Can the DFW pull in KFYO at night? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can the DFW pull in KFYO at night?

Quote Originally Posted by The Rimshot View Post
    KDKA is a pretty impressive catch.

WCJ, have you tried pulling in 1670AM out of Macon, GA? WMGE it is a Fox Sports affiliate. I pulled it in like I was driving around in Middle Georgia one night back in early April. I was driving in between Lake Charles and Lafayette and it was clear as a bell.
    Rimshot, have had t-storms in my neck of the wood past couple of mornings, but was able to pull in WMGE this morning around 0515 with a clear sky. I'm using a Sangean ATS-909X with about a 100' SW-NE long wire @ 25'.

The only station I'm aware of in North America that operates on 1610 is based out of Canada. At one time Jimmy Swaggert (Swaggart?) had a CP for 1610 in Central Texas. I've only gotten WOZN on 1670, they are always here starting around sunset.

There's CHHA Toronto on 1610. Otherwise it's the Caribbean Beacon in Anguilla, and hundreds of different HAR/TIS stations throughout the nation.
    742 AM's in the log, 614 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 93.9 KSOU Sioux Center, IA; 8/13/17
    Last New AM Log: 1450 KQDI Great Falls, MT; 10/9/17

I heard 1620 KOZN Bellevue, NE over 1620 WTAW College Station in Port Lavaca right around dusk. Pretty cool.

I'm surprised I can't get Pensacola's 1620. They may be daytime only, I haven't checked.

Quote Originally Posted by WCJ View Post
    Rimshot, have had t-storms in my neck of the wood past couple of mornings, but was able to pull in WMGE this morning around 0515 with a clear sky. I'm using a Sangean ATS-909X with about a 100' SW-NE long wire @ 25'.
    Thanks for the heads up, WCJ.

WMGE 1670AM is pretty amazing. I can't wait to see how far west I can pull it in on my next South Louisiana road trip.

IIRC the new 1610 was supposed to be Christian talk KPYN in Atlanta TX moved from 900. I think had technical problems upgrading their old tower (most likely didn't have enough money) so they never did it.

BTW Anyone know why the FCC hasn't added any expanded band stations in years? No demand?
    Last edited by billyg; 06-16-2017 at 11:06 PM.

When the FCC first launched the expanded band, it forbid adding any additional stations there. I'm also thinking the FCC limited the 10,000 watt day/1,000 watt night signal was limited to the inaugural stations. Those channels were to be licensed as local channels outside of those licensees.

I'm guessing it's a combination of not much demand for 1,000 watt signals that high on the dial and the FCC not wanting to revisit its original rule making.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by billyg View Post
    IIRC the new 1610 was supposed to be Christian talk KPYN in Atlanta TX moved from 900. I think had technical problems upgrading their old tower (most likely didn't have enough money) so they never did it.

BTW Anyone know why the FCC hasn't added any expanded band stations in years? No demand?
    The standard for X-Band stations is 10 kw day and 1 kw at night, non-directional. This allowed multiple uses of the frequency nationally. Any higher nigh power and the near-shortwave X-Band channels would interfere with each other.

The FCC later made a couple of exceptions for coastal X-Band stations allowing them to directionalize with 10 kw at night, but no more than the equivalent of 1 kw towards anyplace in the US.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234