• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rumor alert: 101.1

The rebroadcast of Start 94 on 101.1 is ridiculous, so rumor is that the HD2 (70s and 80s hits) feed will start around noon today on 101.1???

I told ya this was going to happen....Might have been my idea to get it started???

Follow my email trail......

Had an unrelated fire to put out today; keep your ear on it over the coming days!

Tony Lorino

Program Director

WSTR-FM/HD1 & HD2| Star 94.1

Entercom Atlanta

Phone: (404) 238-9446

www.star941atlanta.com

Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:16 PM
To: Tony Lorino <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: 94.1 HD2

Guess it's not happening

Sent from my android device.

-----Original Message-----
To: b <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 4:23 PM
Subject: RE: 94.1 HD2

Hmmm… good idea!

Maybe listen tomorrow, say after Noon?

Tony Lorino

Program Director

Entercom Atlanta

www.star941atlanta.com

star941long TINY

Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: 94.1 HD2

tony.

Please put this on the 101.1 translator, why are you translating a 100k blowtorch on a 250 translator in the same city?

Please

On 2/6/2017 9:16 AM, Tony Lorino wrote:

I just got that too – thank you so much!!

Tony Lorino

Program Director

Entercom Atlanta

www.star941atlanta.com

star941long TINY

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2017 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: 94.1 HD2

Definitely. Sounds like radio use to. I left a voice mail as well. Thanks again

Sent from my android device.

-----Original Message-----
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 9:05 AM
Subject: 94.1 HD2

Hi Brent – thanks much for the note! We’re having fun with it… and you’re right, no one is playing these classics from the 70s and 80s. Tell your friends about it and enjoy!!

Tony Lorino

Program Director

Entercom Atlanta

www.star941atlanta.com

star941long TINY

Last edited:
Now can you ask Cox when they are going to move TOSOTR to 92.5? 92.5 is supposed to be a nondirectional, full power (250W) translator from the cell tower behind Discover Mills.

Heck, can you ask Cox when they are going to put WSB-FM-HD2 on a translator?

Now can you ask Cox when they are going to move TOSOTR to 92.5? 92.5 is supposed to be a nondirectional, full power (250W) translator from the cell tower behind Discover Mills.

They could use the existing 97.7 once it moves to 92.5. I assume they will keep 97.7 active don't you think? I agree. What's the hold up on 92.5? TOSOTR is a great station that doesn't reach enough people. It really plays the entire 99X history.

Last edited:

Believe me I have definitely tried on the HD2 feed as well.

You think we will get classic AT40 on this station? Sunny 103.1 (Cumulus) in Myrtle Beach was playing this noon-4 on Sunday when I was there a few weeks ago. I figured if 106.7 ever flipped to true classic hits they would do the same thing. Hopefully this station will give it a shot. Also thought Rick Dees would come to Star 94.1 after Entercom took over since he's played on other Entercom stations across the country. I guess I was wrong about that happening.

"The Classic Sound of Star" (Wouldn't that be WQXI-FM, 94Q?)

Pretty standard eclectic 70s and 80s Top 40 mix. Seems a little heavier than expected on the R&B, but not by much.

What is the rule for reduced power for new translators? 30 days at half licensed power? According to Radio-Locator the station signed on on 3/3.

It doesn't sound like a full 250W. It's on the same TV candelabra as the two Cumulus/Q100 translators (97.9/98.9), near Channel 36 and formerly Channel 46, at about the same height (955m HAAT vs 995m HAAT)--but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as them.

It does null to the northwest (I would say between the US 41 and PIB corridors, most heavily between I-75 and Ga. 400--sorry folks in Cherokee and Forsyth), but not that badly.

It seems to have a hard time clearing its channel of interference. I got a lot of interference along the Top End, less so as I approached Spaghetti Junction and got out of the null and went up I-85, but still a decent amount of spit. Once I got up on Peachtree Ridge I got a lot of interference from out of town stations, which isn't uncommon for weaker stations.

Processing could use some improvement. The station sounded flat and compressed with poor dynamic range and high frequency response.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W266BW-FX

Oddly, the translator has a CoL of Winder. I doubt it would make it that far. Yes, I know that translators don't have to cover their CoL.

Good work so far by Entercom. Just get the power up and clean up the processing.

"The Classic Sound of Star" (Wouldn't that be WQXI-FM, 94Q?)

Pretty standard eclectic 70s and 80s Top 40 mix. Seems a little heavier than expected on the R&B, but not by much.

What is the rule for reduced power for new translators? 30 days at half licensed power? According to Radio-Locator the station signed on on 3/3.

It doesn't sound like a full 250W. It's on the same TV candelabra as the two Cumulus/Q100 translators (97.9/98.9), near Channel 36 and formerly Channel 46, at about the same height (955m HAAT vs 995m HAAT)--but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as them.

It does null to the northwest (I would say between the US 41 and PIB corridors, most heavily between I-75 and Ga. 400--sorry folks in Cherokee and Forsyth), but not that badly.

It seems to have a hard time clearing its channel of interference. I got a lot of interference along the Top End, less so as I approached Spaghetti Junction and got out of the null and went up I-85, but still a decent amount of spit. Once I got up on Peachtree Ridge I got a lot of interference from out of town stations, which isn't uncommon for weaker stations.

Processing could use some improvement. The station sounded flat and compressed with poor dynamic range and high frequency response.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W266BW-FX

Oddly, the translator has a CoL of Winder. I doubt it would make it that far. Yes, I know that translators don't have to cover their CoL.

Good work so far by Entercom. Just get the power up and clean up the processing.

Cumulus uses a panel type antenna that creates a more uniform signal in all directions around the antenna. The 101.1 affair is a side mounted "ring" style antenna and will have a more dense signal in certain areas than others.
As you point out, co-channel interference is a major factor when comparing translator signals. 97.9 is, by far, the best translator signal in Atlanta. 93.7 (The Fan) is on the same antenna, same power essentially, and has a much worse signal outside the Perimeter and it's due to cochannel interference in certain areas of the metro area. 101.1 is receiving interference on the north side from the Ellijay station WLJA on 101.1 that recently increased power

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WLJA-FM

Processing is an interesting discussion. I like the open, clean sound of WRAS HD3and WSB-FM HD2. But many like the heavily processed sound of 94.1 HD2 and I'm sure that's why it sounds that way. Star analog sounds the same and it's on purpose...they have the processing and engineering talent to make it sound any way programming wants it to sound.

Last edited:
As you point out, co-channel interference is a major factor when comparing translator signals. 97.9 is, by far, the best translator signal in Atlanta. 93.7 (The Fan) is on the same antenna, same power essentially, and has a much worse signal outside the Perimeter and it's due to cochannel interference in certain areas of the metro area. 101.1 is receiving interference on the north side from the Ellijay station WLJA on 101.1 that recently increased power

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WLJA-FM

That would explain why there's a NW null, and why the interference got so bad up on the ridge. Still awfully close geographically to WLJA. But then again, there are cochannel translators in ATL that are close to 102.9 WDUN-FM and 103.7 WXKT geographically, both just north of Gainesville.

Incidentally, 101.1 was back simulcasting the main Star 94 signal today.

If they are at full power, they may be compressing their signal to make up for the interference.

I just seem to remember that when 99.1/98.9 first went on the air the signal was a lot worse at first due to some FCC reg not letting them go full power right away (and not just the weaker signal on 99.1 to protect the cochannel station in Macon).

That would explain why there's a NW null, and why the interference got so bad up on the ridge. Still awfully close geographically to WLJA. But then again, there are cochannel translators in ATL that are close to 102.9 WDUN-FM and 103.7 WXKT geographically, both just north of Gainesville.

Incidentally, 101.1 was back simulcasting the main Star 94 signal today.

If they are at full power, they may be compressing their signal to make up for the interference.

I just seem to remember that when 99.1/98.9 first went on the air the signal was a lot worse at first due to some FCC reg not letting them go full power right away (and not just the weaker signal on 99.1 to protect the cochannel station in Macon).

Yes, the simulcast of HD2 was short lived?????TOO BAD

I'd argue, generally speaking, Entercom is actually one of the best ran companies out there. Give them some time to figure all this out with 101.1. They will bring back the format. There just playing with a few things right now.

One day it might be oldies. Another day they're simulcasting. Tomorrow it might be gospel.
With Entercom, you never know. They are the worst run company I've ever seen.
They lost their Sacramento station:
https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...com-surrenders-license-of-kdnd-sacramento-mov
Glad I never worked for a company who lost a station.

They didn't "lose" Sacramento...they wisely gave it up to placate the FCC and people who wanted to challenge their licenses because of one stupid contest. How the FCC could seriously consider pulling a license because someone died from not urinating makes you really think...have we really deleted the concept of personal responsibility in our society?

David Fields is one of the people who actually believe in the future of radio. Entercom is a pureplay radio outfit which is an endangered specie... He gets it!! Radio reaches over 90% of the public every day...even with all the other competition.

Anyone who plans on surviving will need to explore new paradigms and business models. Don't kick a guy who is at least trying!

The book keepers will record it as a "loss". It had to be awfully difficult to fold up that license (worth millions) and mail it back to the FCC, knowing they're not going to give you a dime for it.
At least they can maybe sell off the fixed assets for a couple hundred thousand.
CERTAINLY an embarassment for the company!

The book keepers will record it as a "loss". It had to be awfully difficult to fold up that license (worth millions) and mail it back to the FCC, knowing they're not going to give you a dime for it.
At least they can maybe sell off the fixed assets for a couple hundred thousand.
CERTAINLY an embarassment for the company!

The embarrassment occurred when the station did the unfortunate contest that got it into trouble. It appears that none of the staff that was there at the time is now with Entercom, but what lingers is the stain on the station's reputation.

By turning in the license Entercom has effectively erased the record of the misdoing, and shown to the Commission that they have taken the maximum penalty possible. To the industry, Entercom shows it is serious and willing to make the adjustments needed to grow the company.

Overall, Entercom traded the value of a post recession Sacramento FM, about $7 million based on pre-recession prices in the $25 million range, for the ability to do the CBS deal without snags. Rather brilliant thinking.

The embarrassment occurred when the station did the unfortunate contest that got it into trouble. It appears that none of the staff that was there at the time is now with Entercom, but what lingers is the stain on the station's reputation.

By turning in the license Entercom has effectively erased the record of the misdoing, and shown to the Commission that they have taken the maximum penalty possible. To the industry, Entercom shows it is serious and willing to make the adjustments needed to grow the company.

Overall, Entercom traded the value of a post recession Sacramento FM, about $7 million based on pre-recession prices in the $25 million range, for the ability to do the CBS deal without snags. Rather brilliant thinking.

I would argue the FCC and the general public's response was totally unreasonable! We are talking about a contest where to win you had to hold your urine the longest. Any mentally competent adult knows the body signal(s) for "you had better go or else..." The fact that Entercom, along with the staff that dreamed up the contest was held liable shows what a dysfunctional society we have become!! If you can't control your bodily functions YOU need medical assistance and YOU should NOT decide to enter a contest where control of bodily functions is the contest. Geebus!!

This contest in no way "proves" Entercom is unfit as a licensee. I can't believe it has gained the traction that it has. As David points out, Entercom paid the most severe penalty for their "transgression." Furthermore, it is not an embarassment for Entercom...it is an embarrassment for the people of the United States. People only have pity for crybabies....

Last edited:
Don't forget Entercom paid $16M to the victims family.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND
They must have known the fight to keep the license wouldn't be worth it.
Yea, 101.1 was oldies yesterday but this morning they're simulcasting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom