• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LA's Oldies/80s 'Consultant' speaks about the new K-SURF

H

Hot Hits

** Playlist Rotation
"Steve Thompson remains in denial, it seems, of everything he learned when he asked questions of myself and David Gleason of Univision Radio a few years ago about how music is programmed on Classic Hits stations.

Yes, it is well known that KRTH plays some songs as often as five times a day, but as he should know, those are the songs which rate the highest in auditorium testing. I would estimate that close to one-third of their library plays at least three times a day, but these are the songs that [and you got this right, Steve ... no 'apparently'] their listeners never get tired of them. Take into account that the average listener only tunes in for about 20 minutes at a time, multiple times per day, and it is relatively easy, using today's music scheduling software, to have the repeats turn up in different hours over several days. The end result is that the average listener only hears a song once or twice out of two dozen plays over an entire week.

It's only the 'deep playlist' fans like Steve who refuse to accept the fact [and he did mention KRTH's high ratings] that a smaller playlist, consisting of well-researched songs that listeners rank as the ones they want to hear often, will always perform better than one consisting of more titles, but as a consequence play those high-ranked listener favorites less frequently. As for Saul Levine and KSUR, he is in an entirely different situation. He doesn't have to use a tight playlist because (1) he's getting listeners just from the format flip in the first place; (2) most of these songs haven't been on the air in L.A. for many years anyway; and (3) he doesn't have to worry about ratings, because he knows going in that the Oldies format will get an older audience and all the ad buys are going to be local, not agency. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road he tightened it up a bit, once the novelty wears off ... but he certainly doesn't have to do that as KRTH must to remain competitive. My admiration for Saul for taking chances simply because he can afford to remains at a 'power rotation' level." - K.M. Richards

** Message from Saul Levine
"1260 AM [K-SURF] is now programming Oldies 24/7. My company, Mount Wilson FM, has owned an operated 1260 for 25 years. We have tried several different formats over this period of time. Standards have been featured on three different occasions, each time, up-dating the presentation to more modern renditions hoping to make the format successful.

Recently, when our research confirmed the need for an Oldies format in LA, we decided to move the Standards to 105.1 HD 3, and the Web, but to retain it. The move to Oldies on 1260, on 105.1 HD 2, as well as at LAOldies.com, has achieved enough support to justify its presence now on 1260 as a 24/7 format.

Supporting this move is a better AM signal. Our engineers have installed new equipment which has increased the area in which 1260 can be received along with the 100 mile coverage on 105.1 HD2. Also 1260 now operates with 20,000 watts in contrast to the 5,000 watts when we acquired it from Buckley Radio. I am optimistic that in contrast to the Standards format that never seemed to break through with a saleable demo that K-SURF / LAOldies will be successful.

In response to some who think I enjoy changing formats, a reminder that I placed 105.1/fm on the air in 1959 (about 60 years ago) and there have only been two formats prior to Country which has now passed TEN years and will never be changed." - Saul Levine, President Mount Wilson FM

Rule #1: If it's your money, you get to spend it any way you like.

Saul is great. I like the way he is never afraid to take chances, doesn't run his stations according to the established corporate norms that are espoused by certain "consultants", and he makes no apologies whether or not his decisions turn out to be successful. Like Big A says, it's his money, his stations, and it's his way.

If you are a fan of good music, Saul has had a format for you at one time or another. With his non-formulaic approach and large playlists, radio is a much more interesting and definitely better place. What we need is a few more Sauls and a lot less "consutants".

** Playlist Rotation
"Steve Thompson remains in denial, it seems, of everything he learned when he asked questions of myself and David Gleason of Univision Radio a few years ago about how music is programmed on Classic Hits stations.

Yes, it is well known that KRTH plays some songs as often as five times a day, but as he should know, those are the songs which rate the highest in auditorium testing. I would estimate that close to one-third of their library plays at least three times a day, but these are the songs that [and you got this right, Steve ... no 'apparently'] their listeners never get tired of them. Take into account that the average listener only tunes in for about 20 minutes at a time, multiple times per day, and it is relatively easy, using today's music scheduling software, to have the repeats turn up in different hours over several days. The end result is that the average listener only hears a song once or twice out of two dozen plays over an entire week.

It's only the 'deep playlist' fans like Steve who refuse to accept the fact [and he did mention KRTH's high ratings] that a smaller playlist, consisting of well-researched songs that listeners rank as the ones they want to hear often, will always perform better than one consisting of more titles, but as a consequence play those high-ranked listener favorites less frequently. As for Saul Levine and KSUR, he is in an entirely different situation. He doesn't have to use a tight playlist because (1) he's getting listeners just from the format flip in the first place; (2) most of these songs haven't been on the air in L.A. for many years anyway; and (3) he doesn't have to worry about ratings, because he knows going in that the Oldies format will get an older audience and all the ad buys are going to be local, not agency. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road he tightened it up a bit, once the novelty wears off ... but he certainly doesn't have to do that as KRTH must to remain competitive. My admiration for Saul for taking chances simply because he can afford to remains at a 'power rotation' level." - K.M. Richards

** Message from Saul Levine
"1260 AM [K-SURF] is now programming Oldies 24/7. My company, Mount Wilson FM, has owned an operated 1260 for 25 years. We have tried several different formats over this period of time. Standards have been featured on three different occasions, each time, up-dating the presentation to more modern renditions hoping to make the format successful.

Recently, when our research confirmed the need for an Oldies format in LA, we decided to move the Standards to 105.1 HD 3, and the Web, but to retain it. The move to Oldies on 1260, on 105.1 HD 2, as well as at LAOldies.com, has achieved enough support to justify its presence now on 1260 as a 24/7 format.

Supporting this move is a better AM signal. Our engineers have installed new equipment which has increased the area in which 1260 can be received along with the 100 mile coverage on 105.1 HD2. Also 1260 now operates with 20,000 watts in contrast to the 5,000 watts when we acquired it from Buckley Radio. I am optimistic that in contrast to the Standards format that never seemed to break through with a saleable demo that K-SURF / LAOldies will be successful.

In response to some who think I enjoy changing formats, a reminder that I placed 105.1/fm on the air in 1959 (about 60 years ago) and there have only been two formats prior to Country which has now passed TEN years and will never be changed." - Saul Levine, President Mount Wilson FM

I am sure it was just an oversight, but it should be mentioned that all of this came from Don Barrett's LARadio.com (www.laradio.com)

With his non-formulaic approach and large playlists, radio is a much more interesting and definitely better place. What we need is a few more Sauls and a lot less "consutants".

However, I know that Saul uses "consultants." And as he said in the above quote, he looks at research.

Let me also tell you that his country station, which is his biggest success, is pretty standard commercial country. He doesn't do Americana, and he sticks with the hits.

Last edited:
If you are a fan of good music, Saul has had a format for you at one time or another. With his non-formulaic approach and large playlists, radio is a much more interesting and definitely better place. What we need is a few more Sauls and a lot less "consutants".

Exactly ....a great sounding station too. Certainly many of these songs, the soundtrack of L.A. Hope it stays around for a long time.

, the soundtrack of L.A.

Considering the ethnic and immigrant population percentages in LA today, it's probably the soundtrack of just a couple of percent of the population, at best.

All I see are some 'ok' songs and, then, BOOM, a bad song. I'm 58 and this is a tune out.

Considering the ethnic and immigrant population percentages in LA today, it's probably the soundtrack of just a couple of percent of the population, at best.

And??? Google says the estimated population of the LA metro area is 18.7 million people. Even 2% would still represent 374,000 people. Surely you don't object to a two-bit AM signal and FM HD channel to service all those people who do view this music as their lives' soundtrack? I see nothing wrong with a station super-serving a non-immigrant, non-ethnic audience, just as I don't have a problem with the numerous stations that do serve those communities.

All I see are some 'ok' songs and, then, BOOM, a bad song. I'm 58 and this is a tune out.

I listened for a while this morning and didn't hear anything really unfamiliar but, at 61, I found the station skewed just a little too old. "You Can't Hurry Love" played. OK, I was 11 when that was a hit and I liked it. But then I heard "Twilight Time" and ummm, no thanks. "Incense and Peppermints," yes. "My Boyfriend's Back," no. All big hits, but not a good mix, at least to my ears. Although with what seems to be a 50-50 balance between pre- and post-Beatles music, the target listener is probably closer to 70 than 60 -- and even then, the much older listeners aren't going to want to hear late '60s psychedelia or British bands.

Although with what seems to be a 50-50 balance between pre- and post-Beatles music, the target listener is probably closer to 70 than 60 -- and even then, the much older listeners aren't going to want to hear late '60s psychedelia or British bands.

I agree, and if you remember, this was a problem at the time. It's why all that doo wop music went away from contemporary radio, because it sounded old. It's why Elvis struggled to have hits in the 60s, at least until he came up with something fresh like Burnin' Love. It's why Elvis fans didn't become into Beatle fans. They were different artists for different generations with different experiences. Consider how transitional the Beach Boys were, in terms of their harmonies, but then the change with Good Vibrations, and then the struggle they had to have hits after that. All of this music didn't work well back to back at the time, so what makes us think it'll work well now?

I agree, and if you remember, this was a problem at the time. It's why all that doo wop music went away from contemporary radio, because it sounded old. It's why Elvis struggled to have hits in the 60s, at least until he came up with something fresh like Burnin' Love. It's why Elvis fans didn't become into Beatle fans. They were different artists for different generations with different experiences. Consider how transitional the Beach Boys were, in terms of their harmonies, but then the change with Good Vibrations, and then the struggle they had to have hits after that. All of this music didn't work well back to back at the time, so what makes us think it'll work well now?

This is radio consultant talk at its best, which is of course to say, its worst. Not that anything you said is "wrong"; it probably is right on the money, but it misses the point. I was born after every one of these songs was made, charted, and faded away. But I recognize good music and whether it is doo wop or other pre-Beatles music like Buddy Holley, or later stuff like the Beach Boys, the Mamas and Papas or even Aretha Franklin, who didn't hit it big until 1967, and all of it is great and it sounds just fine back to back. There is a large segment of people who have not been served with any of this music for a long time and I guarantee you that they are just glad to have a station that plays a lot of the music they love, even if every track is not from their glory teenage days. If my grandparents were still around, this station would be in the background at their house all day long.

I have tuned in about three or four times since it has been on and have yet to be disappointed. Do they play a few clunkers due to the large playlist? Yep. Would I trade it in for the old KODJ four hundred song library that instantly burned out like a bad dragster? NO WAY. And besides, one person's clunker is another person's lost gem. Which brings us to the main point. This station is not KRTH, and need not be worried about the consultant formulaics that dedicated listeners hate. The stakes are high a KRTH and they can't afford even one clunker, so each song is heavily researched and played and played again like so many return visits to the Hotel California. This station super-serves a completely different core niche audience that is not expected to drive ratings, which gives the programmers a much freer hand to craft the radio station to them. So far, most of that audience appears to be liking what they are hearing.

Last edited:
There is a large segment of people who have not been served with any of this music for a long time and I guarantee you that they are just glad to have a station that plays a lot of the music they love, even if every track is not from their glory teenage days.

That wasn't the issue I was talking about. Sure, something is better than nothing. That doesn't change the fact that you're mixing water and oil. Some people will put up with music they don't like, if they can get a song or two they like. But that's not how people use media today. It's what led to format radio in the 70s. It's not that any of these are bad songs (although a few are), but they don't necessarily belong on the same station together just because they're old.

There is a large segment of people who have not been served with any of this music for a long time and I guarantee you that they are just glad to have a station that plays a lot of the music they love, even if every track is not from their glory teenage days. If my grandparents were still around, this station would be in the background at their house all day long.

No matter what your personal experience may be, the immense, overwhelming majority of people do not behave that way. And this is proven when research projects ask about songs that are outside each individual's window of life experience. Not only are such songs not liked, they are absolute tune-out songs for most of the audience.

I have tuned in about three or four times since it has been on and have yet to be disappointed. Do they play a few clunkers due to the large playlist? Yep. Would I trade it in for the old KODJ four hundred song library that instantly burned out like a bad dragster? NO WAY. And besides, one person's clunker is another person's lost gem. Which brings us to the main point. This station is not KRTH, and need not be worried about the consultant formulaics that dedicated listeners hate.

You are blaming consultants for doing what they are paid to do which is to help design, implement and maintain an appeal to the largest possible group of listeners. What you are describing is of appeal to a very small niche, nearly all of whom are over 60 and of no interest to most advertisers. Consultants do not create formats by thinking, "well, let's find a format that most advertisers don't want to be heard on, and then fill it with too many songs, so each listener will find that they hate many of the tunes and tune out every time they are played. And for good measure, lets look for an HD channel 95% of the folks don't know how to find and then simulcast it on a limited coverage AM station that sounds like crap." Yeah, that is what we do for a living.

The stakes are high a KRTH and they can't afford even one clunker, so each song is heavily researched and played and played again like so many return visits to the Hotel California. This station super-serves a completely different core niche audience that is not expected to drive ratings, which gives the programmers a much freer hand to craft the radio station to them. So far, most of that audience appears to be liking what they are hearing.

KRTh is hardly a "niche" station. It is ultra-mass-appeal. It reaches on average 25% of all 12+ persons in the market each week, and that is almost 3,000,000 listeners.

So what you are saying is that this new format is purposely not trying to reach many listeners, as there is no expectation of "driving ratings". In other words, let's do a format nobody wants to listen to, is not competitive in the market and, if it has any appeal at all, it will be among folks advertisers don't want to reach. Then they can write a book called "The Art of the Fail" and get rich off the publishing rights.

...the target listener is probably closer to 70 than 60 -- and even then, the much older listeners aren't going to want to hear late '60s psychedelia or British bands.

I listened and got the same impression on targeting that you did. A lot of the pre-British Invasion stuff was material I never liked or no longer like hearing as it is an embarrassment. And, in my case, I played a lot of those songs when they were currents and I was a freshman PD.

What a lot of armchair annalists don't take into account is that some of us have moved on. I'll take Ed Sheeran over the Shirelles, Wiz Khalifa over the Monotones and Pitbull over The Platters any day.

Having said all that, I agree with Saul that this station is more accessible than what he was doing previously on this frequency. But that's only because he's replacing music that aimed at people in their 80s with music that appeals to people in their late 60s and early 70s. So he's shaved about ten years off his average listener, and he may get a slight bounce from this. But it'll be telling to analyze the kinds of advertising he gets. We may see more of this with AM standards stations moving forward.

Then they can write a book called "The Art of the Fail" and get rich off the publishing rights.

Sounds like that book was written just last week.

Personally, I think ChannelFlipper hit it right on the nose. I haven't found their music mix to be offensive at all although some songs have clashed a bit with their neighbors. That isn't a tune out for me unless it happens often.

Personally, I think ChannelFlipper hit it right on the nose. I haven't found their music mix to be offensive at all although some songs have clashed a bit with their neighbors. That isn't a tune out for me unless it happens often.

You make my point. You are in an age group for which essentially no radio advertising money is available.

[SIZE="3

KRTh is hardly a "niche" station. It is ultra-mass-appeal. It reaches on average 25% of all 12+ persons in the market each week, and that is almost 3,000,000 listeners.
[/SIZE]

I said KSUR is the niche station. KRTH is obviously the mass appeal station, thus they cannot afford the clunkers.

You say what they are doing is a recipe for (financial) failure, and you are almost certainly correct. But I refer you back up to the discussion of it being Saul's station and his money. It is only a failure if he deems it so, and from all that I have read over the years, he doesn't mind the failures. He is a broadcaster committed to quality programming (by his own definition) and experimentation. Like all of the stations he has put on 1260, this one is not destined to last for all of the reasons you correctly note. But what you don't understand is not all success is measured in dollars. I am quite sure he is proud of even his "failures" and the fact that they were ever on the air at all is a success in and of itself. Remember: his stations, his rules, his definitions. Not yours, the market's, or anyone else's. I, like a lot of other people, plan to enjoy it for the 18 to 24 months it is here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom