• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXNG - Is it working?

b-turner

Star Participant
New ratings released today. While we only have the 6+ 6a to 12M overall, it appears KXNG needs a potential retooling.

The February PPM Topline showed a .3 with 1,600 for the average quarter hour but a time spent listening way down to 1:15 a week. That is a miserable TSL. KSBJ is 4:15 by comparison.

The March ratings show KXNG sliding from a .3 to a .2.

I'm not sure classical performed that poorly. It seems KUHF figured 91.7 for fulltime classical but when the first fundraiser didn't hit its goal, they got rid of air staff and hooked up to Classical 24. I recall a 1.0 or better as classical with longer TSLs. KSBJ purchased the frequency to bring their 'youth oriented Christian format' that had been online for quite a long time to a Houston over the air signal. Given the format was online only a few years, then available on a translator and online, it is rather surprising to me that the on air product has nor performed better.

I'm not sure classical performed that poorly.

It did poor enough for them to sell it at a loss. I'm betting these guys won't do that, regardless of the ratings.

They're not motivated by ratings. They're motivated by hellfire and damnation. That's a whole lot scarier than Nielsen.

The difference here is that if this station loses money, they've got a cash cow down the hall.

It's obviously working better than classical.

It's actually not. The station had a 0.9 share P6+ at this time last year with classical.

It's not even working with P12-24 or P18-34, one of which I'm guessing is the target demo.

Meanwhile, KHJK is performing much better with a far inferior signal, aiming for the same audience.

I'm not sure what it is, but KSBJ is doing something very wrong with NGEN.

My shot in the dark wild guess is they're going too extreme, too fringe with NGEN to protect KSBJ, while KHJK plays much of KSBJ's uptempo mainstream tracks.

In other words, KSBJ is Christian Hot AC, KHJK is Christian CHR and NGEN is whatever KSBJ thinks might be attractive to youth but won't cannibalize KSBJ.

We will see. Their fund drive is at the beginning of May. I notice they are adding quite a bit to the playlist.

That will be interesting. Looking at the numbers, about 145,000 is the weekly cume but the time spent listening is only 75 minutes a week. While the touted average of one in ten listeners donating, it seems that is much lower when TSLs are low. In other words, the more a listener spends with the station weekly, the more likely they are to become a donor.

Adding to the playlist seems good. Some complained a song in a certain 'current' rotation was still there months later. From what I can gather, Contemporary Christian seems to be more 'recurrent' based than most formats from my sporadic listening.

Read what I said in Post #4.

It's not going to save anyone if nobody is listening.

I have to guess every youth pastor at every church in Houston knows about NGEN. The kids just aren't listening.

AIR1 is doing well with younger demos.

Generally most Christian Radio is catering to the 'saved' versus the unsaved. It's all about the numbers because every station has to pay the bills.

Regardless, they won't be giving up and putting this station on the market. Giving up isn't in the Bible.

Where have I seen a talking donkey? Oh - yeah - that movie about a big green guy!

NGEN's heavy emphasis on Rap and Hip-Hop might be a turnoff for many listeners. Very little of that on Air1.

Meanwhile I notice that NGEN has some new billboards. Has "Rebels without a cause" in large white block letters over a black background. The "out" looks like it has been crossed out by spray paint, and a graffiti-like "91.7" is on one side. Nothing about NGEN anywhere.

I recall reading posts from some years back (around the time the Sugarland, Brenham, and Lake Jackson signals sprang up) of a possibility of a "lightforce" type format (Christian Rock) but stand to be corrected on that fact.....

They're playing lots of non Christian music especially right now. Sounds like when Hot 95.7 was playing mixes. Lots of Trap and club mixes.

Getting Addicted to this station now lol.

Playing some CUMBIA SONG named GABY CUMBIA. Not very Christian of them to play this music. Sounding lots like HOT 95.7 and THE BOX 97.9

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom