• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Danielle (97X) takes over mornings at Magic 94.9

Safe and easy choice from within. Cox wasn't gonna invest in another "show" to compete with Hot down the hall. I get the feeling that Danielle will be asked to simply play the music and steer the ship so to speak; just as she's done at 97X. Should be a pretty easy task if they haven't taken 94.9 to far towards the "hits" end of Hot AC and gets lost among the female targeting hit music stations. The adult contemporary competition should be very interesting over the next 6 months in this market. I feel there's a couple stations that are gonna have a make or break Summer and not all of them are gonna see Christmas in their current form. Magic is a strong brand and should be OK; it's Mix I'm wondering about.

So where does this leave 97X? Has that station been trending down? What about that format? Is it really that strong anymore?

Safe and easy choice from within. Cox wasn't gonna invest in another "show" to compete with Hot down the hall. I get the feeling that Danielle will be asked to simply play the music and steer the ship so to speak; just as she's done at 97X. Should be a pretty easy task if they haven't taken 94.9 to far towards the "hits" end of Hot AC and gets lost among the female targeting hit music stations. The adult contemporary competition should be very interesting over the next 6 months in this market. I feel there's a couple stations that are gonna have a make or break Summer and not all of them are gonna see Christmas in their current form. Magic is a strong brand and should be OK; it's Mix I'm wondering about.

So where does this leave 97X? Has that station been trending down? What about that format? Is it really that strong anymore?

97X has been trending slightly down, but not out of it's typical range (1.5-2.5 12+) It's about as healthy as one might expect given it's mediocre signal. I'm guessing they'll simply move Erika to mornings and continue on.

Still probably the best format for the frequency, as it's not replicated elsewhere in the market. Can't think of another format that would do any better (especially since iHeart launched Classic Hip Hop/R&B on the former Thunder translators).

As for AC, my money is on "Santa 98.7" making another appearance. Chadd & Kristy will most likely end up at Q105. Mason is going to retire at some point....B98.7 just feels like a stop-gap measure to tie up the talent until that time. Why invest in decent talent and bury them on that lousy signal?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom