• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Silent AM Stations

J Alex Bowab

Frequent Participant
I have not posted on this forum for a long time. Last weekend I traveled from Mobile to Birmingham (and back the next day). Younger people, I know, don't have any idea that AM still exists... but I'm well outside that demo. After a lifetime in radio, I still drop in on AM to see what is going on, although no programming there interests me. I took note of a number of AMs that were silent both days. As I passed thru Evergreen, 1470 was silent. Around Montgomery, not a peep out of 1170, nor 1410 Prattville. And 950 Montgomery must have been on its night power of 45 watts, as it was pitifully weak. Nothing on 980 through Clanton. In Birmingham, 1320 was silent both days.

Alex: You predicted this many years ago when in the Jackson, MS. market...and you were right. I am afraid AM revitalization is but a " catch clause " that will become another chapter in
the demise of the band. Regards J Boyd

Alex: You predicted this many years ago when in the Jackson, MS. market...and you were right. I am afraid AM revitalization is but a " catch clause " that will become another chapter in
the demise of the band. Regards J Boyd

If I might be pardoned for mention of a Mississippi item in this forum: Jackson area may hold the record for the greatest number of AM stations to go dark ... 1450, 1550, 1590, and 720 ... 780 has done through long silent periods ... so has 810 Magee ... and 850 in nearby Forest is gone also.

J Alex! So wonderful to see that you're still alive and kicking. I can't remember the last time I saw a post from you. Thank you for stopping in to say hello.

It's not surprising to see so many dark AMs that aren't on the FCC's silent list. They claim to care about radio but do nothing to enforce the rules. With the coming relaxation of the FM translator relay rules, I imagine more stations will be lowering power levels to the bare minimum just to keep things "legal" when feeding a translator. And those without translators will continue to struggle.

1470 kind of surprises me to be off so soon after they were supposed to have flipped to a news/talk format. If you saw their website you wouldn't know anything is amiss, but their Facebook page appears to have become abandoned shortly after their March 1st flip date. They wound up postponing the flip due to severe weather in the area (!) but after that I lost touch with them. There are a few posts from visitors going back to early March asking if the station would be back on the air, so they've been off for a month now, more or less.

Update: They filed a silent STA in January due to economic conditions, so I presume any time off the air again would be covered under that. It was for 180 days.

With 1170 in Montgomery I'd be curious to know if the translator is still on, because that would be illegal over the long term. (I'm 99.9% sure it's on the air.) They had a problem a few years back due to storm damage, and later they dropped to a simpler two tower setup to keep costs down.

Update: These guys are operating under an STA as well, for 4 watts. They said the daytime Continental transmitter was destroyed by lightning in December 2016 and they recently filed an extension to the original STA. So I wonder if it was on, just impossible to receive?

1410 in Prattville is the only one of the stations you (didn't) hear that is actually on the FCC silent list. It's been off for what seems like eons.

1320 has had a history of being off and on (mostly off) but it doesn't really matter now that Summit is feeding their translators via an HD-3 channel. Unless they finagle a way to wedge another translator into Birmingham, I expect 1320 to stay off.

950 is probably just balancing things out, to make up for all the time they were ON the air with a deleted license, ha ha. I'm sure their FM translator is chugging away because no one cares.

J Alex, have you been following the saga of 1220 and 1480 in Mobile? 1220 lost their tower site in Fairhope and was supposed to be diplexed on the 1480 tower but it never did a good job of reaching across the bay, so they finally swapped formats and put the standards on 1480. I can actually listen to it in Foley now! Unfortunately, as is all too common on AM radio, they are only playing one channel of audio so a lot of times you only hear half a song.

Last edited:
WKLF 95.5 FM was booming real good, Monday, when I was visiting Maplesville.
WGMP 104.9 FM is still on. Sometimes, I can hear them in Selma.
WIQR 1410 AM is still off. Highly doubt if this one will ever return. If they do, I'll be surprised.
WZKD 950 AM is still on and their relay is very powerful. I've been hearing it like a local, as of late, here in Selma.
Birmingham radio is boring to me. I no longer keep up with that station or the others they have.

Dan <><

P.S. Concerning WPNS, no sound is coming from their stream link. Also I have yet to find a program schedule for them. Strange indeed.

Last edited:
106.3 FM WZNN is still booming Classic Country. Didn't hear no ID's or Commercials period.

Dan <><

P.S. This station is now a hard catch in Selma. I could get them very well. Since relocating their tower and transmitter, I've been unable to.

Last edited:
I thought Wikipedia reported WCOX Camden was changing owners. Wonder what happened?

Dan <><

Last edited:
I thought Wikipedia reported WCOX Camden was changing owners. Wonder what happened?

Dan <><

Wikipedia is not a particularly reliable source for station sales data... or even station historical data. If there is a sale pending, there will be data on the FCC site. Look, specifically, at https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=17480 under the link to assignments and transfers.

In this case, no application is pending. Down Home Broadcasting and the Rev. Craig are still the owners and the station is listed as being silent.

Certainly the first I've heard about it. I imagine Rev. Craig will continue to hold on to his massively illegally run stations until he's six feet under, and they'll get shuffled off to someone else who also thinks FCC rules are just suggestions.

WENN-AM is back on the air...for how long..that's anybody's guess. Signal is VERY weak here in south Shelby County and barely audible, which is how the station sounds most of the time. Maybe they are using the 111 watts around the clock which is assigned for nighttime hours?

Could be. I'm sure they're doing the absolute bare minimum to keep the license active. With the format being carried on an HD2 or HD3 side channel now, there is no need to keep the AM up for legal purposes. I'll be shocked if they don't just turn in the license at some point. What good is it anymore?

Very funny post about WCOX, Mr. Zach.

I got a big kick out of it.

Concerning all the AM stations, now being heard on a FM relay, wish there was a way to shut down the AM side for good and turn in those licenses.

FM has a better sound quality and coverage area to begin with.

Dan <><

Last edited:
WKLF AM was off today, as I was traveling through Maplesville. Their FM counterpart was booming real good and broadcasting in glorious mono. WZNN 106.3 FM Maplesville is still stunting with Classic Country but the signal is a lot weaker now.

Dan <><

Does anyone think Dr. Neolin Craig could get Wikipedia for posting false info?

Hate to see it being spread towards anyone, especially an elderly person.

Dan <><

P.S. Found so much, on there, it would take an eternity to clean it up.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom