of those numbers. The numbers again are eight zero-zero, five-five-five, three-three-one-zero -- one-one, one-two, one-three, one-four, one-five, one-six, one-seven, one-eight and one-nine. And I'm ready to talk back on these same topics: Federally Supported Municipal Bonds, Forced Busing, and "Soviet Communism Here and Now"! I, Frank Noland, am ready to talk back to you in support of spending federal funds to bus known Soviet Communists into your community now -- to teach your children and to live in your house, whether you like it or not!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom