• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rumor alert: 101.1

Yeah, the signal seems somewhat better. Still a lot of interference once you get up over the ridge, but not as much.

They had the HD2 on Thursday PM, and back to the main signal this morning.

Re: the contest, safety is the most overrated of all the virtues. Mike Rowe said it best--Safety Third, not Safety First. Common sense and personal responsibility are first and second.
http://www.ishn.com/articles/93505-...safety-third-is--a-conversation-worth-having-

But the FCC is a political organization, and as such optics and other BS matter. Plus many of the laws and regs in this country that various agencies make money and payroll off of would be superfluous if common sense and personal responsibility came first.

Yeah, the signal seems somewhat better. Still a lot of interference once you get up over the ridge, but not as much.

They had the HD2 on Thursday PM, and back to the main signal this morning.

Re: the contest, safety is the most overrated of all the virtues. Mike Rowe said it best--Safety Third, not Safety First. Common sense and personal responsibility are first and second.
http://www.ishn.com/articles/93505-...safety-third-is--a-conversation-worth-having-

But the FCC is a political organization, and as such optics and other BS matter. Plus many of the laws and regs in this country that various agencies make money and payroll off of would be superfluous if common sense and personal responsibility came first.

Completely agree! The only winners in our society today are the lawyers. Not that that surprises because 98% of congress (with a lower case "c" as a sign of contempt) are lawyers.

One theory about the format "swapping" is it may be unintentional. It could be that the receiver taking the signal off air for the translator defaults back to analog whenever there is a power failure. It seems like the format changes every time there is bad weather....

I just drove last WLJS’s new tower. They have the antenna mounted on top of the tower now. I am not sure whether they are actually using the tower yet. When they do WLJA will have a 40 dBu signal almost to the airport. 40 dBu will work in cars and might even stop scan in some locations. Large concrete and steel buildings are another story.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101681829&qnum=5330&copynum=1&exhcnum=2

BTW they just filed a FCC 335-FM DIGITAL NOTIFICATION for 85 watts April 4th, so the translator’s 60 dBu will be about the only coverage one can expect.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/cdbs...cct=0&appn=101754263&fac_num=36892&formid=335

I wonder if they can could move it to 102.1

all this focus on 101.1 getting up and starting a new Atlanta signal we have missed the new Immanuel Broadcasting translator on 102.1fm serving a chunk of the metro. Its feed BY WUBL HD 2

I think they're simulcasting morning drive. But they need to start selling spots so they can make the electric bill and tower site rent.
The legal system is a racket. I was stunned when I was put on PROBATION for making a U turn in front of WalMart. But as I left the courtroom, I proudly proclaimed that I'll never return to Chamblee again. I'll just take my business to Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. You should have seen the look on those officers' faces in the courtroom!

I noticed it was on the HD-2 feed all week up until tonight. The signal is much stronger but the Stereo pilot has been turned off for about a week now.

Sorry for my rant.

I noticed the signal gets very choppy about 50/50 with WLJA north of PIB. But I hope they stay with it for longer than just one book.
Have you noticed that with their high compression and warbly mp3's, some songs sound like a cassette tape playing?

I noticed the signal gets very choppy about 50/50 with WLJA north of PIB. But I hope they stay with it for longer than just one book.
Have you noticed that with their high compression and warbly mp3's, some songs sound like a cassette tape playing?

WLJA had not moved to their new tower yet.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WLJA-FM&s=C

the new 50 dBm coverage (distant on radio locator) and 40 dBm (fringe) and the limited on channel protection C3s will really mess up the translator north of I20.

there will not be enough time for this station to gain any kind of traction. This format on a "real" signal most likely will not happen.

Noticed today 101.1 is finally back on the air in stereo broadcasting the "Classic Side of Star" after 3 months of silence, bad audio, mono broadcast, and flip flopping back and forth between Star 94 HD 1 and 2.

Well yesterday and today its been dead air. I think their site (Stone Mountain) is particularly prone to lightning strikes and power failures. They probably need to install an UPS with accompanying surge protection.
Their HD receiver is probably a consumer model, which, after a power interruption, does not come back on. Hence, the dead air.

I believe they finally moved the tower inside of the perimeter over on Briarcliff. Up until it went dead, the sound was in stereo but sounded very compressed. I find it hard to receive the station in town and north of I-285, WLJA consumes it. With me living out east of town, I find the signal to be the same now as it was when it was on Stone Mountain. If I recall correctly, when I walked up Stone Mountian early last year, W266BW was being consumed by WLJA on top of the mountain even as I was standing right next to the W266BW transmitter.

Their HD receiver is probably a consumer model, which, after a power interruption, does not come back on. Hence, the dead air.

Are they really using an HD receiver? I didn't think the FCC required the translator to pick up the actual signal to rebroadcast anymore. I thought using alternative means was okay now.

It appears that is what they are doing. I believe its a Sangean tuner. Yes, they could feed it numerous other ways.

Format Change: Latino Rap or Punk Country?

The high compression could be due to the automation software. Some automation software has it built in. (Believe its under tools-options or configuration, where it can be enabled or disabled.) It was probably set up by an IT guy who didn't realize the transmitter had its own processing. So it got double compression.
I've played around with automation software compression and I didn't like the way it sounded. But maybe my ears just like the Orban sound better.
But it sounds OK on the portable radio in my garage with the 3 inch speaker.

The high compression could be due to the automation software. Some automation software has it built in. (

I was under the impression that true broadcast automation / storage software may have offered file compression in some instances, but not audio compression. File compression is a throwback to about 2 decades ago when disk space was expensive, and some stations used compressed formats to store files.

Today, with 1tb drives costing about $50 it is not necessary to use compressed files.

However, I can see where automation software for online stations or LPFMs might offer some form of level control, but I am not familiar with such apps. And any compression / AGC / limiting function has to be configurable to each station's format and desires, so it would not be an "on/off" toggle.

I believe he is talking about Zara (paid version), Stereo Tool, or my favorite Breakaway (don’t be cheap pony up the $300 and get the RDS too). The Breakaway IMHO is the best bang for your buck.

HD 2 or 3 can suffer from a bad data rate. There are settings for each HD channel. 48 on the real (HD1) and HD2 seems to work really well. WLJA HD2 was running 93.7 and 1580 in Ellijay with a very low rate. The AM actually sounded better than the FM IMHO.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom